Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Associate Degree COSC
(03-30-2020, 06:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I agree, do Sophia NOW, everything that you can that covers the GE requirements:
English Comp I & II (WRITTEN COMMUNICATION)
Public Speaking (ORAL COMMUNICATION)
Intro to Ethics (ETHICAL DECISION-MAKING)
US History I or II (US HISTORY/GOVERNMENT)
Religion (GLOBAL UNDERSTANDING and NON-US HISTORY OR CULTURE)
Art History I or II or Visual Communication (LITERATURE & FINE ARTS)
Psych, Sociology, Microecon or Macroecon (SOCIAL/BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE)
College Algebra or Statistics (MATHEMATICS)
Environmental Science (NATURAL SCIENCES W/O LAB)

Then go back and take anything else you can fit in before the free deal goes away.

You should do your lab science at Study.com (BIO101L) because it's the cheapest option.
These are great suggestions for my daughter who will begin high school (freshman) in August with 5 units already completed towards the 24 required for the high school Diploma. What’s your thought about a gifted/advanced kid to take English Comp (or World History) on Sophia or another service while at the same time completing the similar high school courses and then sit for the Sophia test around the time she has her final exam in the high school course? 

Our goal is our daughter to “accelerate” high school while earning credits to earn her associate’s degree probably from COSC when she graduates high school. We wonder if she can pull this off by using the sample strategy I noted, along with passing AP and CLEP tests plus taking college credit courses via dual enrollment (i.e., up to 30 credit hours with tuition and fees paid by the State of Georgia). 

This website https://dualcreditathome.com/ has been a great help to figure out ways for a bright high school kid to earn college credit (principally through CLEP) and be way ahead in earning credits towards a degree very inexpensively. Surely, our goal is that our daughter earn her bachelor’s degree with little or no student loan debt. I hope we can pull it off!!!
Sophia only gives you 60 days (plus a 30-day extension if absolutely necessary) to complete a course. That makes it very hard to synch up with any courses being taken IRL.

Sophia's English Comp I isn't unlike the (advanced) English classes I had in 7th and 8th grade. A smart high schooler should have absolutely no problems finishing English Comp I. IMO, for the most part, the gen ed requirements in most colleges (which Sophia provides, for the most part) only really exist to ensure that students actually left HS with various knowledge. There are, sadly, too many kids who graduate and who are barely able to read/write/do math. So your daughter is going to have to take a lot of redundant stuff in order to get her bachelor's.

That said, it does make it much, much easier for a dedicated student to do both Sophia and HS at the same time.

If your goal is for her to graduate with as little debt as possible, I would personally recommend skipping the associates and go straight to a bachelor's. An associate's and a bachelor's cost roughly the same when you're testing out of classes (as with Sophia) but an associate's really isn't worth all that much except in certain circumstances. Instead of paying $5-8k for an associate's and $5-8k for a bachelor's, just spend the $5-8k on the bachelor's.
Plus for high school student if they need to build up their skills, the fundamentals of english and fundamentals of algbera and stats are great. They don't grant credit but they do improve skills and confidence. This can be helpful if the student isnt ready for the courses yet.
Since the student is so young, it won't cost an arm & leg to get the Associates degree en route to the Bachelors. It'll be a great ego booster as well, many High School students shoot for the Associates as a stepping stone towards the Bachelors. You actually only need to pay an extra graduation fee and that's about it...

Just keep in mind what the student wants to do for their future career and what educational requirements are needed for that role. Choose the path of least resistance and go get them Sophia.org credits while it's free and hot! If it was for yourself, I would recommend getting the degree of choice and still get the associates also, since there is no need for extra studies to get the Associates.

For some people (like me) it would be a CV/resume to have an Associates in Arts/Science in a specific subject, such as Biology/Comp Sci or Math, whatever it may be... Go with your initial plan and ladder up to a Bachelors degree of the students choice - I recommend the subjects that are closely related to the Associates but can be anything, such as the fully test-out-able degree options.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-03-2020, 11:56 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Since the student is so young, it won't cost an arm & leg to get the Associates degree en route to the Bachelors.  It'll be a great ego booster as well, many High School students shoot for the Associates as a stepping stone towards the Bachelors.  You actually only need to pay an extra graduation fee and that's about it...

Just keep in mind what the student wants to do for their future career and what educational requirements are needed for that role.  Choose the path of least resistance and go get them Sophia.org credits while it's free and hot!  If it was for yourself, I would recommend getting the degree of choice and still get the associates also, since there is no need for extra studies to get the Associates.

For some people (like me) it would be a CV/resume to have an Associates in Arts/Science in a specific subject, such as Biology/Comp Sci or Math, whatever it may be... Go with your initial plan and ladder up to a Bachelors degree of the students choice - I recommend the subjects that are closely related to the Associates but can be anything, such as the fully test-out-able degree options.

Thanks for the great suggestions. The challenge with Sophia courses is that they may not be accepted by state flagship and highly selective universities. Even some universities don’t accept CLEP scores. Overall, I would be pleased if my daughter is able to earn around 45 semester hours by the time she graduates high school that will mostly satisfy typical General Education requirements. The associate’s degree, such as from COSC, would be nice and a goal to achieve but probably our first focus is AP scores and dual enrollment courses. We know there would be no problem with these credits (AP and dual enrollment) being accepted by universities such as Duke, Emory, UNC, UGA, UVA, Univ of Florida, or Vanderbilt.

We’ll have a better idea how we will proceed by the end of her freshman year since she will also be sitting for the SAT/ACT tests. If her scores are not of the caliber to be accepted in a big time name school, we may revert back to the idea of the associate’s and/or bachelor’s degree perhaps from COSC, TESU, Excelsior, etc. In this day and age I believe the key to success will be earning a graduate degree in a “hot” field such info technology, healthcare, or who knows what in the next 5-10 years. Surely, a degree from the aforementioned regionally-accredited and “flexible” institutions will satisfy admission to a quality graduate program.

Thanks again for your suggestions and recommendation.
(05-04-2020, 08:42 AM)pbcoastal Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 11:56 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Since the student is so young, it won't cost an arm & leg to get the Associates degree en route to the Bachelors.  It'll be a great ego booster as well, many High School students shoot for the Associates as a stepping stone towards the Bachelors.  You actually only need to pay an extra graduation fee and that's about it...

Just keep in mind what the student wants to do for their future career and what educational requirements are needed for that role.  Choose the path of least resistance and go get them Sophia.org credits while it's free and hot!  If it was for yourself, I would recommend getting the degree of choice and still get the associates also, since there is no need for extra studies to get the Associates.

Thanks for the great suggestions. The challenge with Sophia courses is that they may not be accepted by state flagship and highly selective  universities. Even some universities don’t accept CLEP scores. Overall, I would be pleased if my daughter is able to earn around 45 semester hours by the time she graduates high school  that will mostly satisfy typical General Education requirements. The associate’s degree, such as from COSC, would be nice and a goal to achieve but probably our first focus is AP scores and dual enrollment courses. We know there would be no problem with these credits (AP and dual enrollment) being accepted by universities such as Duke, Emory, UNC, UGA, UVA, Univ of Florida, or Vanderbilt.  

We’ll have a better idea how we will proceed by the end of her freshman year since she will also be sitting for the SAT/ACT tests. If her scores are not of the caliber to be accepted in a big time name school, we may revert back to the idea of the associate’s and/or bachelor’s degree perhaps from COSC, TESU, Excelsior, etc. In this day and age I believe the key to success will be earning a graduate degree in a “hot” field such info technology, healthcare, or who knows what in the next 5-10 years. Surely, a degree from the aforementioned regionally-accredited and “flexible” institutions will satisfy admission to a quality graduate program.

Thanks again for your suggestions and recommendation.

I wouldn't spend any time on Sophia courses if your child is already going to be doing AP and DE.  It seems like overload.  I'd have her do other things that interest her instead, and skip the AA at COSC or anywhere else.  If you're looking at going traditional, and competive/selective schools, AP should be your focus.  Even DE doesn't always transfer to these schools.  But that's my 2nd choice.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I agree but if the CC is has a good policy and allows 45 credits via CLEP and AP she could do 15 credits at the CC and get an associates that way. But you would ahve to double check with the college to make sure it lines up that way. It would cheap than a COSC associates thats for sure.

Another good option is ASU earned admissions she can get graded credit for only $100. And it is from a four university so even more likely to transfer to an elite school than clep, ap or even CC. English comp I and II and the math are all self paced.

And sopia isnt a total loss with all these time due to corona if there a subject your daughter finds particularly interesting (sciece, visual com, maybe IT) she can do those for fun. And still learn a little bit and get credit even if its not super useful.

Also if you want you daughter to get a FULL RIDE to an elite University. Check out the Evans Scholarship. The trick is you have to be a golf caddy at a qualifying country club for a few in order to even qualify. My brother and sister were golf caddies for years I believe they started at age 13. It is a really good job for young people. Maybe not this summer due to virus but next summer. My cousin got the Evans scholarship back in the day. According the their website they had a few years ago  800 applications and accepted 200 of them and apparently they are getting less applicants every year. While at the same time they are expanding the program and adding more schools. Just something to think about. They have some really elite schoolsike University of Michigan, Notre Dame and University of Washington.

And btw my brother and sister never actually applied for the evans. My sisters grades weren't good enough for the schools had to apply to. Plus she didn't want to go thsoe schools anyway. And brother joined the military. The reasin my parents even wanted them to be caddies was for the evans. But its okay they got some good work experience and spending money.

If you interested google for more information. Also many of the schools in the evans accept CLEP which is a bonus.
(05-04-2020, 04:00 PM)natshar Wrote: I agree but if the CC is has a good policy and allows 45 credits via CLEP and AP she could do 15 credits at the CC and get an associates that way. But you would ahve to double check with the college to make sure it lines up that way. It would cheap than a COSC associates thats for sure.

Another good option is ASU earned admissions she can get graded credit for only $100. And it is from a four university so even more likely to transfer to an elite school than clep, ap or even CC. English comp I and II and the math are all self paced.

And sopia isnt a total loss with all these time due to corona if there a subject your daughter finds particularly interesting (sciece, visual com, maybe IT) she can do those for fun. And still learn a little bit and get credit even if its not super useful.

Also if you want you daughter to get a FULL RIDE to an elite University. Check out the Evans Scholarship. The trick is you have to be a golf caddy at a qualifying country club for a few in order to even qualify. My brother and sister were golf caddies for years I believe they started at age 13. It is a really good job for young people. Maybe not this summer due to virus but next summer. My cousin got the Evans scholarship back in the day. According the their website they had a few years ago  800 applications and accepted 200 of them and apparently they are getting less applicants every year. While at the same time they are expanding the program and adding more schools. Just something to think about. They have some really elite schoolsike University of Michigan, Notre Dame and University of Washington.

And btw my brother and sister never actually applied for the evans. My sisters grades weren't good enough for the schools had to apply to. Plus she didn't want to go thsoe schools anyway. And brother joined the military. The reasin my parents even wanted them to be caddies was for the evans. But its okay they got some good work experience and spending money.

If you interested google for more information. Also many of the schools in the evans accept CLEP which is a bonus.

There is no point in getting an AA from COSC (or any other school) if you're looking to get into an elite university.  They won't take it as a block transfer, so they'll pick it apart.  And, it may make it harder to get in rather than easier; and harder to qualify for scholarships.

If my child was looking to go to an elite school, we would go the full-on traditional route 100%.  AP & DE only (don't care if it's a CC or 4yr).  You don't want an AA from a non-brand school with alternative credits muddying the waters on the application.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-04-2020, 04:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 04:00 PM)natshar Wrote: I agree but if the CC is has a good policy and allows 45 credits via CLEP and AP she could do 15 credits at the CC and get an associates that way. But you would ahve to double check with the college to make sure it lines up that way. It would cheap than a COSC associates thats for sure.

There is no point in getting an AA from COSC (or any other school) if you're looking to get into an elite university.  They won't take it as a block transfer, so they'll pick it apart.  And, it may make it harder to get in rather than easier; and harder to qualify for scholarships.

If my child was looking to go to an elite school, we would go the full-on traditional route 100%.  AP & DE only (don't care if it's a CC or 4yr).  You don't want an AA from a non-brand school with alternative credits muddying the waters on the application.
Tha actually makes sesne. I guess I was just saying if you have the credits why not. Maybe apply to associates after the college decision has made then it wouldn't make a difference. Like one final CC course the summer after graduation. But yeah I agree the associates might not help much. But if OP is set on an associates then this local CC would be cheaper and eiaser then COSC if they already have 15 credits dual enrolled.

Also there is a middle college program near my house and graduates from that school get associates degrees and some of them have gotten into really elite schools. But maybe it is because of the nature of the program and its not the same as random dual enrollment.
(03-30-2020, 06:22 PM)lacussucceed Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 06:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I agree, do Sophia NOW, everything that you can that covers the GE requirements:
English Comp I & II (WRITTEN COMMUNICATION)
Public Speaking (ORAL COMMUNICATION)
Intro to Ethics (ETHICAL DECISION-MAKING)
US History I or II (US HISTORY/GOVERNMENT)
Religion (GLOBAL UNDERSTANDING and NON-US HISTORY OR CULTURE)
Art History I or II or Visual Communication (LITERATURE & FINE ARTS)
Psych, Sociology, Microecon or Macroecon (SOCIAL/BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE)
College Algebra or Statistics (MATHEMATICS)
Environmental Science (NATURAL SCIENCES W/O LAB)

Then go back and take anything else you can fit in before the free deal goes away.

You should do your lab science at Study.com (BIO101L) because it's the cheapest option.

This could be a marked topic during this promotion. It's a great advice for almost everybody.

I don't thin COSC accepts English Composition 2 according to what I read online.  Have you heard otherwise?
Sophia has a link that shows courses that are guaranteed to transfer to COSC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,706 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,752 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 731 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,308 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,035 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,292 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,656 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,174 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  Help with Degree Plan origamishuttle 12 1,902 06-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,882 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium