Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At the finish line - switching from TESU to EC
Well I've finally reached the finish line. The last class I'll need to take.

I was planning to finish with TESU in BALS. I just finished three Study.com courses to cover the missing GE courses. ENG II and Am Government. Added Information Literacy just for kicks and finished all within 3 days.

So as I started reviewing the requirements for the TESU capstone it kind of stuck me that the BALS Capstone requires a 25 page paper. With my time constraints this was a pretty big commitment to me. I was also preparing for that $2200 residency waiver fee.

It got me thinking again about EC. So I started looking and realized I could finish either the BALA or a BSLA. The Capstone was much more broken up and I could do an 8 or 15 week session. The administrative fee for multi-source credits (aka residency) was about 1/2 that of TESU.

So I've pulled the trigger on the EC BSLA. Sent the remainder of my transcripts over for a new evaluation. At 152 credits and over 60 UL it should be a no brainer now.

Anyone have any experience with EC's updated Liberal Arts capstone? I don't see many posts on it here. The format based on the syllabus seems pretty ok.

EC BSLA, 2019 (in progess)
PMP, 2010

CCAF AAS, 2003
EXAMS: CLEP/DSST - Analysis and Inter of Lit, Management Information Systems, Social Sciences and History, College Math, Humanities, Ethics in America, Intro to Computing, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Supervision, Into to Business
COURSES: EC Capstone, Study.com Eng II, Am Government, Info Lit
LA/IT COURSES: Bellevue Univ (24cr), UMUC(9cr), Catholic Univ (12cr), Washington State Univ (3cr), CCAF (54cr)

Western Governor's University (WGU)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) - Accepted/TBD
ENEB/Universidad Isabel I
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) - 2023
- Master in Management and Team Management - 2023
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies - 2019
Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)
- Associate of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology - 2003

Multiple CLEP, DANTES, Saylor, Straighterline credits.

Professional Certifications
Project Management Professional (PMP)

Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
HelpDesk Institute Support Center Director (HDI-SCD)

[-] The following 1 user Likes spree610's post:
  • radconjohn
Congrats! I am in the same boat here. All I have left is my Lib Arts capstone and would love to hear some feedback from who has taken the capstone lately! I will be taking it this fall after my move.

Thanks
25 page paper?!?! OMG! I'm trying to decide now which to choose as EC is giving me more credits than TESU currently but was debating because of the 30 UL credit vs 15 UL credit. A 25 page paper could be a deal breaker for me. I don't know anything about either capstone but when I hear 25 pages I want to run and hide!! Thank you for mentioning this as it's now something else to take into consideration.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
(06-14-2019, 06:35 PM)spree610 Wrote: Well I've finally reached the finish line. The last class I'll need to take.

I was planning to finish with TESU in BALS. I just finished three Study.com courses to cover the missing GE courses. ENG II and Am Government. Added Information Literacy just for kicks and finished all within 3 days.

So as I started reviewing the requirements for the TESU capstone it kind of stuck me that the BALS Capstone requires a 25 page paper. With my time constraints this was a pretty big commitment to me. I was also preparing for that $2200 residency waiver fee.

It got me thinking again about EC. So I started looking and realized I could finish either the BALA or a BSLA. The Capstone was much more broken up and I could do an 8 or 15 week session. The administrative fee for multi-source credits (aka residency) was about 1/2 that of TESU.

So I've pulled the trigger on the EC BSLA. Sent the remainder of my transcripts over for a new evaluation. At 152 credits and over 60 UL it should be a no brainer now.

Anyone have any experience with EC's updated Liberal Arts capstone? I don't see many posts on it here. The format based on the syllabus seems pretty ok.

PMP, 2010

CCAF AAS, 2003
EXAMS: CLEP/DSST - Analysis and Inter of Lit, Management Information Systems, Social Sciences and History, College Math, Humanities, Ethics in America, Intro to Computing, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Supervision, Into to Business
LA/IT COURSES: Bellevue Univ (24cr), UMUC(9cr), Catholic Univ (12cr), Washington State Univ (3cr), CCAF (54cr)

Wo what's the capstone like for EC?  Are you sure that does NOT require a 25-page paper???

And for some people, the UL requirements is going to be an issue.  I know, because I've been doing some work on figuring out making the switch from TESU to COSC for the BSBA or BALS/BSLS, and that is the issue every time.  They may have all of their GE requirements met, all of their credits in the right places, everything they need...and then will have to take 4-6 UL courses to get those UL credits.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-14-2019, 11:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 06:35 PM)spree610 Wrote: Well I've finally reached the finish line. The last class I'll need to take.

PMP, 2010

CCAF AAS, 2003

Wo what's the capstone like for EC?  Are you sure that does NOT require a 25-page paper???

And for some people, the UL requirements is going to be an issue.  I know, because I've been doing some work on figuring out making the switch from TESU to COSC for the BSBA or BALS/BSLS, and that is the issue every time.  They may have all of their GE requirements met, all of their credits in the right places, everything they need...and then will have to take 4-6 UL courses to get those UL credits.
I did the opposite. I switched from EC to TESU. I attempted the EC BSLA capstone and dropped it. After moving to TESU I enrolled in the BS TechStud and the capstone course was almost identical. The biggest difference being the technical Focus instead of the humanities focus. 

Honest I'd figure which is cheaper and run with it. The 8 week course at EC is a beat down if you're not accustomed to it.

Try not to fear the 25 page thing. Both courses are broken up so you are coached into writing smaller papers and then consolidating it into your big project paper. By the end its a breeze cause you spent all your time building it up over 8to12 weeks and you didn't even know.
[-] The following 2 users Like 22gunsonfire's post:
  • jsd, suzycupcake

PMP, 2010

CCAF AAS, 2003
I am almost about to finish the Lib. 495 Capstone at TESU, and can share my experience. Like you, I too feared the idea of a 25-page Capstone. I am fairly good at writing; I wouldn’t say I am an exceptional writer. But believe me, if you have selected a good Capstone topic, particularly one that you are interested in, and if you are able to review a good number of pertinent sources, you might easily exceed 25 pages. Personally, I think the extent of research (online or on-field) makes all the difference. The more you read/survey/interview and gather data for your project, the more ideas you develop, more connections form in your mind, and you would be able to easily meet the 25-page criterion. Also, like another member has commented here, the whole process is broken up into 5 assignments- and each only need be about 5 pages long. The 6th assignment- the final Capstone project- is basically all about incorporating the professor’s corrections/suggestions in your previous five assignments, and putting them all together to make one complete project. So, it is not as terrifying as you imagine. It is doable. Also, working 2 hours each day feels quite sufficient to produce a good quality paper. You have 2 weeks for each assignment.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 3 users Like Supermind's post:
  • Dreamgrl79, Muldoon, suzycupcake

(06-14-2019, 07:00 PM)radconjohn Wrote: Congrats! I am in the same boat here. All I have left is my Lib Arts capstone and would love to hear some feedback from who has taken the capstone lately! I will be taking it this fall after my move.

Thanks

You could join the School of Undergraduate Studies at Excelsior College Facebook group.  I know not too long ago, there was a student post talking about the Liberal Arts Capstone.  You'll undoubtedly find folks who have completed it recently in there and can provide you some insight.  Link below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/342653363238923/
BSNS - Excelsior College - 2019

AASIO - Cochise College - 2012

[-] The following 1 user Likes TheMaskedMutant's post:
  • suzycupcake
Don't let the page count scare you, once you start on it things get much easier. Just focus on your outline and the research. Once that is done everything should naturally fall into place.

I feel that completing the TESU capstone did a decent job of preparing me for all the writing I'd have to do in a master's program. It also helped me get over my fear of writing. I'm regularly writing 20+ page papers in my MBA program and it doesn't even bother me anymore. In fact, I find that I actually prefer the writing assignments to exams now.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • studiousimp, suzycupcake
I agree. Honestly, you write way more than 25 pages in any English class over the course of the semester.
It's really not that big of a deal.
You only need to turn in like 5 pages every 2 weeks - and then consolidate all 25 at the end.
I too was at first apprehensive about the length but once you do the 1st assignment, you realize it's totally doable.
Well like I said it was that plus the cheaper residency waiver fees. Also, I'm doing the capstone in a 15 week course vs 8 week.

For reference here are the two Syllibi
TESU: https://www2.tesu.edu/syllabus/current/L...B-495.html
EC: https://excelsior.campusconcourse.com/vi...e_id=31826

Western Governor's University (WGU)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) - Accepted/TBD
ENEB/Universidad Isabel I
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) - 2023
- Master in Management and Team Management - 2023
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies - 2019
Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)
- Associate of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology - 2003

Multiple CLEP, DANTES, Saylor, Straighterline credits.

Professional Certifications
Project Management Professional (PMP)

Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
HelpDesk Institute Support Center Director (HDI-SCD)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior College #1 and TESU #4 best Business Administration & Management Degrees Life Long Learning 1 1,294 09-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77