Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any degrees that can be mostly tested out of?
Long story short, I need to get a bachelors degree but I have a very sporadic schedule so if possible I'd like to transfer most of my credits in. I'm currently pursuing a BA in Psych from TESU. I know that you can transfer most of the credits in for that degree but I'm wondering if there are any more options that have the same transfer flexibility. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Working on: TESU BA Psychology & Criminal Justice

Completed:
Straighterline: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Communications, Intro to Religion, Western Civilization I, Organizational 
 Behavior, Cultural Anthropology, Business Ethics,
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Art History I, Introduction to Sociology, Project Management, Intro to Statistics
TEEX: Death Investigation
Coopersmith: Abnormal Psychology
Study.com: The Juvenile Justice System
(05-22-2020, 12:18 AM)ab10365 Wrote: Long story short, I need to get a bachelors degree but I have a very sporadic schedule so if possible I'd like to transfer most of my credits in. I'm currently pursuing a BA in Psych from TESU. I know that you can transfer most of the credits in for that degree but I'm wondering if there are any more options that have the same transfer flexibility. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

You can transfer in up to 114 credits towards any of the degrees at TESU, but the most alt-credit friendly ones are probably the BALS and BSBA degrees. At least those are incredibly popular here on this forum since there are so many options for completing them. There are plenty of other degrees that can be completed this way as well, including a BA in Psychology I believe. Another popular transfer-friendly degree choice is the BACS, though TESU has made that one a bit harder by limiting some of the CS-related courses they will accept from Study.com.

You just need to be open to taking courses from alternate credit providers like InstatCert Credit, Study.com, StraighterLine, Sophia, and Saylor. Plus CLEP and DSST exams of course. Most alt-credit courses and exams are competency-friendly and can be completed/taken on your own schedule.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ab10365
The one that could be done the quickest would be a BALS because it doesn't really matter which courses you take for that one - with a few exceptions. Others will require more study but will generally also be worth more in the long run (depending on exactly what you need a bachelor's for).
(05-22-2020, 02:44 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 12:18 AM)ab10365 Wrote: Long story short, I need to get a bachelors degree but I have a very sporadic schedule so if possible I'd like to transfer most of my credits in. I'm currently pursuing a BA in Psych from TESU. I know that you can transfer most of the credits in for that degree but I'm wondering if there are any more options that have the same transfer flexibility. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

You can transfer in up to 114 credits towards any of the degrees at TESU, but the most alt-credit friendly ones are probably the BALS and BSBA degrees. At least those are incredibly popular here on this forum since there are so many options for completing them. There are plenty of other degrees that can be completed this way as well, including a BA in Psychology I believe. Another popular transfer-friendly degree choice is the BACS, though TESU has made that one a bit harder by limiting some of the CS-related courses they will accept from Study.com.

You just need to be open to taking courses from alternate credit providers like InstatCert Credit, Study.com, StraighterLine, Sophia, and Saylor. Plus CLEP and DSST exams of course. Most alt-credit courses and exams are competency-friendly and can be completed/taken on your own schedule.

Thank you for your response! I'm interested in the BSBA (Human Resources Management or maybe Finance) from TESU. I'm pretty much open to anything though. I'm currently taking courses on SL for gen. ed. requirements. Do you know where I might be able to find a BSBA degree plan? (I prefer to earn alt. credits through SL or CLEP but again I'm open to anything). Thank you for your help!

Completed:
Straighterline: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Communications, Intro to Religion, Western Civilization I, Organizational 
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Art History I, Introduction to Sociology, Project Management, Intro to Statistics
Sophia is going to be so much cheaper for general ed right now. Sophia is free. SL is not. Sophia also has a few courses, like finances, accounting, and stats, that will potentially count towards your AOS if you go with a BSBA.
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ab10365, ctcarl
the problem is finding upper level credits that can be tested out of TESU will accept
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • ab10365
(05-22-2020, 07:13 AM)ab10365 Wrote: Do you know where I might be able to find a BSBA degree plan? (I prefer to earn alt. credits through SL or CLEP but again I'm open to anything).

I built my own plan based on looking at the degree requirements on the TESU website and matching them against courses that meet the transfer requirements. It takes some work but its best to build your own so you understand how/where to make tweaks as your interests change (or the school acceptance criteria change).

That said, there are people on the forum who keep up with the latest changes and offer help people build degree plans. Dfrecore for example. If you ask nicely, she or one of the others, may be able to help get you started.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ab10365
Have you looked at Excelsior College? They will transfer in 113 credits and you're required to take 3 courses with them. They also have tests you can take for credit - UExcel exams. They accept many course from Study.com including upper levels. 

https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • ab10365
(05-22-2020, 04:17 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you looked at Excelsior College? They will transfer in 113 credits and you're required to take 3 courses with them. They also have tests you can take for credit - UExcel exams. They accept many course from Study.com including upper levels. 

I've heard of Excelsior but never really looked into them. Is it easier to transfer in upper level credits there than at TESU?

(05-22-2020, 12:51 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 07:13 AM)ab10365 Wrote: Do you know where I might be able to find a BSBA degree plan? (I prefer to earn alt. credits through SL or CLEP but again I'm open to anything).

I built my own plan based on looking at the degree requirements on the TESU website and matching them against courses that meet the transfer requirements. It takes some work but its best to build your own so you understand how/where to make tweaks as your interests change (or the school acceptance criteria change).

That said, there are people on the forum who keep up with the latest changes and offer help people build degree plans. Dfrecore for example. If you ask nicely, she or one of the others, may be able to help get you started.

Thank you for your help! I've made a rough degree plan, I just have a bunch of "store credit" at Straighterline and I'm wondering what classes would make the best use of it.

(05-22-2020, 09:14 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Sophia is going to be so much cheaper for general ed right now. Sophia is free. SL is not. Sophia also has a few courses, like finances, accounting, and stats, that will potentially count towards your AOS if you go with a BSBA.

Thank you! Everyone on here has been so helpful. I enrolled in a few Sophia courses I really enjoy their platform.

Completed:
(06-18-2020, 06:29 AM)ab10365 Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 04:17 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you looked at Excelsior College? They will transfer in 113 credits and you're required to take 3 courses with them. They also have tests you can take for credit - UExcel exams. They accept many course from Study.com including upper levels. 

I've heard of Excelsior but never really looked into them. Is it easier to transfer in upper level credits there than at TESU?

In general, Excelsior accepts fewer credits than TESU does. If you're trying to test out of a degree, that aspect might be a hindrance to your goals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Affordable Online Masters degrees related to biology NotJoeBiden 6 455 01-24-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Advice Needed - Competency-based graduate degrees that allow acceleration priceaction 14 727 01-02-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking into language teaching related degrees aperantosbias 38 1,962 09-03-2023, 10:27 AM
Last Post: aperantosbias
  Online Proctored Degrees AS2004 6 654 05-15-2023, 04:14 AM
  Any Degrees or Certs to look at? Insert Name 9 825 11-14-2022, 04:41 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Hypothetically, from TESU, can you get two dual major degrees? CanICode 16 1,677 10-30-2022, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Milana Lewis
  Online degrees that are learning disability friendly? joy_d 7 744 09-14-2022, 02:19 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Are TESU degrees accepted for masters programs? Amberlinjeanne 11 1,459 02-03-2022, 12:55 PM
Last Post: jsd
Bug Science Degree & 2 Degrees chattenoire 6 966 10-22-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Why not 3 more Degrees??? Help me splirow 30 2,509 03-29-2021, 11:28 AM