Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDC and EC UL's
Heads up! A bunch of previous UL classes for EC from study.com are now LL...this is pretty sad for me because my degree is in history, and they just dropped all the UL history classes to LL...I was just about to sign up to take my first...
(10-21-2020, 06:03 PM)Chirp Wrote: Heads up! A bunch of previous UL classes for EC from study.com are now LL...this is pretty sad for me because my degree is in history, and they just dropped all the UL history classes to LL...I was just about to sign up to take my first...

Not cool! EC seems to get more and more difficult every year. I feel like they really just want you to pay their overpriced tuition and fees.
Glad you saw that because we were planning on the UL History courses also. Plus, it looks like they also dropped several of SDC UL Psych classes down to LL. Sad
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(10-21-2020, 06:43 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I feel like they really just want you to pay their overpriced tuition and fees.

That's most likely correct. My understanding is that they're struggling financially, and you can't pay the bills with students who enroll, send you a couple of transcripts, and walk away with a degree.

During my enrollment at EC, I saw a steady progression of new student costs; capstone, cornerstone, elimination of transfer credits for ILR and so on. To be fair, though, the situation doesn't seem very different at COSC or TESU.
(10-24-2020, 01:01 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 06:43 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I feel like they really just want you to pay their overpriced tuition and fees.

That's most likely correct.  My understanding is that they're struggling financially, and you can't pay the bills with students who enroll, send you a couple of transcripts, and walk away with a degree.

During my enrollment at EC, I saw a steady progression of new student costs; capstone, cornerstone, elimination of transfer credits for ILR and so on.  To be fair, though, the situation doesn't seem very different at COSC or TESU.

It's not like EC has a campus to pay for. They have an office in an office building in an office park. Granted where their office is located isn't the cheapest place to have an office. You don't just enroll, send transcripts, and get your degree from EC. You are required to take 7 credits at $500+ per credit. EC has become much more restrictive on transfer credits over the last year. I have UL credits from a university that they would only give me LL credit on which is ridiculous. Their website is not very helpful at all. The staff doesn't know what's going on and takes weeks to respond. That was my experience. It wasn't run like a college. I've seen preschools more organized.
(10-21-2020, 06:03 PM)Chirp Wrote: Heads up! A bunch of previous UL classes for EC from study.com are now LL...this is pretty sad for me because my degree is in history, and they just dropped all the UL history classes to LL...I was just about to sign up to take my first...

This is why you need to go Ham on these degrees before they move the goalposts on you.   Really sucks EC is getting more difficult.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-24-2020, 04:10 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-24-2020, 01:01 PM)ctcarl Wrote:

That's most likely correct.  My understanding is that they're struggling financially, and you can't pay the bills with students who enroll, send you a couple of transcripts, and walk away with a degree.

During my enrollment at EC, I saw a steady progression of new student costs; capstone, cornerstone, elimination of transfer credits for ILR and so on.  To be fair, though, the situation doesn't seem very different at COSC or TESU.

It's not like EC has a campus to pay for. They have an office in an office building in an office park. Granted where their office is located isn't the cheapest place to have an office. You don't just enroll, send transcripts, and get your degree from EC. You are required to take 7 credits at $500+ per credit. EC has become much more restrictive on transfer credits over the last year. I have UL credits from a university that they would only give me LL credit on which is ridiculous. Their website is not very helpful at all. The staff doesn't know what's going on and takes weeks to respond. That was my experience. It wasn't run like a college. I've seen preschools more organized.

They are STILL the only ones that accept NA credit, and if you're a person who happens to have these, they may be your best bet.

They are also not restrictive on the number of credits you can take with any single provider, so if you have 110cr from Study.com, they will take them all, unlike TESU.  They'll still take Coopersmith, until COSC.  And they now don't force you to take a concentration in their BALA/BSLA, like COSC does.

All in all, I still recommend them to some people - they can be a great fit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ouch, that hurts, I didn't know that many changes are occurring for the Big 3. Oh well, Excelsior was the one I recommended the most for a decade or a dozen years from 1999 to 2010 or 2011, then for the cost/price - COSC from 2011 to 2015, and now TESU since 2015... I feel more changes are coming to the Big 3, only time will tell if they are for the better or worse. Just get as many courses as you can that will transfer and take what is required only at the school of choice...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I was planning on taking History 307. It's lower level on SDC but ACE has recommended as UL. EC has always followed ACE guidelines ever since I've been enrolled.
Completed:
Pierpont Community & Technical College | BOG A.A.S. | AOE: Communication [Graduated 12/08/23]
111 college credits as of January 2024 [40 credits completed @ 4-yr college; 71 credits from CLEP, Coopersmith, InstantCert, Lawshelf, Sophia, & TEEX]

In progress: 
UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies [Management minor]
Sophia: Human Biology Lab, French I & Business Communication

Follow up! I spoke with EC, and study.com is a bit wrong.  While its true that History 307, 309, and 311B are no longer UL, 306 and 308 are...CURRENTLY.  just work very closely with your advisor! Mine found this out after doing some digging.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chirp's post:
  • Michelle779