Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asking for a 3 credit waiver for Social Psychology at TESU?
TESU no longer lets you sub out half the Soc Psych credits, they changed it a while ago.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(12-08-2018, 09:52 PM)Supermind Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 09:45 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(04-03-2017, 10:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think almost every person on this forum who's gotten a Psych degree from TESU has had this issue, and all have been waived and made up for with another UL Psych course.

My degree isn't in psych, it's in social sciences and I wanted credit in social psychology (my favorite psych class), but I took the TESU Social Psychology course from TESU. It's worth 6 credits. I realize it's expensive, but I'm just throwing it out there that it is possible to get 6 credits in social psych.

True. And I think TESU is trying to push everyone in that direction. But my finances are a bit tight at the moment, and I am looking for the least expensive options. If TESU offered a TECEP for social psychology, I might consider.

Hold tight, I think I just saw something... oops sorry- it's UExcel. They have one for Social Psychology but only 3 which I think you already knew about.
(12-09-2018, 03:48 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(04-03-2017, 10:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think almost every person on this forum who's gotten a Psych degree from TESU has had this issue, and all have been waived and made up for with another UL Psych course.

My degree isn't in psych, it's in social sciences and I wanted credit in social psychology (my favorite psych class), but I took the TESU Social Psychology course from TESU. It's worth 6 credits. I realize it's expensive, but I'm just throwing it out there that it is possible to get 6 credits in social psych.

I am willing to take that. I know some forum members who were asked to take that to satisfy UL requirements. Now, I am being told that it won’t. This is very confusing. I sent an email on Friday seeking more clarification. Waiting to hear from them.

True. And I think TESU is trying to push everyone in that direction. But my finances are a bit tight at the moment, and I am looking for the least expensive options. If TESU offered a TECEP for social psychology, I might consider.

Hold tight, I think I just saw something... oops sorry- it's UExcel. They have one for Social Psychology but only 3 which I think you already knew about.

TESU OSS has this feature of creating a mock academic evaluation if I decided to change my degree now. I tried putting BALS. Looks like all my psychology AOS courses, including IO psych fit in very well there. I might be able to find more UL options on SDC itself, and the rest of the LL options could be found on Saylor etc. i would love to have a psychology degree, but if TESU is going to be very stringent in its rules, I need to change my path to save costs. I do not want to be forced to write expensive Uexcel exams or take TESU courses just for the sake of UL credits. I would like to know the views of the forum members.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
A BALS with a concentration in Psychology would be fine, you get an undergraduate certificate in Psychology as well. It all depends, many people think any degree would be a "check the box" degree at this point unless you know where/which Masters you're going for. If the BA Psychology degree is not used for entry requirements for the future Master's degree nor a personal/professional goal, then it's easier, you can go for the BALS with that Psychology concentration...

Further to what I mentioned above, it's not just Silicon Valley, looking for individuals who have "multi-disciplinary" degrees, other companies globally are as well. A BALS no longer is frowned upon as it can lead people into multiple graduate schools of their choosing, it also gives you a chance to learn more than one subject... decide what your goals are, make the final say yourself.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Even if you DO want to enter a psychology related grad program, as long as you have the prerequisites they want, having a psychology bachelor's degree isn't that important.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa
bjcheung and davewill, thank you for your comments. I resonate with your views. I also feel it will be easier on me financially, which is my main criterion now. I would appreciate if you can help me make more sense of the requirements for BALS- Psych Concentration, before I write to TESU for academic advising.
On this page, I see the requirements for BALS- Psych. concentration: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/liberal-studies

It says 18-credit concentration with an additional 12 credits of Liberal studies. Will those additional 12 credits have to be some subject other than psychology?

These are the courses I have currently completed:

History & systems, Psych of Personality, Org. Theory, I/O Psychology (all UL courses)

Intro to Psych, Growth & Development, Social Psych, Ethics in Soc. Sciences (all LL courses)

I might need one more UL course to make up for the 15 UL credits. Can I just choose any one UL course on SDC- say Project Management? I am also ok with taking one UL Uexcel exam- like Research methods in Psychology or Social Psychology.

Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 

(12-09-2018, 05:26 PM)Supermind Wrote:
(12-09-2018, 03:48 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

I am willing to take that. I know some forum members who were asked to take that to satisfy UL requirements. Now, I am being told that it won’t. This is very confusing. I sent an email on Friday seeking more clarification. Waiting to hear from them.

TESU OSS has this feature of creating a mock academic evaluation if I decided to change my degree now. I tried putting BALS. Looks like all my psychology AOS courses, including IO psych fit in very well there. I might be able to find more UL options on SDC itself, and the rest of the LL options could be found on Saylor etc. i would love to have a psychology degree, but if TESU is going to be very stringent in its rules, I need to change my path to save costs. I do not want to be forced to write expensive Uexcel exams or take TESU courses just for the sake of UL credits. I would like to know the views of the forum members.

That's a tough call, probably not one someone can make for you. At the end of the day, you're not doing this twice, so you could argue that it makes sense to get the degree you want, however.... if that degree process adds debt and pushes back your timeline, you may want to consider a faster cheaper undergrad so you can spend the money on a masters in psych. While you may not want to "practice" in the field, there are some things you can do with a masters, but nothing really you can do with a bachelors - so for *me* if I had to shell out more time and money, I'd use it for grad credit (which btw you can do at TESU. If you take a graduate course in psychology TESU will transfer it "down" to upper level in your degree)
Thank you cookderosa. I am thinking along similar lines.

You can take any BALS course that's UL for the degree - which Project Management is not (it's a business course, which won't count).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-11-2018, 06:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You can take any BALS course that's UL for the degree - which Project Management is not (it's a business course, which won't count).

What’s a BALS course? I see there are a variety of fields to choose from. So, any UL credit from one of those fields specified?

Management related courses are part of BALS, right? Although study.com classifies project management as Bud-311, it transfers into TESU as MAN-435. I plan to ask academic advising.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 26 2,046 03-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,574 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP