Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assistance appreciated.
dfrecore Wrote:If I were you, I would probably do Excelsior if you don't want to bother with RA credits; or COSC if you want the cheapest price.  They will take your ALEKS courses in the following way:

UMPI is competency-based, think WGU, I would only do that if I was sure I could go fast and finish in 1-2 terms, if you're looking to take your time, I'd do COSC or EC.

Exactly, UMPI is awesome but may not be great for everyone.  It all depends on the situation in your life, if you can finish in 2-3 terms, you will be at the same price point as COSC and Excelsior, at 4 terms, you'll be at the price of TESU. From your previous experience, you had to put your education on hold because the wife wanted hers... would something else come into play this time around? I would do the following as the Big 3/UMPI etc all require them, general education/free electives.

So, as everyone including myself mentioned, get the cheap/easy/fast credits at Sophia.org for Lower Level and then Study.com for Upper Level requirements, no matter which of the Big 3 or CBE options you choose.  Essentially, you need to decide which program/school to go would provide you the best ROI/Value in the long run.  Work on Sophia and decide later... there's no right/wrong choice, but there maybe a better option for you or suited for you in a different scenario...

The reasons I chose TESU is multi-fold, 1) You can transfer in all but two courses  2) University Status  3) almost 60K alumni for networking  4) ACBSP accreditation for business programs  5) Cost, Ease, Speed to finish - just compare a BC college/university that has ACBSP, their tuition for the BSBA would be at more than twice the cost of TESU.  At TESU, you can finish in 1 year, at a local college or university, it'll take the full 4 years (butt-in-seat to boot!)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-31-2021, 07:32 PM)freeloader Wrote: I completed 2 courses my first session, 5 course my second, and am aiming for 5 this session. I didn’t spend nearly as much time on my studies as I should have/could have during that first term. They were subjects that didn’t interest me and I kind of put them off until the last minute  

If you only do Sophia you are going to need to complete more than 10 classes at UMPI, certainly for a BA in Accounting or BABA Accounting Concentration.

I believe you would have to complete, at minimum:
Managerial accounting
Intermediate Accounting I
Intermediate Accounting II
Federal Tax I
Federal Tax II
Business Law II
Auditing
Advanced Accounting
Financial Management (Sophia Finance comes in as elective)
Biology
Spanish/French
Business analytics
Strategic Profession Communications
Spreadsheet Applications or MGMT info Sys (BA vs BABA)

For the BA Acc you would also need
Gov and Non Prof Accounting
Cost Accounting

For the BABA you would need
Legal and Ethical Environment of Business

I have a prior BA (history), so my Gen Ed requirements were met.  I had also taken some business classes at other colleges/universities. You might have some other Gen Ed requirements and other major/concentration course beyond those I listed. There are other posts in the UMPI section of the board and there are people on the board who can help you much more with Gen Ed’s than I could.

So, with only Sophia courses, I think you would be at or near 20 courses you would need to complete at UMPI.  The problem isn’t so much the matter of total course/hours, it’s doing things that tick off all the boxes for the major/concentration. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Even with a busy life/schedule I think 4-5 courses is very reasonable for a term, if you devote some time each day to your studies and take this seriously. As I am sure you have seen, there are people who have done SUBSTANTIALLY more than that. I know 20 courses (give or take) sounds like a lot, but completing that in 4-5 terms is, IMHO, very doable.  If you are a quick learner and move fast, you might get that done in 2-3 terms.

If you are really prioritizing getting done as quickly/cheaply as possible, you could also consider the BLS with accounting minor. You could likely add some of the accounting classes (like cost, auditing, and advanced) that aren’t included in the minor to your degree plan to help you hit your 120 hours and meet other degree requirements.  Unfortunately for you, OP, you are going to get stuck learning American taxation which isn’t going to be terribly useful, regardless of which path you take (assuming you do UMPI).
Thanks for the rundown. Just to clarify, when you are referring to terms there are two sessions per term? Were you completing 4-5 courses per session, or per term? I don't consider you the bearer of bad news at all, it is what it is and I know I have a lot of ground to cover. Your detailed input has been really great to hear. You are right about American Taxation, but I am not aware of any similar system in Canada that is available so I'll just consider it a part of the journey Smile

(03-31-2021, 08:18 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Definitely avoid UMPI's biology course for now, too. Poor ashkir. The one on Study.com is quick and easy to take. Also, assuming you do accounting, I think you get stuck learning American taxation no matter which school you choose.

I've started a note and suggestion list and am going to make myself a little spreadsheet with all the useful bits I'm gleaning from everyone here. The biology course will be right at the top!! 

I think you are right about the American taxation, it's just how it has to be for me to take the credits outside of Canada.

(03-31-2021, 10:27 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
dfrecore Wrote:If I were you, I would probably do Excelsior if you don't want to bother with RA credits; or COSC if you want the cheapest price.  They will take your ALEKS courses in the following way:

UMPI is competency-based, think WGU, I would only do that if I was sure I could go fast and finish in 1-2 terms, if you're looking to take your time, I'd do COSC or EC.

Exactly, UMPI is awesome but may not be great for everyone.  It all depends on the situation in your life, if you can finish in 2-3 terms, you will be at the same price point as COSC and Excelsior, at 4 terms, you'll be at the price of TESU. From your previous experience, you had to put your education on hold because the wife wanted hers... would something else come into play this time around? I would do the following as the Big 3/UMPI etc all require them, general education/free electives.

So, as everyone including myself mentioned, get the cheap/easy/fast credits at Sophia.org for Lower Level and then Study.com for Upper Level requirements, no matter which of the Big 3 or CBE options you choose.  Essentially, you need to decide which program/school to go would provide you the best ROI/Value in the long run.  Work on Sophia and decide later... there's no right/wrong choice, but there maybe a better option for you or suited for you in a different scenario...

The reasons I chose TESU is multi-fold, 1) You can transfer in all but two courses  2) University Status  3) almost 60K alumni for networking  4) ACBSP accreditation for business programs  5) Cost, Ease, Speed to finish - just compare a BC college/university that has ACBSP, their tuition for the BSBA would be at more than twice the cost of TESU.  At TESU, you can finish in 1 year, at a local college or university, it'll take the full 4 years (butt-in-seat to boot!)
It's good to have options. I don't think that I would have to put my education on hold for any reason at this stage of the game. Kids are grown and life is very stable. My accountant weighed in that it's a go for me to pay for this out of my company so things are looking good. I'm going to start hammering on the Sophia courses and see where it takes me. I'm liking UMPI and will just have to see if it's the right fit once I have filled out my transcript a bit. I'm still open to the others if that works best at the time.It's an exciting prospect for me and I thank you all for your help in getting me on the right path.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lidel's post:
  • rachel83az
lidel,
Apologies for not being precise with my language regarding sessions/terms. All the time periods I references were 8-week subscription periods ($1,400US/ period). So, when the current period ends I hope to have completed 12 courses in 3 periods.

I am self-funding, so I will have spent $4,200 for the 12 courses/36 credits. That’s around $117/credit. For graded, RA credit at a university that’s a really good deal.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(04-01-2021, 07:03 AM)freeloader Wrote: lidel,
Apologies for not being precise with my language regarding sessions/terms. All the time periods I references were 8-week subscription periods ($1,400US/ period). So, when the current period ends I hope to have completed 12 courses in 3 periods.  

I am self-funding, so I will have spent $4,200 for the 12 courses/36 credits.  That’s around $117/credit.  For graded, RA credit at a university that’s a really good deal.
No worries, I figured you meant sessions. That is indeed a good deal and it gives me a great reference point for a reasonable number of courses per session. Time to take the plunge today and start on the many Sophia courses I have ahead, then work on some of those outstanding accounting courses from other sources to weed it down to 10!!  Happy studies to you.
Be aware that courses at UMPI may build on one another so, in some instances, it is actually faster and easier to take fewer outside courses instead of trying to complete UMPI like you would complete the big 3. This is apparently true of the Project Management minor where you do NOT want to complete Sophia's Project Management course or else you will be behind in one or two UL courses. I don't know which, if any, accounting courses might be similar.

But you've got some time while you complete Sophia to figure out what you might or might not be bringing in from elsewhere. In a couple of weeks, maybe you'll have a completely different idea of how to proceed with your studies.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-01-2021, 09:47 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Be aware that courses at UMPI may build on one another so, in some instances, it is actually faster and easier to take fewer outside courses instead of trying to complete UMPI like you would complete the big 3. This is apparently true of the Project Management minor where you do NOT want to complete Sophia's Project Management course or else you will be behind in one or two UL courses. I don't know which, if any, accounting courses might be similar.

But you've got some time while you complete Sophia to figure out what you might or might not be bringing in from elsewhere. In a couple of weeks, maybe you'll have a completely different idea of how to proceed with your studies.

That's good to know Rachel, thank you. Being new and all I never thought of that. You are right that this process is likely to evolve as I learn more about the process and begin getting courses under my belt. I have always enjoyed math, and bookkeeping and my accountant has joked for years that I missed my calling, but I may get two classes in and hate it. The upcoming prospect of learning something new is exciting, but I'm going to try to remain flexible to see where it takes me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lidel's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Assistance? Cocolisa1 4 544 10-25-2023, 10:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Assistance with UMPI BABA degree? matchew 28 2,493 10-18-2023, 08:24 PM
Last Post: matchew
  Degree plan assistance HelenCook 11 551 10-12-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Thumbs Up Nearing the finish line! Advice appreciated. TwinMom 16 1,030 07-24-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  I need help figuring out how to finally obtain Bachelors, advice appreciated dadof3 54 3,390 05-27-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: dadof3
  Degree Plan Assistance/Feedback Jennbean1 8 724 04-19-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI degree plan needed/assistance needed Personherebb9 7 804 01-21-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Old timer hoping to finally finish his degree. Advice appreciated. Vin 76 5,353 01-11-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Quick answer would be appreciated! booklovingirl 3 708 12-20-2021, 12:57 AM
Last Post: booklovingirl
  47 RA Credits - Bachelor's Degree Assistance (Liberal Studies, Econ, or Electrical) GotmyBig3Degree! 16 1,809 11-23-2021, 04:07 PM
Last Post: GotmyBig3Degree!