Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the big three a "Four year college?"
There's a few open jobs on Linkedin that have sparked my interest, however they specifically state in one of the requirements:

"Bachelors degree from a four year college or university"

If it only took me a year and a half to complete my BA through TESC via testing out, does this not count as a "four year college?"
yes
BA or BS = 4 years

AS or AA = 2 years
chattenoire Wrote:There's a few open jobs on Linkedin that have sparked my interest, however they specifically state in one of the requirements:

"Bachelors degree from a four year college or university"

If it only took me a year and a half to complete my BA through TESC via testing out, does this not count as a "four year college?"

bluebooger answered your question. But, I would like to expand upon it. Think about the mechanics of what you are asking. First, most students, for whatever reasons, do not finish their BA/BS in four years. Second, it doesn't say that a candidate must have earned a degree in four years, but that it must be from a four year college. In other words, an institution that awards "four year degrees". I hope that I am not appearing too coarse, but you will need to be sharp and have some sort of attention to detail when going through the hiring process!
I agree with the previous responses. A four-year college refers to the types of degrees they confer - a bachelor's degree versus an Associate's.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
Four year college, refers to the requirement of taking 30 credits per year for four years (120 credits) in order to obtain a Bachelor.
But all four year colleges provide you with the possibility of using CLEP, DSSTS, PLA, Challenge exams and other type of evaluations
in order to advance (with certain restrictions within their Catalogs).
TESC, CHARTER OAK, Excelsior require you to take 120 credits but they are more flexible on how do you get them.
They comply with the same requirements.

I believe that this type of wording was created in purpose in order to confuse people that use the tests instead of the courses.
So they won't accept degrees that where conferred by Universities offering Graduate programs?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
The people who write these job requirements often don't know what they're doing. Who earns a bachelor's degree from a 2-year school? Even community colleges that offer bachelor's degrees have turned into 4-year schools. Unless the school only offers degree completion programs, which is exceptionally rare, then every school that offers a bachelor's degree offers the equivalent of four years of coursework.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:The people who write these job requirements often don't know what they're doing. ...

reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1TsOHyJPpw
bluebooger Wrote:reminds me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1TsOHyJPpw

Sounds accurate to me. Big Grin

It's like when employers ask for degrees from a nationally accredited school. I'm sure they aren't turning down Harvard graduates for Penn Foster graduates.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:The people who write these job requirements often don't know what they're doing. Who earns a bachelor's degree from a 2-year school? Even community colleges that offer bachelor's degrees have turned into 4-year schools. Unless the school only offers degree completion programs, which is exceptionally rare, then every school that offers a bachelor's degree offers the equivalent of four years of coursework.
I definitely agree with you. But, I would like to point out that I am seeing a trend in the community college arena, in which they are beginning to offer BA/BS degrees in a limited and narrow fashion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,845 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,924 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,218 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
  TESU First Year Foundations & More Questions Lewis.Yim 8 2,941 06-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,390 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  A question about shmoop and Excelsior College literalkev 8 3,067 06-18-2018, 01:20 PM
Last Post: literalkev
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,654 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
  Thomas Edison State College Upper level Accounting Credit - HELP! DeterminedStudent 28 5,908 04-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Has Charter Oak ever upgraded a community college credit frank.f.franky 1 1,066 03-29-2018, 02:16 PM
Last Post: GoldieLux
  College Factual’s Nationwide Ranking of the Best Colleges For Returning Adults Life Long Learning 6 3,799 03-28-2018, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill