Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decision Time or is it?
Hello,

Im new to instantcert and new to credit by examination. I am in pursuit of a bachelors in Business. At this point i am lost in terms of choosing one of the three schools (excelsior/charter oak/thomas edison). I am not sure if they all accept the full 120 required credits by examination credits? Also, im not sure which one is better financially, flexibility wise, assistance to student from advisors, graduating dates, ceremony dates, etc.

If anyone could ease my troubles and deliberations a little bit with clear outlines of each school, i know this would help me make this important decision quicker and with less pain. Also, am i able to not enroll, continue racking up passes on cleps, dantes etc and then enroll when im nearer graduation date and needing ECE exams etc?? What is more benificial financially?

CHEERS,
JON
Pursuing B.S General Business (Start Date: APRIL 08)

Exams:
Sociology-51
I.S.C.A-51
Management-66
Marketing-56
[SIZE=1]Here's To Your Health-63

Supervision - 67
Intro to Business 63
H.R Management 59
Business Law - 55
M.I.S - 49

FEMA'S
18 credits

Traditional Credits
12 credits

[/SIZE]

**** 60 Down / 60 To GoSmile
Hello, Jon-

I'm enrolled with Thomas Edison and getting my degree in Business (Management). I can transfer as many credits into TE as I need -- but I'm not able to test out of all of them. (Because there aren't CLEP/DSST tests in every subject). You can see the tests etc. that I used to fulfill my degree requirements (I also need to take TE's Business in Society, Business Policy; pre-calculus, money and banking, finance, and statistics) on my signature.

Take a look at this thread for info on prices: http://www.instantcertonline.com/forums/...estion.htm

I would get most of the "easier" tests out of the way before enrolling in a college. There's no sense in paying tuition to a college if all they're going to do is hold your transferred credits. (I already had my degree plan mapped out for me - so - I didn't need the college until later on)

This probably wasn't very helpful - but- hopefully it helped shed a little light!
Christina
Hi, Jon!

Welcome to IC and the testing-out bug. All three of the schools allow you to transfer in 100% of required credits for a degree, but what those requirements look like vary by school. I think I'd look at the catalog requirements for the General Business major at each school and choose the one that either most closely aligns with future plans or can be completed in the shortest amount of time, depending on your goals and plans for the immediate future.

I'd also start planning on not having much of a social life for the next little while. If you can get the important people in your life on board, early, it helps tremendously in staying the course when the waters get rough. And they will, unless you're uncannily lucky.

You can continue to test without enrolling at any school. The upside is that you potentially only have to pay an application, enrollment, and graduation fee. The downside is that program requirements can and do change. Some students have chosen to apply after a certain number of credits but not enroll until they are very near program completion. This strategy allows you theoretical access to an advisor without the cost of enrollment and possible annual continuation fees. The downside is that you aren't protected from program change (although, anecdotally, enrollment appears not to offer that protection at EC as reported here.)

A quick comparison of the Big Three, as I understand their differences. Which school is the best for you depends on which program meets your needs and how you plan to earn your degree. Someone who plans to take a lot of in-house credits is probably better served by one of the Comprehensive plans. Someone who plans to test out of everything likely is not.

Customer Service
COSC - good reputation here
EC - great advisor response; transcript updates can take 1 to 8 weeks
TESC - slow service is a common complaint

Degree Requirements
COSC - individually defined (w/advisor)
EC - Information Literacy + 12 UL Business electives + 107 other credits
TESC - no UL credits required (?)

Alternative Forms of Credit
COSC - GRE Subject test (up to 18 credits); FEMA if transcribed elsewhere
EC - GRE Subject test (up to 30 credits); FEMA if transcribed elsewhere
TEST - FEMA (no additional charge); great portfolio program

Graduation
COSC - ceremony each June; conferrals: January, March, May, July, September, November
EC - ceremony each July; conferrals monthly
TESC - ceremony each October; conferrals: March, June, September, December

Cost
Application fee:
COSC - 75
EC - 75
TESC - 75

Enrollment fee:
COSC - 1300 non-resident / 985 CT resident
EC - 895
TESC - 2300 non-resident / 1275 NJ resident

Tuition (per semester hour):
COSC - 235 non-resident / 165 CT resident
EC - 290
TESC - 165 non-resident / 125 NJ resident / 315 unenrolled

Comprehensive plan:
COSC - 3760 non-resident / 2720 CT resident (includes courses up to 12 credits + enrollment fee)
EC - N/A
TESC - 6150 non-resident / 4300 NJ resident (includes courses up to 36 credits + enrollment fee)

Annual fee:
COSC - 660 non-resident / 450 CT resident (discount if renewing within 3 months of graduation)
EC - 440
TESC - 200 within 3 months of graduation, otherwise, discounted enrollment or comprehensive plan

Graduation fee:
COSC - 185
EC - 495
TESC - 225
BS Literature in English cum laude, Excelsior College
currently pursuing K-8 MAT, University of Alaska Southeast (42/51).

IC works! Credits by exam to date: 63

CLEP: A&I Lit (72), Am Gov (69), Biology (58), Intro to Ed Psych (73), Intro Psych (77), Intro Soc (72), US History I (69)
DSST: Astronomy (65), Civil War (63), Intro Computing (463), Environment & Humanity (70), Foundations of Ed (68), USSR (54)
GRE: Literature in English (60th percentile / 18 cr)

On Deck: classroom research & instructional design
jonoshamrock Wrote:If anyone could ease my troubles and deliberations a little bit with clear outlines of each school, i know this would help me make this important decision quicker and with less pain. CHEERS,
JON

Here's a link to a page on a site that includes a chart comparing some of the characteristics of each of the Big Three. Cinderly's info is more current than this site (for example, Excelsior IS a Title IV school now) but there may be some other areas discussed here that would be of interest to you. Good luck!

Bachelor's Degree in 6 Months Roadmap - Introduction
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
Thank you to all, especially Cinderly.
Prior to taking my first Clep, my roadmay to B.S Business was layed out by BAin4weeks.com. Im sure this only applies to Excelsior, or would it work in all of the schools? Obviously exchanging the ECE exams for other in-house exams?
Pursuing B.S General Business (Start Date: APRIL 08)

Exams:
Sociology-51
I.S.C.A-51
Management-66
Marketing-56
[SIZE=1]Here's To Your Health-63

Supervision - 67
Intro to Business 63
H.R Management 59
Business Law - 55
M.I.S - 49

FEMA'S
18 credits

Traditional Credits
12 credits

[/SIZE]

**** 60 Down / 60 To GoSmile
jonoshamrock Wrote:Thank you to all, especially Cinderly.
Prior to taking my first Clep, my roadmay to B.S Business was layed out by BAin4weeks.com. Im sure this only applies to Excelsior, or would it work in all of the schools? Obviously exchanging the ECE exams for other in-house exams?

Double check your plan if you got it straight form BAin4weeks because that was done with information from a few years ago and all the tests don't exist (ie. Accounting for 6 credits) and there are new requirements at the schools that didn't exist like Info Lit and WER at EC. You might have to make some adjustments or take classes. Just a heads up.
[SIZE=2]Goal: Excelsior BSGB 61 of 121 credits earned to date
I'm halfway there! (Whoa oh, living on a prayer)
21 transfered credits
6 more from AP English (4)
EC: Info Lit (P in 2 hours)
Clep: Educational Psych (69) Management (70) American Gov (53) A&I Lit (74) Algebra (52) Marketing (72)
DSST: Intro Comp (68) MIS (67) Here's Health (66) Supervision (60)

[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BSBA Degree Plan --- less time & money Bach2Mast 8 3,220 07-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Bach2Mast
  TESU - How do you apply for the two degree at the same time?? allvia 3 1,354 06-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Should living in New Jersey affect my decision between COSC and TESU? SAmendola 4 1,532 04-09-2018, 10:53 PM
Last Post: rlw74
Question Which TECEP exam to take with very little time to study? ELSADDIQ 6 2,428 04-03-2018, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Sparklette
  TESU BUS-210 Quantitative Methods for Decision Makers ysmuri 0 969 02-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: ysmuri
  Any point to an AA at the same time as a BA? KAnn 11 2,246 02-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Last Post: triforce828
  Can you graduate with an AA and BA from TESU at the same time? kevinmane 8 1,752 01-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  Time to think about getting those TESU applications in davewill 6 1,572 01-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TECEP scoring time? a2jc4life 11 2,987 12-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  What happens if you exceed the maximum credits allowed at one time at TESU? csyzarc 6 1,895 11-27-2017, 09:38 PM
Last Post: cookderosa