Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arguing national over regional
Since there isn't a significant cost value with NA degrees (sometimes cost is even more), + the limitations, it's hard to justify an NA over the countless RA degrees available. Where an NA is a reasonable option, seems to work well when the degree is for personal satisfaction or your employee would accept an NA for career advancement.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
I have a related question. Would a school hiring an adjunct care if I went to Capella versus some other place with a better reputation? I am still considering the Capella M.Ed as my "any Masters".

(02-28-2018, 12:00 AM)Ideas Wrote: I have a related question. Would a school hiring an adjunct care if I went to Capella versus some other place with a better reputation? I am still considering the Capella M.Ed as my "any Masters".

your master's should have prefixes for what you want to teach. A master's in education only qualifies you to adjunct EDU courses, and at the community college level, those are few and far between. Spend a few minutes checking your local CCs catalog and see how many EDU sections are offered this semester for a snapshot.

Setting an alert at HigherEdJobs for adjunct distance learning jobs will give you a good idea about what is needed.
(02-28-2018, 12:00 AM)Ideas Wrote: I have a related question. Would a school hiring an adjunct care if I went to Capella versus some other place with a better reputation? I am still considering the Capella M.Ed as my "any Masters".

Your question answers itself. By definition, yes. To what extent would depend on the "better reputation" of the other school.
(02-28-2018, 10:03 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

your master's should have prefixes for what you want to teach.  A master's in education only qualifies you to adjunct EDU courses, and at the community college level, those are few and far between.  Spend a few minutes checking your local CCs catalog and see how many EDU sections are offered this semester for a snapshot.

Oh, I know, I even said that above.  I was saying the Masters in Education would be my "RA Masters in unrelated subject". Then I'd add 18 RA credits in the field I want to teach.

My question is if they would dislike my unrelated Masters being from Capella. Compared to if I had an unrelated Masters from WGU, Fort Hays State, Liberty U, Patten, etc. (Would Patten be looked down upon too, somewhat?)

And/or if my 18 AOS credits were from Capella or other for-profit. Do they care much?

(02-28-2018, 09:19 PM)Sagan Wrote:

Your question answers itself. By definition, yes. To what extent would depend on the "better reputation" of the other school.

Hm. I guess what I mean is do community colleges care more than other employers. I guess you're right - even if not, it's bad enough how other employers view Capella. 

I am only considering online schools, so of course I'm not asking about something like Harvard vs. Capella, but I do think maybe I should attend Liberty U instead of Capella. I just noticed this on Liberty's site which sounds good:

Quote:a non-profit university whose online programs are ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  National University - Teaching Credential ashkir 5 601 12-31-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MS at National University sofinel 3 944 12-22-2021, 03:10 AM
Last Post: sofinel
  National University of Health Sciences bjcheung77 0 678 04-28-2021, 06:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Possible Graduate Degrees? National Accredited OK Thorne 13 4,020 01-12-2020, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  National Law School Tuition Search SweetSecret 0 844 01-06-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  National University acquires Northcentral University bjcheung77 5 2,139 02-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  National University of Ireland - MSc Software Engineering for non majors nyvrem 0 888 10-18-2018, 01:53 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  National Humanities Center: Online Courses eriehiker 0 955 10-06-2018, 08:03 AM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Any Experience at WTAMU, LSUS or National University? Decius73 29 5,150 05-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Decius73