Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article about DegreeForum journey
(02-18-2023, 01:56 PM)davewill Wrote: I have to say I'm not wild about saying we're "hacking" degrees. Makes it sound like we're cheating and not actually earning them.

I thought hacking meant coming up with a better/faster way to do things.  I mean, there are bad hackers, but there are also ethical or red hat hackers.

The term hacker has historically been a divisive one, sometimes being used as a term of admiration for individuals who exhibit a high degree of skill and creativity in their approach to technical problems. However, the term is also commonly applied to individuals who use this skill for illegal or unethical purposes.

Hacker was first used in the 1960s to describe a programmer or an individual who, in an era of highly constrained computer capabilities, could increase the efficiency of computer code in a way that removed, or hacked, excess machine code instructions from a program. It has evolved over the years to refer to someone with an advanced understanding of computers, networking, programming or hardware.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
While the term "hacking" is often associated with negative activities like computer or network breaches, there are also many positive ways in which the term can be used. Here are a few examples:

1. Life hacking (outside of technology): While life hacking is often associated with technology, it can also refer to finding creative or unconventional ways to solve everyday problems, such as finding alternative uses for common household items.

2. Farm hacking: This refers to the use of innovative, low-cost technologies and techniques to improve agricultural practices and increase sustainability. For example, farmers might use drip irrigation systems, solar-powered fences, or open-source tools for data analysis to improve their yields.

3. Science hacking: This term refers to the use of creative or unconventional methods to conduct scientific research. Science hackers might use DIY instruments, open-source software, or crowdsourced data to conduct experiments or analyze data in new ways.

4. Urban hacking: This refers to the use of art, design, and other creative interventions to improve urban spaces and make them more livable. Urban hackers might create pop-up parks or gardens in vacant lots, install public art installations, or use data visualization to highlight social or environmental issues.

5. Social hacking: This term refers to the use of psychological or social engineering techniques to promote positive social change. Social hackers might use humor, empathy, or other persuasive strategies to encourage people to change their behavior, for example, by adopting more sustainable habits or becoming more politically engaged.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Life_One

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Graduation Rate for DegreeForum Members? LevelUP 9 1,083 06-14-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Some major "I'm done" kudos to degreeforum peeps studyingfortests 7 1,250 01-01-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Any "Start From Scratch" members willing to share their journey? Idreamofadegree 23 4,817 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
Information The DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, and more! jsd 0 90,460 02-06-2019, 08:10 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Journey Thread -- BS Cybersecurity quigongene 106 25,109 01-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Another article about transfer problems davewill 11 2,017 11-26-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  My Journey from Dead End Job to Success passit1 251 25,731 08-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  My WGU BS in Accounting Journey! airricklee 10 6,637 04-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Last Post: airricklee
  Thank you, Shotojuku, for TEN years leading DegreeForum! sgloer 16 2,437 12-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  What is the best advice you would give to someone starting this captivating journey? Kev 5 1,883 10-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Last Post: KayV