Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior cryptic answers on UL/Study.com equivlencies
I am trying to get straight answers from Excelsior on what UL equivalent courses would be acceptable for the BS in Liberal Arts and it is quite frustrating.  I am being told my wife would need to enroll before they can really provide academic advising.  Before we are going to spend money to enroll, I think expecting a clear answer on what is and what will not be accepted as UL credit is fair.  Getting a straight answer from them is like pulling teeth. 

I am wondering if someone can please validate the following UL degree requirements for the BS Liberal Studies degree.  

Requirements: 30 Upper Level (UL) credit hours. Breakdown: 21 credits in Arts and Sciences, 9 UL credits in any area. 6 credits must be in Depth 1 and 6 credits in Depth 2.

Here is a sample degree UL plan for my wife.  I posted my other total credits vs. credits needed for ECE in another post. Advice is appreciated.  The red text was confirmation from the Academic Counselor as to what would count/not count as UL academic credit.  To say that the Study.com/Excelsior transfer policy is inconsistent/unclear is an understatement.  I looked at the following link: https://study.com/directory/school/Excel...ransferTab. My counselor contradicted their own policy about what is/is not UL.  

Here are my questions:  

1) For the 21 Arts and Sciences requirement, can anyone recommend a UL alternative for the SOC 305 Sociology of Work , BUS305 Leadership Communication, BUS302 Foundations of Leadership courses?  At a certain point, it is not really worth it battling it out with their enrollment advisors as it would be to just take a UExcel course or DSST exam.  

2) Does anyone have a list of the UL courses that are actually classified as UL by Excelsior? They contradicted their own policy as to what is classified as UL vs. LL. They also claim to go by ACE/NCCRS as an accepted measure for classifying UL/LL, but, clearly follow it arbitrarily on a whim.

Psychology 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology
(Social Science Requirement) 3 cr.- Has transferred as upper level

Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology
(Social Science Requirement) 3 cr.- has transferred as upper level

English 305 Advanced Technical Writing 3 cr - has been transferred in as upper level

History 306 The American Civil War Era 3 cr.- has transfered in as upper level.  If you have taken 106, you will not get credit for 306. 

History 308 Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War 3 cr - has transferred in as upper level

Psych 310 Psychology of Personality 3 cr (Confirm if ECE will accept as UL ACE credit) - has transferred in as upper level

Sociology 305 Sociology of Work (Confirm if ECE will accept as UL ACE credit) - has  not been transferred in previously.  It is recommended as lower level

9 Non A&S UL credits (Depth 2 - Business)
BUS307 Leadership and Organizational Communication - 3 cr - has transferred in as upper level
BUS305 Leadership Communication - 3 cr - has not been transferred in previously. Is recommended as lower level. 
BUS302 Foundations of Leadership - 3 cr - we haven't transferred this course in previously.  it is recommended as lower level

Education Seeker
Have you thought of just switching to COSC? They have a BSLS as well, and I think it's easier to meet the requirements for the concentration. Plus they have their equivalency list showing how things will come in more clearly than EC. And, they're cheaper than EC.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-26-2019, 06:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Have you thought of just switching to COSC?  They have a BSLS as well, and I think it's easier to meet the requirements for the concentration.  Plus they have their equivalency list showing how things will come in more clearly than EC.  And, they're cheaper than EC.

Ddrecore-

I am thinking about recommending it to her. After posting the degree plan which I think I need to do in the general education board and not here, I need to ask what the general costs are.  Considering that so far, it looks like the BA LS at Excelsior is about $4000-4500 and the COSC degree is around $4500, that might be a better option.

I need to do the price breakdown and will do so in a little bit, but, the price breakdown I can see so far is"

COSC - Individualized Studies concentration = $4588
EC BS Liberal Arts = $4,000 - $4,500
TESU BA Liberal Arts = $6136
WGU Business Admin Bachelors = about $3000 every 6 month term

WGU only gave her 108 out of 120 credits in transfer credits.  Realistically knowing her, she is probably going to take at least 1 year so it is about $2k more than the EC or COSC option.  We are self funding and have a son who will be in college next Fall so we are very cost sensitive.

Thanks,

EducationSeeker

COSC only transferred in 35 as opposed to 57 credits at EC, but, if EC going to be a pain in the butt, I think I might recommend COSC as a better option?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 403 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  CPA Reqs and Coopersmith/Study.com Sunnydaze 12 2,073 03-11-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: lonelySamurai
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,584 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,647 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,315 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,074 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,735 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM