Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad
I asked ChatGPT-4. It said HES graduates should proactively identify themselves as HES grads because it has different admission standards than the other Harvard colleges. I asked about Northwestern SPS, and it said like HES, SPS grads should preemptively identify themselves as SPS grads. Then I asked about OMSCS Georgia Tech. It said OMSCS grads don't need to identify themselves as grad from the online program because GT states that the admission criteria for on-campus students are identical to online students. However it said if you're asked if you did it online, then you should be truthful. GPT-4 is so smart.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ifomonay's post:
  • jsd
I find it profoundly strange anyway. Maybe it's that I only ever went to podunk schools, but I would never set my resume up like:

Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Security
Western Governors University
College of IT

Unless I had specifically been told to do otherwise, I would just list WGU and not the "College of IT" because it's irrelevant. If someone gave me $40k just to go to Harvard Extension and I got a degree there, my initial impulse would be to write it as:

Master of Liberal Arts
Harvard University

Not out of some desire to bamboozle, because I really couldn't care less. Just because I genuinely don't understand why it matters if I went to the Bob Saget School of Comedy or the George Carlin School of Irreverent Comedy if I got my degree from the same school. My grandfather had a fun saying when he got older, "I started at the bottom, then with a lot of hard work scraping the bottom, I ended up at the bottom." I don't lack culture, I lack the number of rat backsides required to care about this game of applied elitism.

Of course, I also don't know why they make it an "ALM in Extension Studies - Management", it sounds like a disturbed program with no thought. If someone gave me $40k to go to HES, I'd probably just do the graduate certificates, which are simply in some thing or another. The HES Graduate Certificate in Business Economics isn't called "Graduate Certificate in Extension Studies in Business Economics" but rather "Graduate Certificate in Business Economics"
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
"ALM in Extension Studies - Management" <- And with that degree, you are qualified to manage Harvard´s DCE and every other extension studies center around the world.
[-] The following 2 users Like MrPanda's post:
  • jsd, Thorne
For those who did go to HES, there really isn't a need to 'defend' that you've gone to Harvard. Just indicate the program link on your social media account or something that specifically references the degree or program and link to the program. People take too much energy, time trying to defend something where you should be confident about.

Essentially - You've graduated from the program of your choice, what others say doesn't really mean too much. If someone is trying to bully or phase you out, ask yourself, if it's really needed to answer them in a different manner, you learn for yourself and not for that person... Heck, people bash over 'freebie' certs and courses!

Oh Snap, I forgot, I had to see what Harvard DCE was...it's Division of Continuing Education (DCE)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I have a lot to say about this. But I have like 6 papers due first. Expect a lengthy reply.

Signed,

One of your favorite HES students
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential- 01/2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
[-] The following 1 user Likes collegecareerstudent's post:
  • Life_One
Nothing says that educational outcomes matter less to most people and society than the barriers to entry, cost, and brand of degrees than this whole argument.

Just saying
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
Let's focus on the unfair treatment of Harvard Extension School degrees.

Here are the 13 schools of Harvard University.
  • Harvard College
  • Harvard Business School
  • Harvard Dental School
  • Harvard Divinity School
  • Harvard Extension School
  • Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
  • Harvard Graduate School of Design
  • Harvard Graduate School of Education
  • Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
  • Harvard Kennedy School
  • Harvard Law School
  • Harvard Medical School
  • Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Graduates from the other 12 schools can list their degrees as being from 'Harvard University' without any problems.
However, graduates of the Harvard Extension School must list their degree as from the "Harvard Extension School," which seems like unnecessary discrimination.
[-] The following 1 user Likes durain's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
(03-18-2023, 05:06 AM)durain Wrote: Let's focus on the unfair treatment of Harvard Extension School degrees.

• Harvard College
  • Harvard Dental School
  • Harvard Kennedy School
  • Harvard Law School
  • Harvard Medical School

Graduates from the other 12 schools can list their degrees as being from 'Harvard University' without any problems.
However, graduates of the Harvard Extension School must list their degree as from the "Harvard Extension School," which seems like unnecessary discrimination.

As sanantone has pointed out, it's Harvard itself that discriminates against Extension students by forcing them to write their resumes like that.  If the University that grants you the degree is discriminating against you, how can you blame the public for thinking there is something "different" about the Extension school vs the other Harvard schools?  Pretty sure this is all a nothingburger if Harvard stops with all the weird degree naming and strange resume formats it forces upon Extension students.

I mean, if you read the article, Rufo can't even say "I have a Master's degree from Harvard University" (which is the truth) without getting bashed by the public. If I ever get a degree from Harvard Extension, I would at least want to say to employers I am a Harvard grad without feeling I am lying through my teeth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smartdegree's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
(03-17-2023, 03:37 PM)ifomonay Wrote: I asked ChatGPT-4. It said HES graduates should proactively identify themselves as HES grads because it has different admission standards than the other Harvard colleges. I asked about Northwestern SPS, and it said like HES, SPS grads should preemptively identify themselves as SPS grads. Then I asked about OMSCS Georgia Tech. It said OMSCS grads don't need to identify themselves as grad from the online program because GT states that the admission criteria for on-campus students are identical to online students. However it said if you're asked if you did it online, then you should be truthful. GPT-4 is so smart.

There is a guess that this was written with a smirk, as ChatGPT is in such an infancy stage of providing quality analytical data; however, it can offer a respectable theory. Interestingly, the world understands online or extension schools even less than ChatGPT. Ultimately, it's all irrelevant since most don't know the difference and will fall closer to not knowing enough to care.

(03-18-2023, 07:01 AM)smartdegree Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 05:06 AM)durain Wrote: Let's focus on the unfair treatment of Harvard Extension School degrees.

• Harvard College
  • Harvard Dental School
  • Harvard Kennedy School
  • Harvard Law School
  • Harvard Medical School

As sanantone has pointed out, it's Harvard itself that discriminates against Extension students by forcing them to write their resumes like that.  If the University that grants you the degree is discriminating against you, how can you blame the public for thinking there is something "different" about the Extension school vs the other Harvard schools?  Pretty sure this is all a nothingburger if Harvard stops with all the weird degree naming and strange resume formats it forces upon Extension students.  

I mean, if you read the article, Rufo can't even say "I have a Master's degree from Harvard University" (which is the truth) without getting bashed by the public.  If I ever get a degree from Harvard Extension, I would at least want to say to employers I am a Harvard grad without feeling I am lying through my teeth.

Agree and feel that Harvard only makes these distinctions due to students finding a significant financial loophole to secure a degree from Harvard at a fraction of the cost. Even though last check, need-based grants at Harvard were above 60% of students in the bachelor level.

After Covid, online/extension vs. traditional campus students has become less debated. If you hold a hold line, the student that spent the last two years at home/apartment taking their classes (many still do), by these rigid guidelines, those students/degrees should not be of equal value. And, of course, that is not the angle Universities are taking with the students. The world shifted after covid and degrees, and the perception of online studies is vastly different than just a few years ago.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
[-] The following 1 user Likes KSoul's post:
  • warriortaupou
Harvard has a growing list of online degrees at their traditional schools, and those students aren't treated any differently. The barrier to going to the traditional schools at Harvard at the undergraduate level isn't financial. The barrier is the admissions process and very low acceptance rate. Of course, it's easier to get around that if you're an athlete, legacy, child of donor, or child of employee applicant.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,339 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,406 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,061 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 955 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Harvard University Kennedy School of Government Pathway collegecareerstudent 36 8,767 06-02-2023, 06:03 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  ChatGPT opinion of Harvard Extension smartdegree 7 2,639 05-09-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,107 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 553 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  IUBH - Another low cost European Grad option posabsolute 18 5,974 03-21-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JPN
Exclamation Reading through this board for cheap grad schools but don't see MITx or Coursera??? Randyb100 30 4,644 12-06-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP