Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are my number right? ( Cost Comparison)
Hey folks! Just checking my numbers in terms of cost comparison between/with 2 degrees.

cheersmate For those who may not know, my original intention was to complete my Associates in Business at Excelsior College, then transfer over to TESU and complete my Bachelors degree in Business: General management. Long story short, for one reason or another I've been off and on trying to complete my Associates degree *traditionally* for almost 15 years. I wanted it for emotional reasons, not logical.

Anyway, the further I progress in my mission to become degreed, the more and more I realize that I don't really care about getting an Associate's anymore. I'm still on the "fence" about it, but I reached a tipping point yesterday. Please take a look at my numbers to see if they make sense in regards to the Fees for both schools. Am I leaving out anything? :confused: (Fees for the first two columns are already counted in the cost statements)

Courses are not named, just credits counted. Course prices are based on Degree Plans kindly done for me by dfrecore (Thank you!!!)

*ECC Fee: This is the amount I have to pay my old college to release my transcripts.

** I know I could have made this post shorter, but I literally threw this together to see for myself, and to have a visual record. Smile

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]Thomas Edison Associates[/TD]
[TD]Thomas Edison Bachelors[/TD]
[TD]Excelsior Associates[/TD]
[TD]Both Excelsior Associates AND TESU BSBA[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]$3538 Total Cost[/TD]
[TD]$4697 - 5253[/TD]
[TD]$1095 Multi-Source enrollment fee[/TD]
[TD]$4704 Total Cost Excelsior[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]+1000 *ECC Fee[/TD]
[TD]+$1000 *ECC Fee[/TD]
[TD]$1230 =$410 x 3 hours tuition (Cap Stone)[/TD]
[TD]+ $1786 Remaining classes needed for TESU[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4538 Total Cost[/TD]
[TD]$5697-6253 Total Cost[/TD]
[TD]$450 graduation fee[/TD]
[TD]+2398 Residency Waiver Fee / App Fee/ Graduation Fee[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]+$1000 *ECC Fee[/TD]
[TD]Total Cost $8888[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]+$429 Cost of remaining classes[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]+500 Yearly fee[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]$4704 Total Cost[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]Difference is $3191 to get both - Screw that![/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">toastmaster TESC 2017 BSBA GenMan cheap (1).xlsx (Size: 75.59 KB / Downloads: 1)
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
Since it's an ASBA, you can get the degree FREE... On your way to a BSBA. Wink
Why do you need to go through two schools when you can get them both at TESU?
One school or the other, if you complete requirements at Excelsior or TESU for BSBA, the ASBA isn't required
unless you really want to have it show that you laddered your degree like what I am doing.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Are you using the POAG partnership pricing for Excelsior? We discussed costs back in July when the current year fees came out, but they may have changed since then.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-fees.html
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Yes! Smile Discovering POAG was one of the first things I did when I joined these forums (for which i am forever grateful!)

KayV Wrote:Are you using the POAG partnership pricing for Excelsior? We discussed costs back in July when the current year fees came out, but they may have changed since then.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-fees.html
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

FREE? WOW, I have to look into that! Big Grin It was for emotional reasons that I wanted to get my Associates. Life "got in the way" trying to go to a "traditional" school and I just wanted to finally GET IT DONE!

But now that I'm becoming a Credit Monster (LOL!), I see that I don't really have to pick up my Associates....I can go all the way to the "Top" and get my Bachelors! I wanted to use the Associates as a "MileStone" to stay focused...but....I don't think I need that now....I am so focused!

I chose Excelsior because being that I am in New York State, I am generally more familiar with them. Also, I love their colors, LOL!

bjcheung77 Wrote:Since it's an ASBA, you can get the degree FREE... On your way to a BSBA.
One school or the other, if you complete requirements at Excelsior or TESU for BSBA, the ASBA isn't required
unless you really want to have it show that you laddered your degree like what I am doing.

With the cost comparison you did, it's just really hard for me to figure out where the numbers all came from. So I can't comment.

The only thing I really would comment on is that I wouldn't do EC unless it was quite a bit cheaper. It's just not worth thousands of dollars to get it from one of the Big 3 over another. And, I wouldn't get an AA if it wasn't practically free. That's money that could be spent on courses instead. But that's me, and I am cheap!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
For the first two columns, I just used the numbers from the spreadsheets you gave me. For column three, i just used the POAG pricing for Excelsior (that I could find). For column 4, I just used the fees from the TESU spreadsheets, along with the estimated costs of the requirements from TESU, then added them to Excelsior.

I hear you though! I made up my mind...I'm going straight to TESU! I'll apply Tuesday (after I'm done with my TEEX courses) cheersmate

dfrecore Wrote:With the cost comparison you did, it's just really hard for me to figure out where the numbers all came from. So I can't comment.

The only thing I really would comment on is that I wouldn't do EC unless it was quite a bit cheaper. It's just not worth thousands of dollars to get it from one of the Big 3 over another. And, I wouldn't get an AA if it wasn't practically free. That's money that could be spent on courses instead. But that's me, and I am cheap!

I thought about this friend (it would be cool to walk accross the stage twice!) How would I be able to get the ASBA FREE on the way to the BSBA? There's no seperate fee or cornerstone just for the ASBA?

bjcheung77 Wrote:Since it's an ASBA, you can get the degree FREE... On your way to a BSBA. Wink

I really wish I was this involved with the forum when I first started. I would have by passed my Associates Degree and just went straight for the Bachelor's. But I am kind of locked in at this point and it will make more sense to earn an Associates and then a Bachelor's. Most definitely seeing how by the time I complete my AAS I will probable only be about a semester or two shy of my bachelor's.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Toastmaster Wrote:I thought about this friend (it would be cool to walk accross the stage twice!) How would I be able to get the ASBA FREE on the way to the BSBA? There's no seperate fee or cornerstone just for the ASBA?

If you don't have residency, then you will have to pay the Residency Waiver of $2,000. Then, when you get your BA, you won't have additional fees.

Also, the Graduation Fee of $323 would have to be paid twice. If you're graduating with both degrees at the same time, then you only pay one fee, but if you want to do two separate graduations, then you have to pay the fee twice.

One thing to note: it's unclear if the Residency Waiver lasts longer than a year (there have been mixed messages from TESU), so you would want to get something in writing from them if you were going to take longer than a year to get your BA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cost for an Associates Mitchmcc 3 1,336 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What will be the cost to graduate? sarahrahul 2 1,177 05-17-2018, 12:50 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  No cost to apply to Excelsior (EC) if... allvia 3 1,798 01-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU BA Computer Science Ultimate Low Cost Help armstrongsubero 33 8,048 10-20-2017, 03:01 AM
Last Post: davewill
  COSC AS Cost and Help! armstrongsubero 2 1,643 07-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Benefits/Cost of registration early? inkleind 2 772 04-09-2017, 12:34 AM
Last Post: inkleind
  TESU online classes with an odd number of credits jsd 1 1,168 03-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  BA Liberal arts cost Excelsior vs TESU? jb111 11 2,997 03-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Flying-Ace
  What does Excelsior really cost? clep3705 3 919 12-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  A Comparison: EC vs. TESC vs. COSC Daithi 24 2,699 07-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning