Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athabasca University- Prov gov trying to kill
https://globalnews.ca/news/9040246/athab...alEdmonton

They are an online university in Canada, one of the very few. This is nuts by the government of Alberta
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(08-05-2022, 04:26 PM)cerich67 Wrote: https://globalnews.ca/news/9040246/athab...alEdmonton

They are an online university in Canada, one of the very few. This is nuts by the government of Alberta

From reading the two articles I've gathered that the issue is that, historically, Athabasca employees have been allowed to live at a distance and work from home.  This was never much of a problem until everyone else in the world developed the capacity to do the same, thanks to the pandemic, etc.  But the government doesn't want everyone working from home and have been calling people back into the office.  Reluctant state employees are saying "Why do I have to go to the office if those Athabasca people don't have to go to the office?"  Complaints abound.  Politicians make silly decisions without talking to the school.  Get the popcorn ready.
(08-05-2022, 05:14 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(08-05-2022, 04:26 PM)cerich67 Wrote: https://globalnews.ca/news/9040246/athab...alEdmonton

From reading the two articles I've gathered that the issue is that, historically, Athabasca employees have been allowed to live at a distance and work from home.  This was never much of a problem until everyone else in the world developed the capacity to do the same, thanks to the pandemic, etc.  But the government doesn't want everyone working from home and have been calling people back into the office.  Reluctant state employees are saying "Why do I have to go to the office if those Athabasca people don't have to go to the office?"  Complaints abound.  Politicians make silly decisions without talking to the school.  Get the popcorn ready.

<getting chips instead of popcorn> LOL, yeah, that sounds about right... That person from the province of Alberta is probably on a power trip of some sort. If something isn't broken, don't try to fix it... I would think they can try something else to have Athabasca take in more local employees in all sectors, not just education.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

This is a pattern: look up recent thread on Laurentian University. 

Alberta Premier is Jason Kenney, who used to be a prominent member of Harper federal Cabinet. He is my "favorite" Canadian pol since that time when he decided to "fight fraud" as Immigration Minister and clogged naturalization pipeline with "residency questionnaires" (including my application). Tough on "abusers of Canadian generosity" and those lacking "Canadian values", and at the same time Panderer-In-Chief to ethnic communities ("Minister for Curry in a Hurry"). 

Just like Ontario Premier, Jason Kenney is a Conservative and a college dropout.
(08-08-2022, 09:21 PM)Stanislav Wrote: This is a pattern: look up recent thread on Laurentian University. 

Alberta Premier is Jason Kenney, who used to be a prominent member of Harper federal Cabinet. He is my "favorite" Canadian pol since that time when he decided to "fight fraud" as Immigration Minister and clogged naturalization pipeline with "residency questionnaires" (including my application). Tough on "abusers of Canadian generosity" and those lacking "Canadian values", and at the same time Panderer-In-Chief to ethnic communities ("Minister for Curry in a Hurry"). 

Just like Ontario Premier, Jason Kenney is a Conservative and a college dropout.

Is that why they're so anti-college?
(08-08-2022, 09:30 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 09:21 PM)Stanislav Wrote: This is a pattern: look up recent thread on Laurentian University. 

Is that why they're so anti-college?
I'd say yes. Doug Ford is the Conservative College Dropout Premier here. He said he dropped out of CC because "the lectures were too boring." He's anti- everything that doesn't bring in lots and lots of money. I LOATHE this guy. I live in the Province he rules.

Something else about Doug Ford here. 
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/tor...e12153014/

Athabasca is unique in Canada. All online, RA (Middle States) as well as Canadian - your Athabasca degree is good in Canada and US. No need for credential evaluations. It was sometimes referred to as the "Big 4th" after TESU, EU (yes, Excelsior is now a University) and COSC. I don't think it was - or is a "Big 4th". The max for transfer credit is "50% or more." Not clear how much "more." or under what circumstances. You could end up taking a lot of expensive Athabasca classes. 

Even with its high prices, Athabasca had financial difficulties and managed to avoid bankruptcy in 2015. I imagine the US accreditor might well have been concerned - financial stability requirements are stringent with any RA accreditor. More so than NA. 

Yes, what the Government is doing here - I think - is crazy. And if they're forced to go through with it, it could mean the end of a good resource. I also think the school is far too expensive for US residents. 120 credit fees are $79,000+ that's $667 a credit. Plus all kinds of incidental fees. Even in depreciated Canadian dollars, that's a lot. If the Govt stays firm, I don't know how Athabasca is going to survive this. Don't see why Americans would really want to enrol - lots of other choices. I'm a Canadian - and I'd think it through carefully, even though I get a cheaper deal. Around $350 per credit for Canadians outside Alberta. I can get that at a Uni near me - or anywhere else in Canada. 

The Gov't has Athabasca over a barrel. The U. signs agreement by Sept. or their funding dries up - to zero. Whatever they do - it's not gonna be pretty. If they sign - I think it's the beginning of the end. If they don't - the end comes right away. Lovely choice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johann's post:
  • ss20ts
Athabasca is great if you have some credits from college already for transfer, they have the BGS and it's possible to transfer in 100% of the degree, you just pay the current price of application/graduation fees and voila, you're done with the degree. And as Johann mentioned, they're RA to boot. Dustin from the sister board has a degree from them, not the BGS though and it did cost a pretty penny for that degree, but it did the job to get him into his two Masters, an NA Quantic MBA and a RA Eastern MS Data Science.

There are three other schools in BC that have RA, just like Athabasca. Capilano, SFU, and TRU. Capilano is a small university, their transfer is a max of 50% of the degree, skip them. SFU the same, but if you're going for a graduate degree, these guys are pretty inexpensive for butt-in-seat options. TRU is another "online" degree provider, they only require 15 credits residency, but like most Canadian institutions, it's 45 credits for the major, upper level credit.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Pikachu
(08-09-2022, 10:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Athabasca is great if you have some credits from college already for transfer, they have the BGS and it's possible to transfer in 100% of the degree, you just pay the current price of application/graduation fees and voila, you're done with the degree. 

The BGS is a 3 year degree. 90 credits. That might not suit a lot of Americans. Also, these days,nowhere do they come out and say in black and white it's 100% transfer possible. At least nowhere I could see it. They used to - that was the big feature of this ONE degree. I believe some things have changed in that regard. I know they don't take CLEP etc. so if you have a pile of transfer courses from that or other test-out sources or providers like Sophia, you're probably out of luck. You'll probably get credit for those you took at other RA (or Canadian) schools and maybe a bit of PLA or experiential learning if you complete the meticulous portfolio process AND your credits match one of the 2 BGS streams. As I said - this is not quite a "Big 4th."  Maybe not even close.

I wouldn't doubt you could still complete the process for this ONE DEGREE without Athabasca courses - but you'd probably spend a lot of time and $ at other schools, under the watchful eye of Athabasca - and it would cost plenty. Anybody who's done it in the last few years - I'd love to hear disagreement and stories of how you completed your BGS degree for a reasonable cost.  I'd especially like to know where you took the required courses, if other than Athabasca. Back in the early 90s I heard very encouraging things. It's been a long while... except on the Canadian side. I think a 2-year Canadian CC diploma with high marks would net you something like 45 credits "Time Served." on the BGS provided all the courses matched up (and the Warden liked you.) Smile I think you could get up to 60 credits (2 years Time Served) on a 4-year degree, depending on course requirements.

I don't believe it's a "voila you're done." If not Athabasca, you have to take / have taken the prescribed courses at an approved school. It can't be a hodge-podge. Your credits have to match the requirements. One of 2 streams. I doubt the "usual" 3rd party course-suppliers are going to do you any good here. This is not UMPI. It's not even TESU. (and I'm not saying those aren't good schools - they are. I think they're just way more flexible on amount of transfer credit or how you earn credits.) 

Athabasca was never an "easy" school. Nor was it inexpensive. Expedient? Often. Good? Yeah - always. I have to give 'em that. You have an Athabasca degree? That's something! Congratulations. You earned it. And you paid for it.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johann's post:
  • Pikachu
(08-09-2022, 10:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TRU is another "online" degree provider, they only require 15 credits residency, but like most Canadian institutions, it's 45 credits for the major, upper level credit.

Thompson-Rivers U. is not really cheap for US students. Basic tuition will run about $500+ per credit and there are fees on top.  It's around $15K for a 30-credit year ($5K for Canadians). School has been earning itself a good rep. Founded in 2005.

And cheer up -a bit. Those prices are in Canadian $. :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 230 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,623 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,563 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,942 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 605 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,245 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,618 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 353 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,494 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff