Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As Colleges Move Classes Online, Families Rebel Against the Cost
More people complaining about schools going online without reducing tuition. Of course they see this as a reduced quality of education (which it doesn't have to be if done right) and they don't realize that at many schools, a lion's share of the tuition goes into financial aid programs to compensate for reduced government support. So they probably cannot reduce tuition by too much or risk losing student aid for those who need it.

Yes, the schools should definitely refund student housing and campus-related fees, but schools are likely to be paying more to transition to support online tools and services and to hire people with online experience to set up and manage everything, so tuition reductions are a heavy ask... especially for smaller schools without external support who operate on thin margins.

This mostly comes down to a stigma against online education and people seeing it as inferior. Which again, it doesn't have to be if the schools prepare properly. At least IMO.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/15/us/co...ition.html
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(08-15-2020, 05:17 PM)Merlin Wrote: More people complaining about schools going online without reducing tuition. Of course they see this as a reduced quality of education (which it doesn't have to be if done right) and they don't realize that at many schools, a lion's share of the tuition goes into financial aid programs to compensate for reduced government support. So they probably cannot reduce tuition by too much or risk losing student aid for those who need it.

Yes, the schools should definitely refund student housing and campus-related fees, but schools are likely to be paying more to transition to support online tools and services and to hire people with online experience to set up and manage everything, so tuition reductions are a heavy ask... especially for smaller schools without external support who operate on thin margins.

This mostly comes down to a stigma against online education and people seeing it as inferior. Which again, it doesn't have to be if the schools prepare properly. At least IMO.

There isn't much difference if you are sitting in a classroom or watching the teacher via zoom.  But kids feel like they should be given a discount.

It is a big mess for schools.  They have a lot of fixed costs and aren't set up for a fully online school.  Some have bloated pension plans and were already having problems before the crisis.  Without sports, that is a major source of revenue.  They are already losing tons of money and can't afford to discount tuitions. 

The smaller community colleges will get crushed if this goes on much longer.  People will just go to places like WGU or wherever is the cheapest.  The big state colleges should survive.

By the end of the year, lots of vaccines will likely be released.  The question will be if they work at all, work permanently, and are safe to use.

I still favor the idea of going HAM (Hard as a MF) on testing:
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...ay/615217/

Go to http://archive.vn/ to read nytimes or get around those annoying paywalls.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
MAny parents are paying for networking, especially higher ranked schools, as much as an education for their kids, they see that value gone.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cerich67's post:
  • ss20ts
(08-15-2020, 05:17 PM)Merlin Wrote: More people complaining about schools going online without reducing tuition. Of course they see this as a reduced quality of education (which it doesn't have to be if done right) and they don't realize that at many schools, a lion's share of the tuition goes into financial aid programs to compensate for reduced government support. So they probably cannot reduce tuition by too much or risk losing student aid for those who need it.

Your analysis is spot on.  However, I don't see online as equivalent to face-to-face in a traditional college setting, at least for traditional-age college students.     

I have long said that freshman learn more in their dorms and extracurricular activities than they do in their classes.  There is a richness of experience living on campus. For many it is the first time in their lives where they have to live and deal with people from different cultures, backgrounds, and educational experiences. For the first time in their lives many on-campus freshman have to make decisions without the readily available input and influence of parents. 

As a professor, I saw distinct differences in student engagement and the conduct of group projects with the emergency switch from face-to-face to online instruction in the eleventh week of a 15-week semester.  A student's bedroom or parent's basement has far more distractions relative to a classroom.  There were also significant issues with students living in remote rural locations with slow and unreliable internet access.  I also observed that many students took on jobs when they got home that conflicted with or reduced the time for coursework. In a pandemic, no less.

I believe that the online stigma isn't much different and is probably derived from the "part-time," "correspondence," and "night school" stigmas that has been around for decades.  It is only in the past six or seven years or so that traditional colleges have begun to accept online courses and degrees as equivalent to their face-to-face equivalents.  My transcripts (from a few decades ago) clearly indicate the courses were completed by correspondence even though they had the same course numbers and syllabi as the face-to-face class and were taught by regular (tenured) faculty members.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cannoda's post:
  • ss20ts
They should offer 80% tuition discount!
Southern Oregon University now charges $1000 more per term due to online.?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I just recently learned this and it's fascinating. I never realized this was part of why college is generally so expensive. Just how much does this tend to increase tuition costs? I'm assuming a good portion of tuition is going towards sports as well as facilities. Just how much could feasibly be cut to reduce costs?
Maybe it will bring the costs down to a more realistic level, as colleges are so overpriced in the US.

Campus life can be distracting and despite the multiculturalism which one can be exposed to anytime to if you live in a big city, colleges tend to really homogenize the ideological diversity.

It is a move in the right direction now that parents finally realize cost/worth ratio of a college education.

Maybe this covid situation was a sobering experience for colleges, parents and students alike.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lacedonia4's post:
  • StoicJ
(08-16-2020, 03:27 AM)Elitis Wrote:
I just recently learned this and it's fascinating. I never realized this was part of why college is generally so expensive. Just how much does this tend to increase tuition costs? I'm assuming a good portion of tuition is going towards sports as well as facilities. Just how much could feasibly be cut to reduce costs?

In addition, how many students wouldn't even need the financial assistance if tuition weren't so high in the first place? 

Sports does cost a lot but it also can bring in a ton of money for the school. Not only does sports mean ticket sales but also increased merchandise sales. There is a big push to buy hoodies, water bottles, backpacks, etc. to show support for the local sportsball team. I used to live near ASU. Their teams are relatively popular. A lot of the people who wear ASU merch locally are probably not students, staff, nor alumni. That's money that the school wouldn't be getting without its teams. I'd definitely be interested in seeing a breakdown of how much sports teams cost colleges vs. what they bring in. I guess we'll be running a huge experiment this year to find out the actual cost/benefit of sports to a college.
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Clepper43, Life Long Learning, ss20ts
(08-16-2020, 05:09 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 03:27 AM)Elitis Wrote:

In addition, how many students wouldn't even need the financial assistance if tuition weren't so high in the first place? 

Sports does cost a lot but it also can bring in a ton of money for the school. Not only does sports mean ticket sales but also increased merchandise sales. There is a big push to buy hoodies, water bottles, backpacks, etc. to show support for the local sportsball team. I used to live near ASU. Their teams are relatively popular. A lot of the people who wear ASU merch locally are probably not students, staff, nor alumni. That's money that the school wouldn't be getting without its teams. I'd definitely be interested in seeing a breakdown of how much sports teams cost colleges vs. what they bring in. I guess we'll be running a huge experiment this year to find out the actual cost/benefit of sports to a college.

In only the about top 30 football schools are Athletics Self-Supporting.  The rest lose money.
https://www.air.org/sites/default/files/...ending.pdf
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 117 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 272 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,149 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 212 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,460 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 601 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,616 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 352 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,092 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045