Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Associates degree and unrelated Bachelor's? (and Grad school enrollment)
Ideas Wrote:I am sure that if I could only have one Bachelor's, it would be the BSBA (CIS and Marketing). Not psychology. However, yes, I don't want to get denied from Capella. To me that is the only possible downside.

I believe the BA Psychology at COSC requirements would take me less than 3 months to complete since I have the 18 GRE credits. (I'm not including the waiting around). To me it seems like a no-brainer in terms of time and difficulty. The only thing I'm doubting about my plan is the money for this BA at COSC... maybe I should skip it, to have more money for Masters. Except if I'll get denied, or have to take the courses anyway to get admitted.

I'm not sure how to explain my unusual plans, except that I have various permanent disabilities, and it cuts off a lot of traditional employment options to me. Therefore, I feel like I have to cobble together multiple PT jobs and spread out my risk over 2-3 fields. And/or have my own business. I know that some jobs and businesses can be done without a degree (or without one in the field), but I also know the limitations well too. There are about 3 fields I actually enjoy and have some strengths and/or experience in, one of which is business.
If the COSC BA will only take 3 months, why not just go for it now?

If you want mad skillz, working on IT/CIS *certifications* (vs certificates) will add some highly employable credentials on top of the psych degree. Or pursue adjunct skills like your state's mediation credentials, or training in analytics/research methods in the social services, that sort of thing, to complement your psych BA/BS.

I'd also look at your return on investment for the masters. It's a lot of money if you're going to be part-timing it with jobs across a number of fields after you're done. You might consider what you hope to gain - how does it make you competitive? Perhaps a business/leadership/other masters might make you more marketable...but first, have you really explored the market you wish to enter?
SolarKat Wrote:If the COSC BA will only take 3 months, why not just go for it now?

I'm saying 3 months after the BSBA. Because of some additional Gen Eds I haven't done yet. Maybe 5 months if I tried to do it before the BSBA.

The reasons why do the BSBA first are: 1) I'm wanting to stay enrolled a TESU because I want to not have a Business capstone. 2) Out of the two Bachelor's, the business one is more important to me. So I'd like that to be first just in case I run into financial problems and need to take months off between the degrees.

However, yes the original plan was to do the Psych degree first, so that I have "any" Bachelor's as fast as possible. I started a couple threads trying to find out if that's allowed, because I'm open to it. But, I actually think the Psych degree is slower than the BSBA, because of the capstone (and cornerstone).

The other thing is I've decided to slow down my first Bachelor's plans by 3 months anyway. Because of finances and time.

SolarKat Wrote:I'd also look at your return on investment for the masters. It's a lot of money if you're going to be part-timing it with jobs across a number of fields after you're done. You might consider what you hope to gain - how does it make you competitive? Perhaps a business/leadership/other masters might make you more marketable...but first, have you really explored the market you wish to enter?

It's only $4800 or $7200 at Capella if I work really fast, but I get what you're saying. (That's why $3500+ for the COSC Bachelor's seems like so much!)

I agree that I need to have some more definitive plans.

I haven't seen any certifications that seemed worth the money/time and seemed relevant, but I'll really keep them in mind. Actually, that might be ideal for me, if I could find a good enough certification in a Psych-type field.

I am interested in the MBA programs (and they are cheaper than Psych), but felt that my ideal would be MA Psych + BSBA (instead of MBA + BA Psych). I mean, because of the money. (If money was not an issue it would be MBA + MA Psych and I don't care what the Bachelor's is in. Eventually, someday, I think I would achieve this, no matter the path I choose now.)

Ideas Wrote:... my ideal would be MA Psych + BSBA (instead of MBA + BA Psych). I mean, because of the money. (If money was not an issue it would be MBA + MA Psych and I don't care what the Bachelor's is in. Eventually, someday, I think I would achieve this, no matter the path I choose now.)

Definitely, a BA in Psych won't get you much, whereas a MA in Psych will. If you're going to spend your money on a masters and you have an interest in Psychology, this is the way to go.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Definitely, a BA in Psych won't get you much, whereas a MA in Psych will. If you're going to spend your money on a masters and you have an interest in Psychology, this is the way to go.

Yeah, it does seem like too much of a waste to spend on the BA Psych. I don't want to if I can avoid it.

The only reasons are: 1) if it boosts my income. I could have the BA Psych in June 2018 where as the Masters would be more like Sept 2019. 2) if I can't get into the MA program. My GRE score would be a positive, but I feel my letters of recommendation and experience won't be as good as other students'. I would have no GPA for my BSBA.

So again I wonder if there's something cheaper I could get, like an Associates, just to maybe boost my income during that year to year and a half. And/or to help get into the MA program. However, for MA acceptance, I'm guessing I could just do something like volunteer or take a couple courses, which would help more than an Associates. So it's mostly about the possible income boost. Like I mentioned, I don't think I can predict if it would boost my income or not Sad

To explain the end of my last post: I believe the Associates would be pretty cheap and easy, because of my existing community college / Pell Grant plans. I've looked into it, but would have to double check some things with the school. I think it would only "cost" me a month extra of studying and maybe $150. However, I guess it would be just a general AA with a concentration in Psych.

The main problem I see is that by going for the AA, I think I'm ruining my chance of the BA. Because having taken the Psych courses for the AA means that after my BSBA, those courses can't "count" for my second degree. But as mentioned, the BA just doesn't seem worth the cost, so maybe do this AA to have something.

I look at your question and quickly think who cares doesn't matter.....till I see Cappella.....then I think "pass". I have a big bias against the high sales pressure for profits. To be completely honest I tend to harbor thoughts that the holder of such a degree didn't do their homework before jumping in. I am probably in the minority though. Plenty of folks have Walden /UoP/ Kaiser/Cappella on the wall of their office and I suppose it serves them well.

Once you have any bachelors few people are gonna care about your associates.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Capella is an open enrollment school, besides the technical requirements (Master's students must have a bachelor's degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution, your official bachelor’s transcripts, minimum grade point average of 2.3 or higher on a 4.0 scale, and $50 application fee) there is no "getting in" issue. If you qualify, you're admitted.

I also think you left off a zero when you calculated the cost. Capella is one of the more expensive grad programs out there. It's $485 per QUARTER credit. The psych master's programs are 55 to 75 credits, so you're looking at somewhere around $40,000 minimum before the costs associated with license support (which probably involves a doctorate).

If practicing with a license is your goal, I get it- there are limited schools, but if you're going to be an unlicensed provider, there are SOOOO MANY psych master's out there, that I would encourage you to keep an open mind while you finish your undergrad degree(s).
cookderosa Wrote:I also think you left off a zero when you calculated the cost. Capella is one of the more expensive grad programs out there. It's $485 per QUARTER credit. The psych master's programs are 55 to 75 credits, so you're looking at somewhere around $40,000 minimum before the costs associated with license support (which probably involves a doctorate).

I think the OP is planning on going through the Capella FlexPath program for the MS in Psych which is $2400/12-week term. Looks like he/she is hoping to finish the 12 courses in 2-3 terms.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I think the OP is planning on going through the Capella FlexPath program for the MS in Psych which is $2400/12-week term. Looks like he/she is hoping to finish the 12 courses in 2-3 terms.

Yes, two terms if they allow it. One would probably be too difficult, if I had any sort of other life, but I would be willing to try, if that were possible.

I would consider any other schools that were inexpensive. I'm hoping more schools offer a per-term payment option.

cookderosa Wrote:Capella is an open enrollment school, besides the technical requirements (Master's students must have a bachelor's degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution, your official bachelor’s transcripts, minimum grade point average of 2.3 or higher on a 4.0 scale, and $50 application fee) there is no "getting in" issue.

My TESU BSBA would have no GPA. Does that qualify?

I am considering other schools too, because I might get a loan or sell something.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,613 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,457 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment? MissRN 9 861 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP