Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Average Grade vs. Calculated Grade
Okay, I'm puzzled. I just got my grades back on one of the discussion posting assignments for my TESC course. My "average grade" for the assignment was 99.47 and the "calculated grade" for that assignment was 100.

Whatzat mean? Smile

I might think the "average grade" was the average of the grades given for each of the posts I made, but in that case, why is the "calculated grade" higher than the average?

To date, all of my assignments have gotten me a score of 100, so it's not even the average of all the assignments put together.

I'se so confoozed. Again. :confused: :confused:
The average score is the class average on that particular assignment and the calculated grade is your grade.Smile
[SIZE="2"]TECEP's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]English Composition 102[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Technical Writing[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Psychology of Women[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Word Processing Fundamentals[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Computer Information Systems[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]CLEP's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 60[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Management - 71[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Marketing - 67[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Macroeconomics - 54 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Microeconomics - 57 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Business Law- 65 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]DSST's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Supervision - 59[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Business - 63[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Financial Accounting- 54[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]FEMA Credits earned: 15[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]ALEKS Intro to Stats completed 3/10/09 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]ASBA - TESC - 3/6/09
BSBA - general management in progress
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Working on: PF Business and Technical Writing[/SIZE]
Then how come the "Average Grade" for the next assignment is already listed at 100 but my particular submission for that assignment hasn't been graded yet? How can they come up with an average without having averaged all the grades? :confused:
studyhard Wrote:Then how come the "Average Grade" for the next assignment is already listed at 100 but my particular submission for that assignment hasn't been graded yet? How can they come up with an average without having averaged all the grades? :confused:
>>

Ok- this had me too at first!! Like you, I had to ask on a message board. It doesn't seem that I could EVER find the "whats what" listed on the TESC sites, not sure why!?!? :confused:

For each assignment, you get one grade. That is the calculated grade. That grade is yours and yours alone, which will be weighted according to the syllabus which will show as a % (a discussion grade might be 2% for example).
Completely as an FYI, there is a column called "average grade" which shows the running tally of the papers your mentor has graded. If you were the first and only score - the score will be the same (100 and 100) but as soon as he starts grading other work the average adjusts. In your case, your assignment hasn't been graded yet, but you can tell he is in the process of grading BECAUSE there is an average showing- in other words, he has graded at least one of your class mate's papers. It's common, for example, to get a 100 on a discussion- so often you will see 100s as the averages for discussions. Written work is usually more interesting to look at Cool since most mentors don't give everyone 100s on those. You have no way of knowing how many papers he has graded- could be 2, could be 10, only the average. The average is fun to look at- but doesn't play any part in your final grade- so you just want to use your actual calculated scores to see how you are doing.

Hope that helps!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,459 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  How is GPA calculated at TESU? TryhardTim 5 1,883 08-16-2018, 01:10 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Do CSU Global CBE's show a letter grade on COSC transcript? ITS320EX Basic Programmin mudball 1 1,344 04-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Need a SL grade walternc3 12 1,590 04-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Last Post: High_Order1
  Grade point average at TESU rlw74 9 1,271 02-04-2017, 06:48 AM
Last Post: walternc3
  Is A grade achievable at Thomas Edison with lab phy/bio/chem with lab courses ? analyst123 7 1,337 06-24-2016, 08:08 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  [TESU] New Cornerstone info -- CR/NC only, no grade/GPA assigned jsd 6 1,301 06-01-2016, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do StraighterLine Courses Get A Letter Grade When Transfered to TESU? 11302 1 897 03-27-2016, 02:12 PM
Last Post: adavis84
  I forgot I had gotten a D in a class. Does taking it at TESC replace grade? ricky2k2 3 608 01-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Last Post: ricky2k2
  credit by exam to letter grade conversion at Excelsior clep3705 2 702 04-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr