Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Associate's vs Bachelor's
I've been trying to bust through a BALS at TESU for a little over a year now and keep hitting walls (aka life) that slow down my progress. I'm wondering if caving and getting an associate's to fill the gap until I can afford/find time to finish my BA would be a good idea. I only have 33 credits left, if I did my chart right (attached), to get my BALS but oof...I can't afford it right now time or money wise. I know absolutely nothing about TESU's associate options or the process to receive one of those. For example, concentrations, if there's a Capstone-like paper to do, cost, etc - I know none of that. 

Anybody care to inform me or voice some opinions?

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BALS.xlsx (Size: 49.68 KB / Downloads: 11)
Working towards BALS at TESU

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 
Language and Literacy in Education (OnlineDegree)

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

Free: Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for Professionals

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
Are those courses listed as TRANSFER on your spreadsheet from an RA school? If not are any of your existing credits from an RA school? I ask because if so then you may be eligible for a (free) Pierpont BOG AAS to hold you over until your finish your bachelor. (https://www.pierpont.edu/ac/specialprograms/bogdegree)

Be sure to finish your planned PHI-384 (ETHICS - Insurance Ethics, The Institute) credits ASAP - they're free and I believe they are set to expire at the end of this month.

I'm assuming your Shmoop credits are already on your evaluation with TESU; as TESU no longer accepts Shmoop.  If they're already on your evaluation and you're in an active enrollment status with TESU, then they are still valid.

What your showing under AOS UL is not listed as UL credits? This could be because they are LL# but came in already at TESU with UL and that is as they appear on your evaluation. If so, like the Shmoop if TESU has already given you the UL credit they let you keep it that way. 

For your remaining LL credits it looks like OnlineDegree would have options for you ($9 per course)

When does your evaluation (enrollment status) expire with TESU? How long before you need to take a TECEP or a course to keep active with them?  Also the Residency Waiver Fee is currently $2200 with Study.com affiliation (at least until 6/30/19)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • cookderosa
In my opinion, yours is exactly why many people get an associate's degree. Though it certainly isn't required on your way to a bachelor's it does give you something to use on a resume and as encouragement to help you keep going or as a point to take a break.
There are two scenarios where an associate's makes sense. The first one is if you may not finish the bachelor's. Then the associate's is better than nothing and you might want to go ahead and get it. If you're still committed to the bachelor's then ask yourself what the associate's can do for you in the meantime. Too often the answer is not much, but if it will get you a raise or a new job, then it might be worth the extra cost or effort.

In general, though, an associate's is fairly useless.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-14-2019, 03:00 PM)allvia Wrote: Are those courses listed as TRANSFER on your spreadsheet from an RA school? If not are any of your existing credits from an RA school? I ask because if so then you may be eligible for a (free) Pierpont BOG AAS to hold you over until your finish your bachelor. (https://www.pierpont.edu/ac/specialprograms/bogdegree)

Be sure to finish your planned PHI-384 (ETHICS - Insurance Ethics, The Institute) credits ASAP - they're free and I believe they are set to expire at the end of this month.

I'm assuming your Shmoop credits are already on your evaluation with TESU; as TESU no longer accepts Shmoop.  If they're already on your evaluation and you're in an active enrollment status with TESU, then they are still valid.

What your showing under AOS UL is not listed as UL credits? This could be because they are LL# but came in already at TESU with UL and that is as they appear on your evaluation. If so, like the Shmoop if TESU has already given you the UL credit they let you keep it that way. 

For your remaining LL credits it looks like OnlineDegree would have options for you ($9 per course)

When does your evaluation (enrollment status) expire with TESU? How long before you need to take a TECEP or a course to keep active with them?  Also the Residency Waiver Fee is currently $2200 with Study.com affiliation (at least until 6/30/19)

I wrote up this plan before Shmoop and TESU had issues. Haven't taken the time to rewrite it with CLEPs and OD courses yet. 

All my transfer credits were from a local state university. With the exception of two CLEP tests all these credits are placed in the chart according to where TESU put them. I became inactive (by accident) last month at TESU and have left my status as inactive due to not knowing how quickly I'll be finishing things up and not wanting to pay/put pressure on the situation until I knew for sure I'd be able to enroll in my Capstone very quickly. I'm not there yet, thus inactive. Not sure how that'll effect my transcript evaluation yet. I took my residency waiver with the Study affiliation when I first became active. Does that expire if you go inactive? 

Thanks for the heads up on The Institute course! I'll try and get that in today or tomorrow. 

Thanks all for the opinions so far :-) I'm feeling so discouraged over how long this is taking, especially knowing that it's taking so long because of money but I need it to make the money (circular problem as old as time, right?).

"Cost: The Institutes offer Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct at no charge. If you wish to earn continuing education (CE) credits for passing the 50-question, objective, online exam included with it, a nominal $5.50 administrative fee applies."

Went to start up the Ethics course through The Institutes and saw this. Has it always cost $5.50? Am I looking at the right class? This is the one listed in the resource guide thread.

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
Take the FREE course for The Institutes - not the one with a fee (there will be two versions listed on the Order Today tab)

TECEPs for LL are only $25 a credit now, so you might be able to reactive yourself by taking one.  There is one for $25 (single credit) for "medical terminology' I believe it is.  Remember, you don't have to pass it to count for you to remain active! (the $25 might be worth it to reactive you again for a year - especially if you already have UL and/or Shmoop transferred in, as well as the cornerstone waiver).  

Are you saying you already paid the residency waiver?  I believe t is only good for one year from when it is paid.  If you mean you had the cornerstone waived, but thought you had locked in the study.com residency waiver at a reduced rate (of $1800) - then not quite.  You do get a reduced rate for the residency waiver, it is just now $2200 (the standard is $2500).

It really looks to me that you would be eligible for the Pierpont BOG AAS - there are quite a few here that have received it, and no doubt they could assit you on how to go about getting it.

Don't get discouraged by how long its taking you to complete your BALS, look how far you've come! Took me 30+ years to finish, even with this forums help it took about 5 (2 once I got serious) - life, time and $ shortages got in the way.  And you still have free/super cheap credit options left to earn towards yours.  You'll get it done, try for that free (or cost of transcripts) Pierpont BOG AAS and get something on your resume - enjoy some degree reward while you move forward & save up to finish BALS.

There are a few associate degrees at TESU that do not require a capstone - but they all require the residency waiver (which again is only good for one year).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Doodlebabe
Just an FYI, the residency waiver is no longer $1800, it's now $2200.  Also, the cornerstone is $300, which you'll need to pay in order to get the degree (AA or BA).

I don't suggest TESU as the place to get an AA, as it's way too expensive unless you are almost guaranteed a promotion/pay raise at work for it.  There are cheaper ways to get it.

Also, the courses you have listed as UL are lower level courses, so I'm wondering if you mixed up UL and LL?

I would look at Pierpont, although I'm not sure if you care that you won't get a transcript - but you'll be able to put it on your resume, and you'll have a diploma as "proof" if you need it.

I would also look at your local CC if it's inexpensive to see if you're close to a general AA there.  It will probably be a lot less, if they don't make you take a bunch of courses for residency requirements.  They will take your state school courses, and probably CLEP as well; Study.com and others will probably be out the window.

Last thing to keep in mind - TESU does not charge per-term fees, so you're better off staying enrolled there than just about anywhere else.  You can reinstate your enrollment (you'd have to call and ask), but it really should be worth your time to do so.

Here's the Pierpont spreadsheet, looks like you're good to go.  I'd still reactivate your TESU enrollment though - take the cornerstone for $300 and you're good for another year.  Yes, it's too much, but it saves you from having to take the new cornerstone after 7/1/19 which is 3cr and $1100.  Hopefully at the end of a years time, you have the money to finish up or at least take the capstone.

Also, there are cheap/free ways to finish up your GE's and Free Electives.  CLEP/Modern States, Sophia courses, ALEKS math, OD, Saylor, etc.

Forgot to mention: I took my first alternative credit back in 2011 (ALEKS Beginning Algebra) and finally graduated in June 2018!  So don't be discouraged, just keep moving forward!

Attached Files
.xlsx   doodlebabe Pierpont BOG AAS.xlsx (Size: 15.03 KB / Downloads: 14)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I can feel your situation, as I was in a similar crisis in December. I almost decided to settle down for an Associates degree, owing to a financial crunch, but family members and friends insisted that I continue with a bachelors only. Things have gotten slightly better, and I changed my degree to a BALS-Psychology concentration. But yes, you too should keep your enrolment active and push yourself to complete a bachelors. Wish you all the best! Trust in life, believe in yourself, and it will all turn out fine.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(01-14-2019, 05:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just an FYI, the residency waiver is no longer $1800, it's now $2200.  Also, the cornerstone is $300, which you'll need to pay in order to get the degree (AA or BA).

I don't suggest TESU as the place to get an AA, as it's way too expensive unless you are almost guaranteed a promotion/pay raise at work for it.  There are cheaper ways to get it.

Also, the courses you have listed as UL are lower level courses, so I'm wondering if you mixed up UL and LL?

I would look at Pierpont, although I'm not sure if you care that you won't get a transcript - but you'll be able to put it on your resume, and you'll have a diploma as "proof" if you need it.

I would also look at your local CC if it's inexpensive to see if you're close to a general AA there.  It will probably be a lot less, if they don't make you take a bunch of courses for residency requirements.  They will take your state school courses, and probably CLEP as well; Study.com and others will probably be out the window.

Last thing to keep in mind - TESU does not charge per-term fees, so you're better off staying enrolled there than just about anywhere else.  You can reinstate your enrollment (you'd have to call and ask), but it really should be worth your time to do so.

Here's the Pierpont spreadsheet, looks like you're good to go.  I'd still reactivate your TESU enrollment though - take the cornerstone for $300 and you're good for another year.  Yes, it's too much, but it saves you from having to take the new cornerstone after 7/1/19 which is 3cr and $1100.  Hopefully at the end of a years time, you have the money to finish up or at least take the capstone.

Also, there are cheap/free ways to finish up your GE's and Free Electives.  CLEP/Modern States, Sophia courses, ALEKS math, OD, Saylor, etc.

Forgot to mention: I took my first alternative credit back in 2011 (ALEKS Beginning Algebra) and finally graduated in June 2018!  So don't be discouraged, just keep moving forward!

All the courses I have listed as UL were put there by my advisor last I spoke to her. So if that's changed...I'll be more than a little upset  Undecided

I did have my Cornerstone waived previously. If I called them up and reinstated via a TECEP would my Cornerstone still be waived or would I then have to do it? I've been inactive for maybe 2 months (didn't notice until not that long ago, maybe 3 weeks or so, so I'm not 100% sure how long I've been inactive). Would I need to take new courses through Study to get that waiver back too? Trying to gather all my data and get my facts straight before calling them in case I need to instruct them on their own ways Wink

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 

Completed:

(01-15-2019, 07:07 PM)Doodlebabe Wrote: [...]

I did have my Cornerstone waived previously. If I called them up and reinstated via a TECEP would my Cornerstone still be waived or would I then have to do it? I've been inactive for maybe 2 months (didn't notice until not that long ago, maybe 3 weeks or so, so I'm not 100% sure how long I've been inactive). Would I need to take new courses through Study to get that waiver back too? Trying to gather all my data and get my facts straight before calling them in case I need to instruct them on their own ways Wink

The Study.com cornerstone waiver is gone now. They are still honoring it for anyone who had the waiver applied to their account before July 1st, but for anyone who didn't make the cutoff, there is no alternative. If you are sure it was applied before you went inactive, it should theoretically still be listed on your account, but you'll need to verify that with the school. If it was removed or didn't get applied originally, you're probably out of luck.

I mention the bit about not being applied originally since I signed up using the Study.com affiliate link and listed Study.com in my TESU application. Even after transferring in many SDC courses TESU still didn't have me listed as a Study.com corporate choice customer, so I didn't get the discounts or waiver. I didn't find out about this until a few months later when I tried to take a TECEP and was prompted to take the cornerstone. After a phone conversation didn't do the trick, I had to open a ticket with the school before they finally flagged my account properly. I'm glad I caught it before they retired that option.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelor to Masters Data Analytics homeschoolmom1 2 355 01-22-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Degree plans - Second bachelor's degree, ASNSM, and certificates carrythenothing 6 1,607 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Bachelor degree in Computer science fiyajou3 8 936 11-08-2023, 09:43 PM
  TESU Bachelor to Masters Program Plan Cheap and Fast? Sargoththemino 9 924 09-13-2023, 06:52 PM
Last Post: jch
  Foreign (canadian) bachelor's degree does not waive GE requirements? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 12 806 06-11-2023, 11:28 AM
  TESU Bachelor’s Canadian equivalency elenlushk 17 2,744 06-11-2023, 01:41 AM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Two questions regarding to 1. TESU second degree and 2. bachelor to master program lylx1981 5 1,614 05-17-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Henry_Patterson
  Possible to take Graduate Courses while completing a Bachelor's Degree? Ninjadude 6 595 03-16-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How to obtain a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Technology Lorvey 3 718 03-03-2023, 06:42 PM
  Bachelor to Master gams007 5 801 02-23-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Kab