Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Army Aviation Warrant Officer transfer credits?
Hi, all -

New to the forum... I'm a veteran, formerly a CH-47D helicopter pilot. I served from 1989 to 1994 and left the Army as a CW2 and NVG PIC with about 750 total rotary wing flight hours (about 160 as Pilot In Command).

After basic, I went directly into WOC school and then IERW flight training. I tracked OH-58 Aeroscout (MOS 152B). After graduation and appointment to WO1, I went through CH-47D qualification flight training (MOS 154C) and was assigned to the Chinook company at Ft. Wainwright, Alaska where I remained until seperation.

I also have an FAA Commercial Pilot license with Helicopter and Instrument Helicopter ratings.

Plus, I have about 60-70 credit hours of mostly lower level general studies/liberal arts courses completed at brick and mortar community colleges and universities. I completed an Associate of Arts at the University of Alaska while I was on active duty.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with how my aviation warrant officer training and pilot's license will transfer into TESC and/or Excelsior? How many upper level credits might be awarded, etc?

I've got all my transcripts and other documents on the way to TESC for them to evaluate for their BSAST in Aviation Flight Technology. It looks like I might have everything required for that completed except for Physics (6 credits) and the AST capstone.

The other option would be their BA in Liberal Studies (or LDAS).

I'm also interested in how Excelsior BS would look as an option.

Thanks!
Sir,

I Know that different schools have different policies about how many credits they will accept. Most of the "military friendly" schools are pretty good about taking as many as they can. You should look also into AMU and Kaplan as well.
Do you have a copy of your AARTS? You may already know this, that is a transcript of your Army education and the ACE recommendations for those courses.

I separated from the Navy in 1990; however, I didn't discover that I have a military transcript until 2002. To my surprise I had 38 credits and I used them toward an AA degree. I have no idea how your AARTS credits will distribute toward the degree you seek. At the very least they should fill many elective credits.

Here is a link for AARTS:
Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) Home Page

Gaz
CLEP: Principles of Management (70), Info Systems and Computer Applications (61), Principles of Marketing (66), American Government (52), Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (56), Introductory Sociology (69), Introductory Psychology (69), Introduction to Educational Psychology (68), Human Growth and Development (68) DSST: Drug and Alcohol Abuse (60), Here's to Your Health (455), Introduction to World Religions (469), Management Information Systems (415), Ethics in America (443), Criminal Justice (434) ECE: Abnormal Psychology (B), Organizational Behavior (B) STRAIGHTERLINE: Business Statistics, Medical Terminology

BS Nursing, WGU - In progress
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior - Need Capstone, on hold.
AS Nursing, St. Petersburg College - Dec. 2014
AA, Coastline Community College - Aug. 2009
Do you have a copy of your AARTS? You may already know this, that is a transcript of your Army education and the ACE recommendations for those courses.

I separated from the Navy in 1990; however, I didn't discover that I have a military transcript until 2002. To my surprise I had 38 credits and I used them toward an AA degree. I have no idea how your AARTS credits will distribute toward the degree you seek. At the very least they should fill many elective credits.

Here is a link for AARTS:
Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) Home Page

Gaz
CLEP: Principles of Management (70), Info Systems and Computer Applications (61), Principles of Marketing (66), American Government (52), Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (56), Introductory Sociology (69), Introductory Psychology (69), Introduction to Educational Psychology (68), Human Growth and Development (68) DSST: Drug and Alcohol Abuse (60), Here's to Your Health (455), Introduction to World Religions (469), Management Information Systems (415), Ethics in America (443), Criminal Justice (434) ECE: Abnormal Psychology (B), Organizational Behavior (B) STRAIGHTERLINE: Business Statistics, Medical Terminology

BS Nursing, WGU - In progress
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior - Need Capstone, on hold.
AS Nursing, St. Petersburg College - Dec. 2014
AA, Coastline Community College - Aug. 2009
I've ordered an official AARTS transcript sent to TESC, yes.

On my unofficial AARTS printout, it has the following ACE credit recommendations:

750-BT Basic Combat Training (AR-2201-0399)
1 sem hrs Personal Physical Conditioning
1 sem hrs Outdoor Skills Practicum
1 sem hrs Marksmanship
1 sem hrs First Aid

911-09W Warrant Officer Candidate (AR-2201-0285)
6 sem hrs Leadership and Supervision

2C-OH-58/UH-1/AH-1/UH-60 IERW Common Core (AR-1606-0181)
3 sem hrs Flight Regulations
3 sem hrs Aircraft Navigation (Visual)
3 sem hrs Aviation Meteorology
3 sem hrs Aircraft Engines and Systems
3 sem hrs Flight Physiology
3 sem hrs Aircraft Performance
6 sem hrs Private Pilot Flight Training (Helicopter)

2C-SIC2/2C-154C CH-47D Aviator Qualification (AR-1606-0178)
3 sem hrs Aircraft Systems
3 sem hrs Helicopter Flight Training
Please let me know what you decide Chief. I'm awaiting my report date down to Rucker as we speak for the CH-47 course so I'll be interested to see what kind of results you get. Have you looked into Embry-Riddle? You can get a 100% online degree in professional aeronautics and they are very well respected in the aviation world. I have heard they will transfer up to about 40 hrs. Maybe you can shed some light on this for me if that's the route you decide to go as that is what I plan on doing myself. Good luck.
I've sent all my transcripts and other documents to TESC and also to Excelsior. I just have to patiently await their evaluations at this point.

It appears based on my background that finishing a Bachelors degree in Liberal Studies at one of those two schools will probably be the way to go. I am no longer flying for a living, so an Aviation specific degree is not necessary in my case. If anything, getting a business oriented masters degree (after finishing the Liberal Studies degree) would make more sense for what I am doing now.

Once I get my evals back, I'll definitely post them and map out a degree completion plan. I'm hoping to finish through CLEP, DSST, ECE, TECEP testing alone (if possible).
You may also consider a BSBA degree from TESC. You can completely or nearly-completely test out of it. Not sure how an MBA program would accept a non-business-oriented undergrad?
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I was thinking more along the lines of an MS in Marketing or Organizational Leadership rather than an MBA. Still, you make a good point. Perhaps I can finish the BALS first, then go after a BSBA at TESC using some of the same tests/courses to fulfill some of the requirements for both.

I am much closer to a BALS right now. For personal reasons, I want to finish a bachelors degree (even a basic Liberal Studies degree) in the shortest time possible.
Some of my eval at TESC appears to have been completed...

Here's what transferred from my AARTS transcript:

750-BT Basic Combat Training (AR-2201-0399)
1 sem hrs PEA-199 Spec. Studies in Selected Topics
1 sem hrs MSC-161 Outdoor/Survival Skills
1 sem hrs MSC-131 Marksmanship
1 sem hrs HEA-195 First Aid

911-09W Warrant Officer Candidate (AR-2201-0285)
3 sem hrs MAN-201 Principles of Supervision
3 sem hrs HRM-315 Leadership

2C-OH-58/UH-1/AH-1/UH-60 IERW Common Core (AR-1606-0181)
2C-SIC2/2C-154C CH-47D Aviator Qualification (AR-1606-0178)
3 sem hrs AVF-201 Government & Aviation
3 sem hrs AVF-312 Navigation
3 sem hrs AVF-203 Aviation Weather
3 sem hrs AVM-205 Aircraft Systems
3 sem hrs AVM-321 Powerplants, Gas Turbine
3 sem hrs AVF-301 Flight Physiology
3 sem hrs AVF-382 Aircraft Performance
3 sem hrs AVF-111 Private Pilot Ground
3 sem hrs AVF-122 Private Pilot Rotorcraft Flight
3 sem hrs AVF-122 Private Pilot Rotorcraft Flight (duplicate, not used)

They noted that my flight training courses are over 10 years old, but they approved the transfer credits anyway.

They haven't evaluated my FAA license yet, but I expect to get another 18 credits for my Commercial Pilot and Instrument Pilot ratings.

Assuming I receive the FAA license credits, that fulfills all the Area of Study requirements for their BSAST in Aviation Flight Technology (except for the APS-401 capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Officer Packet HonuDiver 7 1,344 08-31-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,462 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Army Tuition Aid Stalled Alpha 0 1,199 06-13-2021, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Straighterline 15 credits rayantanas 2 1,870 09-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,433 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!! eliment 19 5,366 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Another CCAF thread about alternative credits Tracker 9 4,863 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  Army MLT - ASAST or BSAST at TESU? MLTtoMLS 11 4,530 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  opinion on officer route? Zachcleigh 10 2,866 12-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  Army chaplain creditmonsoon 1 1,633 06-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77