Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assistance with UMPI BABA degree?
Hello all,

Thank you all for the information provided on these forums. While it has all been a great help, I am a bit overwhelmed with all the information. 

I'm currently enrolled in a program at Eastern Gateway Community College (EGCC) to get my Associates, Business Management with a Cyber Security certificate. These are the classes I will have completed sometime early to mid next year:
  • BUS101 - Intro to Business
  • CIS101 - Personal Computer Applications
  • ECO102 - Microeconomics
  • ENG101 - Eng Comp I
  • ACC111 - Financial Accounting
  • BUS201 - Principles of Marketing
  • MGT201 - Principles of Management
  • PSC101 - American Gov
  • BUS221 - Business Ethics
  • COM101 - Public Speaking
  • ENG103 - Business Communications
  • MGT202 - Organizational Behavior
  • PSY101 - Gen Psych
  • MGT206 - Capstone
  • MGT208 - Human Resources Management
  • MTH105 - Quantitative Reasoning
  • CYS102 - System Administration
  • CYS103 - Network Defense
  • CYS100 - Security Foundations
  • CYS101 - Networking Foundations
I think the plan for me currently would be to transfer these credits (and more) to UMPI to get a BABA with Supply Chain Management or BLS with Management Information Systems. I am open to either one, as they both somewhat apply to my current + future goals. At the end of the day, I would like the easiest and quickest degree to attain since I am really only getting this degree to satisfy a box I need to fill for my current employer (AA and BA will get me a 15% + 20% raise respectively).

With that said, I am curious of everyone's opinions, in addition to how many more classes I should take via Sophia or Study.com in order to transfer over the maximum amount of classes to UMPI to try and shorten my time there. Any information or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Check out the wiki for degree plans: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI Of you have any specific questions, let us know!

At minimum, you still need a foreign language (Spanish I at Sophia works) as well as sciences + a science lab. Sophia also has these.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I would complete Spanish 1, Intro to Chem with lab, Macroeconomics, College Algebra, and Human Biology on Sophia at the bare minimum.
(01-12-2023, 09:21 AM)matchew Wrote: Hello all,

Thank you all for the information provided on these forums. While it has all been a great help, I am a bit overwhelmed with all the information. 

I'm currently enrolled in a program at Eastern Gateway Community College (EGCC) to get my Associates, Business Management with a Cyber Security certificate. These are the classes I will have completed sometime early to mid next year:
  • ENG101 - Eng Comp I
  • PSC101 - American Gov
  • PSY101 - Gen Psych
  • MGT206 - Capstone
I think the plan for me currently would be to transfer these credits (and more) to UMPI to get a BABA with Supply Chain Management or BLS with Management Information Systems. I am open to either one, as they both somewhat apply to my current + future goals. At the end of the day, I would like the easiest and quickest degree to attain since I am really only getting this degree to satisfy a box I need to fill for my current employer (AA and BA will get me a 15% + 20% raise respectively).

With that said, I am curious of everyone's opinions, in addition to how many more classes I should take via Sophia or Study.com in order to transfer over the maximum amount of classes to UMPI to try and shorten my time there. Any information or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Hello Matchew,

I am guessing you are located in either Steubenville, OH area or the Youngstown area in Ohio based on the fact that you are at EGCC. I am not sure about Jefferson County residents by Steubenville, but, I know that residents of Mahoning (where I live), Trumbull, or Columbiana County in Ohio currently are getting free tuition or if you are part of a union in your job. I am guessing that Jefferson County residents are getting the free tuition waiver as well. I just wanted to make sure you aware of this fact as free tuition at EGCC. I wanted to make sure you are aware of this fact in case you were not aware, but, I am guessing the school counselor would have told you.

https://egcc.edu/the-egcc-gateway-guarantee/

I would defer to rachel83az or anymore of the senior board members as they have expert advice. You might want to look at either the 4 month ($300) or 1 year membership ($600). Unless you can get the rest of the courses you need in a timely manner for free at EGCC (which you likely could get for your AS degree), I would look at the 4 month option if you are taking the 4 or 5 courses that @rachel83az recommended and you can get them done quicker than a 15 week semester. You can also try Sophia 30 days for free. 

Depending on if you need more upper level credits and don't want to take them at UMPI, it would be worth looking at Study.com also as I think you can get the other upper level courses you need done there in about 2 months if you are working at a good pace. This should likely run about $200-300 range. The goal would be to get as close as possible to 90 credit hours (UMPI accepts up to 90 credit hours) between EGCC, Sophia (if needed), and Study.com as possible before doing the final 30 credit hours at UMPI and I would recommend the competency self-paced YourPace program. If you take the average amount of time mentioned on here at finishing your UMPI in 2 sessions (two 8 week sessions), then you would be looking at about $2800 for UMPI plus around $300 for Sophia for 4 months and $200-300 for Study.com if needed. If you have free EGCC tuition, it looks like you would be about $3100-3400 for a bachelor's degree which is great. 

While I am not an expert here, I am attaching a sample degree plan for the BABA with concentration in Mgmt and Leadership to give you an idea from Ashkir. I believe he did it in like 6 months from 0 credits to 120 working 20 hours a week and no weekends. This was including Sophia, SDC, and UMPI (I could be wrong). I would look at the finalized degree plans for the BABA in Supply Chain Mgmt on the UMPI section or on the degree planning board. 

You can take Intro to Chemistry with the lab at Sophia or BIO101L at SDC to meet the Lab Science requirement. I am currently taking the Intro to Chem class and it does not seem too bad. Different people here have said it takes anywhere from about 8-15 hours to complete.

I went to YSU for about 1.5 years and took a break from school but I am now looking at finishing my BABA at UMPI in Mgmt and Leadership.

Hope this helps.

ece2001biz

Attached Files
.xlsx   6 Month UMPI BABA Degree (1).xlsx (Size: 21.06 KB / Downloads: 23)
(01-15-2023, 02:49 PM)ece2001biz Wrote:
(01-12-2023, 09:21 AM)matchew Wrote: Hello all,

• ENG101 - Eng Comp I
  • PSC101 - American Gov
  • PSY101 - Gen Psych
  • MGT206 - Capstone

Thank you.
Hello Matchew,

I am guessing you are located in either Steubenville, OH area or the Youngstown area in Ohio based on the fact that you are at EGCC. I am not sure about Jefferson County residents by Steubenville, but, I know that residents of Mahoning (where I live), Trumbull, or Columbiana County in Ohio currently are getting free tuition or if you are part of a union in your job. I am guessing that Jefferson County residents are getting the free tuition waiver as well. I just wanted to make sure you aware of this fact as free tuition at EGCC. I wanted to make sure you are aware of this fact in case you were not aware, but, I am guessing the school counselor would have told you.

https://egcc.edu/the-egcc-gateway-guarantee/

I would defer to rachel83az or anymore of the senior board members as they have expert advice. You might want to look at either the 4 month ($300) or 1 year membership ($600). Unless you can get the rest of the courses you need in a timely manner for free at EGCC (which you likely could get for your AS degree), I would look at the 4 month option if you are taking the 4 or 5 courses that @rachel83az recommended and you can get them done quicker than a 15 week semester. You can also try Sophia 30 days for free. 

Depending on if you need more upper level credits and don't want to take them at UMPI, it would be worth looking at Study.com also as I think you can get the other upper level courses you need done there in about 2 months if you are working at a good pace. This should likely run about $200-300 range. The goal would be to get as close as possible to 90 credit hours (UMPI accepts up to 90 credit hours) between EGCC, Sophia (if needed), and Study.com as possible before doing the final 30 credit hours at UMPI and I would recommend the competency self-paced YourPace program. If you take the average amount of time mentioned on here at finishing your UMPI in 2 sessions (two 8 week sessions), then you would be looking at about $2800 for UMPI plus around $300 for Sophia for 4 months and $200-300 for Study.com if needed. If you have free EGCC tuition, it looks like you would be about $3100-3400 for a bachelor's degree which is great. 

While I am not an expert here, I am attaching a sample degree plan for the BABA with concentration in Mgmt and Leadership to give you an idea from Ashkir. I believe he did it in like 6 months from 0 credits to 120 working 20 hours a week and no weekends. This was including Sophia, SDC, and UMPI (I could be wrong). I would look at the finalized degree plans for the BABA in Supply Chain Mgmt on the UMPI section or on the degree planning board. 

You can take Intro to Chemistry with the lab at Sophia or BIO101L at SDC to meet the Lab Science requirement. I am currently taking the Intro to Chem class and it does not seem too bad. Different people here have said it takes anywhere from about 8-15 hours to complete.

I went to YSU for about 1.5 years and took a break from school but I am now looking at finishing my BABA at UMPI in Mgmt and Leadership.

Hope this helps.

ece2001biz

Thank you so much!

I'm actually a California resident, but my union has a program with EGCC that gives us free tuition. I'm taking advantage of this program as I get raises at work (total of a 40% raise once I get a bachelors), but taking my time as well since 1) I can only turn in 15 units per year and 2) working full time with a wife and kids only allows me a small amount of time per week to dedicate to studies. 

Thank you for all your information you provided, it's greatly appreciated. I think I will model my own educational plan similar to the one you provided to get an idea of what I need to do after I finish up at EGCC. You are correct, though, in that I am trying to transfer over as many credits as possible before enrolling to UMPI. The shorter the better, for me.

Thank you again!
With a 40% raise at stake, there's no real good reason to continue with EGCC, IMO, unless you really need that specific Associate degree. Pierpont is free, and you may have enough credits for this right now. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC You need 60 credits, which include: 3 credits in communications, 6 credits in math/science, 3 credits in social sciences, and 3 credits in computer literacy.

Of the list you posted, you're only missing: 3 credits in science or math (I suggest Human Biology or Environmental Science, for now; you will need at least one of these for UMPI) and Introduction to IT from Sophia. Since you're using a computer, you can probably pass Intro to IT in a day. Same with Human Biology. Environmental Science might take 2 or 3 days.

I see that you have not finished all of the classes on the list.
If you have not finished MTH105, take College Algebra OR a 2nd Science from Sophia.
If you have finished neither ENG101 nor COM101 yet, take Visual Communications from Sophia.
If you haven't finished Microecon, take Macroecon @ Sophia. You will need both for UMPI anyway.

You can get literally everything you need from Sophia. There are optional classes you can take at Study.com and maybe Coursera, but you'd need to sit down and plan things out.

Pierpont's next graduation date should be in April or May. If you're not going to graduate from EGCC before then, I would give serious thought to Pierpont. I don't know what your current salary is, but a 15% raise on just minimum wage (and you're hopefully already earning more than that!) would be almost $400/mo.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(01-17-2023, 10:09 AM)rachel83az Wrote: With a 40% raise at stake, there's no real good reason to continue with EGCC, IMO, unless you really need that specific Associate degree. Pierpont is free, and you may have enough credits for this right now. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC You need 60 credits, which include: 3 credits in communications, 6 credits in math/science, 3 credits in social sciences, and 3 credits in computer literacy.

Of the list you posted, you're only missing: 3 credits in science or math (I suggest Human Biology or Environmental Science, for now; you will need at least one of these for UMPI) and Introduction to IT from Sophia. Since you're using a computer, you can probably pass Intro to IT in a day. Same with Human Biology. Environmental Science might take 2 or 3 days.

I see that you have not finished all of the classes on the list.
If you have not finished MTH105, take College Algebra OR a 2nd Science from Sophia.
If you have finished neither ENG101 nor COM101 yet, take Visual Communications from Sophia.
If you haven't finished Microecon, take Macroecon @ Sophia. You will need both for UMPI anyway.

You can get literally everything you need from Sophia. There are optional classes you can take at Study.com and maybe Coursera, but you'd need to sit down and plan things out.

Pierpont's next graduation date should be in April or May. If you're not going to graduate from EGCC before then, I would give serious thought to Pierpont. I don't know what your current salary is, but a 15% raise on just minimum wage (and you're hopefully already earning more than that!) would be almost $400/mo.

Thank you for all this! Unfortunately, I already graduated with my first AA back in 2013. I got hired later that year, and per our union contract, the AA or BA have to be attained while being an active employee. Because of that, I do not believe I am eligible for this program.
(01-19-2023, 09:11 AM)matchew Wrote: Thank you for all this! Unfortunately, I already graduated with my first AA back in 2013. I got hired later that year, and per our union contract, the AA or BA have to be attained while being an active employee. Because of that, I do not believe I am eligible for this program.

So go for that BABA! You can complete it in under a year especially since you already have an AA meaning you'll have transfer credit and can complete the remaining needed credits to be in great shape to complete UMPI in 2-3 sessions.
You can use your current tuition assistance and complete the remaining Cybersecurity Cert and Associates degree. With the credits you currently have, you can transfer the max to UMPI BABA and if you need to get this done faster, supplement those credits with Sophia.org for anything you're missing, please note the max you can transfer to UMPI is 90 credits towards the degree of choice... you must complete the final 30 credits for residency requirements.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-19-2023, 12:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-19-2023, 09:11 AM)matchew Wrote: Thank you for all this! Unfortunately, I already graduated with my first AA back in 2013. I got hired later that year, and per our union contract, the AA or BA have to be attained while being an active employee. Because of that, I do not believe I am eligible for this program.

So go for that BABA! You can complete it in under a year especially since you already have an AA meaning you'll have transfer credit and can complete the remaining needed credits to be in great shape to complete UMPI in 2-3 sessions.

I agree. Depending on what you're taking right now, you can probably do both UMPI and EGCC at the same time. You said you're limited to 15 credits in a single year from EGCC and that's not a lot. A 40% bump in salary is over $1000/mo. at minimum wage. Again, hopefully, you're earning more than that. The sooner you get this done, the better!

Your list of classes, does that include the AA you graduated with in 2013? If not, please list all credits you've earned, whether from EGCC or elsewhere.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 262 1 hour ago
Last Post: rachel83az
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 4 79 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 593 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,166 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,905 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 202 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,151 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,305 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 472 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM