Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attention Excelsior College Alumni
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Hello Excelsior College Alumni & Current Students working towards their degrees.

First, let me say how very pleased and proud I am on becoming an alumni of Excelsior College and hope that you are too!

Ever since starting/finishing my degree with Excelsior I have found myself trying to associate myself with what the school stands for and is identified with. Of course as we all know Excelsior means “ever upward” and is also to motto for New York State, but we lack, in general, a real sense of identity.

For example, most "brick and mortar” schools have some kind of sports teams such as the LSU Tigers, UF Gators, Miami Hurricanes and such. Even the University of Alaska - Fairbanks, who have very little in the ways of sports teams have the Nanooks as an identity.

But what about Excelsior College, what do we have?

I realize we have no collective sports teams or a brick and mortar campus, but we don’t even have a real unifying identity or iconic/symbolic source of school pride except for the school logo itself. However, it is that logo – the EC Globe that may in fact be one of the best sources of unifying identity of all – it’s seen on everything but lacks an identity and better yet a real name.

Of course one of the first names that came to my mind was “Globe-Trotter” but that name of course has already been taken. I then modified to “Globe-Trekkers” but that just didn’t sound right, a bit too corny. In fact any prefix or suffix to Globe just doesn’t sound or feel right but the addition of just one letter seemed to do the trick.

How about the Excelsior College – Globes!

It ties right in with the current logo itself, doesn’t sound too self-absorbed or pretentious insofar as we don’t have any sports teams but we do have thousands of alumni or should I say – “Globes” who have graduated before us. I say we give them a real source of identity, a symbol and name to reflect their school pride.

Of course, this topic may have already been addressed but I willing and hoping that perhaps my suggestion might very well spawn any new names suggestions that will give ALL Excelsior College students and alumni a symbol and name to be proud of.

What do you think?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="7"]“Go EC Globes!”[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I'm with Excelsior and I'm all for your suggestion. I love that globe picture.Big Grin
rome
Got-
CLEP: 24 credits
dsst: 18 credits Cool
NYU: 12 credits
Excelsior's portfolio course: 3 credits
INL 102: 1 credit Cool
ECE college writing: 3 creditsBig Grin

AS on the way!!!!hilarious
As Excelsior grads, I was thinking we could call ourselves something like....

"The Fighting Exes"

..But then who would get custody of the kids?

hilarious
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Yes, I think "globes" would be great! Anyone want to start a petition? Just because we are not the traditional B&M school doesn't mean we should be denied the other facets that go along with it. One thing I was thinking of, was to allow for student athletics as individuals. Granted we wouldn't be collectively competitive against other colleges but we can be student athletes representing our school. Take for example, running. Why couldn't one run a marathon or other race under the Excelsior colors? There are a slew of individual sports that one could use to represent EC. This would allow the students the abilty to enhance their college experience and be recognized as a college athlete. Additionally this translates into FREE advertising for Excelsior and gives them "something else" to offer to prospective students. I'm thinking this is either crazy or brilliant. What's your opinion?
Runner4064 Wrote:Yes, I think "globes" would be great! Anyone want to start a petition? Just because we are not the traditional B&M school doesn't mean we should be denied the other facets that go along with it. One thing I was thinking of, was to allow for student athletics as individuals. Granted we wouldn't be collectively competitive against other colleges but we can be student athletes representing our school. Take for example, running. Why couldn't one run a marathon or other race under the Excelsior colors? There are a slew of individual sports that one could use to represent EC. This would allow the students the abilty to enhance their college experience and be recognized as a college athlete. Additionally this translates into FREE advertising for Excelsior and gives them "something else" to offer to prospective students. I'm thinking this is either crazy or brilliant. What's your opinion?

How fun. This would give me a great excuse to sign up for yet another race. Can't run the Green Bay half marathon in Excelsior colors- (I promised two of my running friends that we'd wear Chicago Bears outfits as we finish on Lambeau field)....but my next one...I'm all for it.
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
cinderly Wrote:That's the University of Alaska Fairbanks, Mister!

[COLOR="Navy"]Thank you - Sister!

I took a few courses from UAF.[/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
Runner4064 Wrote:Yes, I think "globes" would be great! Anyone want to start a petition?

[SIZE="3"]Thanks for resurrecting this old thread, perhaps a petition or letter writing campaign would do the trick; any other [SIZE="5"]GLOBES[/SIZE] interested?[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]IC-POST 2374[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA

SO last night I got to thinkin'- and put pen to paper. I'm going to write to Excelsior and suggest this idea. Since they are a business I need to frame it to them in a manner that "will benefit them."
Basically... It benefits EC because A. it gives them free positive advertising.
B. Gives them an edge on recruiting (over other distance schools.) C. Helps to pair EC with traditional schools (in terms of perception.) Etc, etc.

In reality it benefits EVERYONE. It gives those who are athletically inclined the chance to absorb more of the college experience. We (those of us in Distance edu) don't do this because of limited options we do this to INCREASE options.

We are a fraternal organization of hard-chargers built upon the pillars of motivation, dedication, drive, and perseverance. Why not showcase it in other arena's?

To close with the letter I'll soon send them: I said this (true) "I was recently featured on the cover of a national magazine during a marathon wearing a white shirt. Too bad it wasn't an Excelsior shirt- it would have been free national advertising." I closed with Brian's idea of the Globes. It's absolutely perfect!
I'm going to start a thread on this topic. In a few days I'm going to copy the supportive replies and enclose them with my letter.
-Here's to collegiate athletics- Go Globes!Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,452 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,741 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Malcolm Nance: Excelsior BA to Cable News Star to Fighting for Ukraine Jonathan Whatley 9 875 05-01-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 697 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,079 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az