Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Associate's Degree to Bachelor's Degree
Hello Everyone!

I have an Associate's Degree - Administrative from a local technical college. which has more business classes included rather than generals such as Algebra, Biology, etc.  I'd like to start working towards my Bachelor's Degree.  

While researching, I thought there was one school that gave a specific amount of credit for an Associate's Degree rather than each course.  Does anyone have any information about this?
MTAW Certified Municipal Treasurer - Wisconsin 
IAAP Certified Administrative Professional
Administrative Professional Associate Degree - Madison College

Next up: Bachelor's Degree 

Can you make a list of all the classes you have? No need to list the grades unless you got a C- or below. No need to list how many credits they are worth unless they are worth an amount other than three.
(04-15-2020, 09:31 AM)BSBRose21 Wrote: Hello Everyone!

I have an Associate's Degree - Administrative from a local technical college. which has more business classes included rather than generals such as Algebra, Biology, etc.  I'd like to start working towards my Bachelor's Degree.  

While researching, I thought there was one school that gave a specific amount of credit for an Associate's Degree rather than each course.  Does anyone have any information about this?

Hello! It would help to know which technical college, because there are different types of accreditation and which one your old school has may bear on your options.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(04-15-2020, 10:23 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 09:31 AM)BSBRose21 Wrote: Hello Everyone!

Hello! It would help to know which technical college, because there are different types of accreditation and which one your old school has may bear on your options.

Madison Area Technical College Madison, WI

Also the school that gives a specific amount for an associate's degree is WGU. If you have an associates it covers your gen eds.
(04-15-2020, 10:43 AM)BSBRose21 Wrote: Madison Area Technical College Madison, WI

Gotcha. Regionally accredited, which is the most useful kind in this case.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
Basically you need to decide on a degree and where, either the Big 3 or a Competency-Based degree provider such as Walden, your best bet right now is to take the courses from Sophia.org during your downtime of studies when you're done or during the summer semester or time when you can't take classes.

Take all the courses or at least sign up for all the courses that do not duplicate the ones you have taken at Madison Area Technical College, you get 3 months to "officially start" the course and if it's still too early, you can keep extending that start date to another 3 months later...

This should get you past the 90 credit mark for transfer into the Big 3 or the Competency degrees. Get all your general education/free electives done with Sophia.org - And yes, I read your other threads: You should already have the ACE credit registry banking your credits and the FREE courses on the WIKI done if not, do them all AFTER the Sophia.org courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-15-2020, 03:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically you need to decide on a degree and where, either the Big 3 or a Competency-Based degree provider such as Walden, your best bet right now is to take the courses from Sophia.org during your downtime of studies when you're done or during the summer semester or time when you can't take classes.  

Take all the courses or at least sign up for all the courses that do not duplicate the ones you have taken at Madison Area Technical College, you get 3 months to "officially start" the course and if it's still too early, you can keep extending that start date to another 3 months later...

This should get you past the 90 credit mark for transfer into the Big 3 or the Competency degrees.  Get all your general education/free electives done with Sophia.org - And yes, I read your other threads:  You should already have the ACE credit registry banking your credits and the FREE courses on the WIKI done if not, do them all AFTER the Sophia.org courses.
Thank you for this!  Yes, I do have the ACE Credit registry with the following courses along with my Madison Tech College courses (60 credits):

Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators (National Emergency Training Center)
Developing Effective Teams - Sophia
Essentials of Managing Conflict - Sophia
CyberSecurity for Business Professionals (2018 version)
CyberSecurity for Everyone (2018 version)
CyberSecurity for IT Professionals (2018 version)

First, is it an AAS, or a regular AA/AS degree? Because that makes a difference in if WGU will take that as a block transfer for your GE's. Second, the downside of the WGU program is that even if you had a regular AA/AS and they brought it in for your GE, it's like trading 60cr for 30cr or so. The GE makes up a smaller portion of your degree there than just about anywhere else.

I think that if you want a degree, it's better to figure out what kind of degree you want, and the cheapest/fastest way to get it - and WGU may or may not be your best option. One of the Big 3 may be better, especially COSC or EC's BSLS/BSLA degrees, which allow you to bring in lots of credit that wouldn't fit into a BALS degree (they both allow 60cr of non-liberal arts courses, while the BALS only allows for 30cr of less of those). WGU is VERY specific about what you can bring in, and if you have a lot of "electives" type courses that don't fit into their degrees, then you just "lose" that credit, meaning it just goes away and doesn't get applied.

You need to provide more info about the courses you took, so that we can help you make a good decision.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-15-2020, 08:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, is it an AAS, or a regular AA/AS degree?  Because that makes a difference in if WGU will take that as a block transfer for your GE's.  Second, the downside of the WGU program is that even if you had a regular AA/AS and they brought it in for your GE, it's like trading 60cr for 30cr or so.  The GE makes up a smaller portion of your degree there than just about anywhere else.

I think that if you want a degree, it's better to figure out what kind of degree you want, and the cheapest/fastest way to get it - and WGU may or may not be your best option.  One of the Big 3 may be better, especially COSC or EC's BSLS/BSLA degrees, which allow you to bring in lots of credit that wouldn't fit into a BALS degree (they both allow 60cr of non-liberal arts courses, while the BALS only allows for 30cr of less of those).  WGU is VERY specific about what you can bring in, and if you have a lot of "electives" type courses that don't fit into their degrees, then you just "lose" that credit, meaning it just goes away and doesn't get applied.

You need to provide more info about the courses you took, so that we can help you make a good decision.

I've attached a basic list of the classes I have taken.  I received 16 credits for the CAP Certification through IAAP (partnership with my tech school, not ACE certified).

Attached Files
.pdf   Degree Help.pdf (Size: 67.67 KB / Downloads: 30)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 396 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,459 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Confirm degree completed Carnation 0 439 01-26-2024, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  Degree Approval Timeline for BOG (December Graduation) txc1500 10 1,062 12-13-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: txc1500
  Pierpont --- Associate degree question midnite123 17 1,390 11-28-2023, 01:54 PM
  Pierpont to Charge $130 Fee for BOG Degree MissRN 35 3,314 11-08-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: NapoleonInRags
  How long does a Degree Audit typically take? 00u00u00 12 946 10-24-2023, 12:48 PM
  Pierpont degree - Early Childhood basilia 7 455 10-19-2023, 10:48 AM
  Pierpont Degree No Emphasis? mohelena02 4 536 10-18-2023, 08:22 PM
  How do I start getting this degree? LouisDG89 6 674 09-16-2023, 08:07 PM
Last Post: DolceDolce