Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B.O.G Complications, Advice?
Degreeforum I need your help yet again. I am having Pierpont BOG A.A.S complications.

I have completed my CompTIA certs and my SL classes. I have transferred them along with my other brick and mortar college transcripts. I was under the impression that I needed two science and or math classes. Which I recently completed.

I sent Mrs.Parks an e-mail yesterday asking if there was anything I missed that I need to complete to graduate in August. I assumed she would say everything was fine.

Well, that's not the case. according to her, I have a 1.88 GPA with the academic forgiveness and I need a 2.0 for the degree. I also need another communication course because my English II has a D grade.

What this boils down to, is that I need to pay $1338 for one of their English classes and I have to maintain an A overall to bump my GPA from 1.88 to 2.0, I have about 10 days to decide if I want to do this. Which I don't.

My SL classes don’t count for my GPA because they are not graded according to ACE. My transfers from CompTIA are also not graded.

I’m beyond angry with this situation. I was never told I needed this extra class, let alone I would have to take it the traditional way.

Is there any way I can take an English or Comm class and get a grade on it, then transfer it in?  I'm going to assume the answer is a no.
$1338 seems like a huge waste of money for one class and it's not even an upper-level course.

Any suggestions welcome.

WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
(06-13-2018, 05:02 PM)Life_One Wrote: Is there any way I can take an English or Comm class and get a grade on it, then transfer it in?  I'm going to assume the answer is a no.

This seems more of a question for Ms. Parks, and not us.

But I would assume you COULD take it elsewhere at a cheaper RA school and have it transferred in. It sounds like they're having your poor grades from elsewhere count against you, so it would only make sense to have good grades from elsewhere count for you.

But doing this within 10 days is basically out of the question, since you'd need to do it from a RA school and not an ACE/NCCRS provider.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Life_One
Those are valid points. Maybe I'll e-mail her later.

It's like I'm stuck in a giant feedback loop. The only RA school, in my county, isn't much cheaper. I also cannot graduate from that school because of my GPA. Pro tip, Never load up on credits and have a family emergency. The college will not give a shit and give you all F's for the semester instead of W's. Which is where I have been stuck for the last 4 years.

The B.O.G is/was my chance at starting over at a low cost and giving me a chance to make some good grades and get myself back on track. Now I'm back to more of the same garbage.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
Sophia.

Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
Hey, at least you have a valid excuse for the Fs/Ds on your transcript.

My excuse is that I was a bored teenager and stopped showing up.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

• Life_One
I'm sure a local community college would be cheaper. You might even find an accelerated, online course, but that would be 5 to 8 weeks not 10 days. BTW, don't get too angry, I don't think any school would accept a D in one of the required English courses. TESU certainly doesn't.

Edit: I just saw your local school isn't an option. Maybe New Mexico Junior College, then. Unfortunately, their Summer session is already well under way. You'd have to wait for Fall.

Getting the English course is one thing, you also have make sure that you raise that GPA high enough. How many credits are there in that 1.88 GPA? Will an "A" in a single 3 credit course raise it enough? Will Pierpont drop out the "D" if you get a "A"?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Life_One
Excelsior's UExcel English Composition exam may be an option. UExcels receive a letter grade and ENG Comp cost $470
CLEP
Natural Sciences -Social Sciences -US History I -Intro Psychology -Human Growth and Development -Humanities -A&I Lit -College Math
DSST
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Ethics in America -Business Ethics and Society -Technical Writing -Substance Abuse
ECE
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Labor Relations -Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -Abnormal Psychology -Social Psychology -Foundations of Gerontology-Research Methods in Psychology-Contemporary Mathematics
Kaplan
Prior Learning Assessment
[-] The following 2 users Like alram's post:
  • jsd, Life_One
Good call! Can those be registered for, completed, and transcript sent out within 10 days?

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

• Life_One
Bad call. Scores may take 45 days to be returned.
CLEP
Natural Sciences -Social Sciences -US History I -Intro Psychology -Human Growth and Development -Humanities -A&I Lit -College Math
DSST
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Ethics in America -Business Ethics and Society -Technical Writing -Substance Abuse
ECE
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Labor Relations -Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -Abnormal Psychology -Social Psychology -Foundations of Gerontology-Research Methods in Psychology-Contemporary Mathematics
Kaplan
Prior Learning Assessment
[-] The following 1 user Likes alram's post:
  • Life_One
bummer.   

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

• Life_One
Thank you guys for the options. 10 days would be ideal, but as long as I can get it done before August that should work. I know that's a big difference but any option is better than the $1338 even if I have to wait until after August.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
Sophia.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,591 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,211 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,045 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,009 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 705 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 971 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 5,744 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha
Star TESU or WGU? Advice needed, Ground 0, want to be as realistic as possible! OP88 15 4,164 05-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: OP88
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,266 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007