Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arnold Fletcher
Ok, so I see a lot of people who graduated from TESC has posted that they are recipients of the Arnold Fletcher Award. So I look up today online to see what it is about and it is awarded to people who have over 90 non-traditional credits.

When I graduated last year, I didn't receive the award even though I have well over 100 non-traditional credits. So I'm thinking I got shafted from the award.

I'm wondering if it is because a good chunk of my credits are technical credits from the Air Force, which in my book are "non-traditional", but the Air Force is a full community college?

Any other Air Force people get the Arnold Fletcher with the CCAF?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I think they only count non-traditional credits from testing and online courses. I also missed out on the award when I graduated I only had 73 non-traditional credits, later I completed about 20 more for my AAS but you only can get the Fletcher award when going for your Bachelors. It is not really an academic award it just shows you didn't use many B&M credits.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
I don't think online credits count towards the 90 non-trad credits required for the Arnold Fletcher Award. I think non-traditional for this purpose means stuff like exams, workplace training, PLA and licenses. Since CCAF is an actual accredited college, those credits are probably considered "regular" credit.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Yanji Wrote:I don't think online credits count towards the 90 non-trad credits required for the Arnold Fletcher Award. I think non-traditional for this purpose means stuff like exams, workplace training, PLA and licenses. Since CCAF is an actual accredited college, those credits are probably considered "regular" credit.

I'm thinking this is the case. The Army uses ACE to accredit their training. I'm willing to bet that TESC considers the Army credit non-traditional. I think because the AF went on their own and does not use the JST and actually opened up a regionally accredited school, that TESC is considering my Techincal Training (BMT, OJT, etc) as traditional academic courses.

Oh well, would have been nice to receive.

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Personally, I think I'd be happier with having more RA credits than a minor award from TESC. :p
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

I received the Arnold Fletcher Award for both Bachelor's degrees. You can see from my degree plans they include more than just testing credit in the 90 non-traditional credits. I used about 40% testing credits in each degree.
Bricabrac's BSBA in General Management - Degree Forum Wiki
Bricabrac's BA in Social Science - Degree Forum Wiki

Credit distribution:
[TABLE="width: 500, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD]BA
CBE 39
ACE 18
FEMA 9
INST TESC(24)/TECEP(3) - 27
RA MCC(12)/CBE(9)/FHSU(6) - 27
[/TD]
[TD]BSBA
CBE 36
ACE 24
INST TESC(27)/TECEP(6) - 33
RA MCC(15)/FHSU(12) - 27

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Edit to add - non traditional seems to mean all non classroom credit. See description taken from TESC's website:

Arnold Fletcher Award
The Arnold Fletcher Award recognizes Thomas Edison State College bachelor’s degree graduates for achieving excellence in nontraditional learning. Award recipients are selected from each graduating class. The following areas are examples of appropriate nontraditional learning modes:
-Credit for Courses Taught
-Thomas Edison State College Courses (online, Guided Study and e-PackÂ)
-Licenses/Certificates/Registries
-Military Training Programs Evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE)
-ACE
-Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
-Testing Programs
Students selected for the award are required to have earned a minimum total of 90 credits from nontraditional learning.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I received this award. My credits break down like this:

-Credit for Courses Taught 29
-Thomas Edison State College Courses (online, Guided Study and e-PackÂ) 33
-Licenses/Certificates/Registries 0
-Military Training Programs Evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) 0
-ACE 0
-Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) 0
-Testing Programs 57
Students selected for the award are required to have earned a minimum total of 90 credits from nontraditional learning.[/QUOTE]

Non-Arnold Fletcher eligible: 5
It sounds like from the last two posts, that I should have qualified for the award? Being that it is over a year ago, does anyone feel the school would acknowledge it and award it?

PrLoko-isms

Prloko Wrote:It sounds like from the last two posts, that I should have qualified for the award? Being that it is over a year ago, does anyone feel the school would acknowledge it and award it?

I can't imagine them making a mistake like this. You should definitely contact them to inquire.

This may make me sound like an idiot but did you take a look at your transcript? Maybe the actual award got misplaced in the mail or something. It's mentioned just under the degree.

transcript

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:I can't imagine them making a mistake like this. You should definitely contact them to inquire.

This may make me sound like an idiot but did you take a look at your transcript? Maybe the actual award got misplaced in the mail or something. It's mentioned just under the degree.

transcript

Thanks, I just checked and it didn't say an award was conferred. They also gave me a jacked up diploma where one of the signatures was double imposed. I was so excited and so busy at the time, I didn't bother asking them to fix it. I may now just order a second one.

PrLoko-isms

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arnold Fletcher Award Inteljustice2 7 2,296 08-16-2016, 10:22 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Have the Arnold Fletcher Award requirements changed? Laura.C 5 1,687 07-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Arnold Fletcher Award 2016 RANSOMSOUL 10 1,645 07-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU Arnold Fletcher Award Peter123456789 12 2,269 02-15-2016, 04:55 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Arnold Fletcher award blu2blu 14 1,775 07-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Last Post: BetC
  Arnold Fletcher Award? Farmerboy 2 1,057 04-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jadechow