Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BA/BS Psychology - TESU or EU or other?
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've been here. Life has changed tremendously since last time I was here, and I'm finally ready to finish my bachelor's degree. 
I've been researching quite a lot the last few weeks, so I know a lot already, but I still want to make sure I'm not missing something and I narrow my choices.

I'm going for a degree in psychology. I know COSC, TESU and EU have degree's in psychology, but dI miss one? 

What am I looking for? 
  • BA/BS in Psychology
    It's important for me for the major to be Psychology, and not Liberal Arts with a concentration in psychology. So please don't suggest something else.
  • Completely online
  • Transfer friendly
    at least 90 credits from ACE/NCCRS have to be able to transfer in - but the more the merrier!
  • Not too expensive
Thank you for your suggestions!

Love,
Linda
Goal: BA/BS in Psychology

Credit Sources
Straighterline
Aleks
Study.com
Kaplan
Definitely not COSC. They're not viable anymore. Too expensive, not very ACE/NCCRS transfer-friendly. I haven't gone through and checked, but with the removal of UExcel exams you'd probably only be able to easily transfer 30-45 credits with COSC. More than that is unlikely unless you take potentially expensive classes at a different college or university.

Excelsior allows all classes (except the required 7 EU credits) to come from ACE/NCCRS sources. However, they've been kind of finicky about English Comp lately. If you already have English Comp credits, they might or might not be accepted at EU. It's also unclear if Sophia's English Comp II will be accepted for a BS Psych. While not officially listed as a possibility, it's been reported that English Comp II from Sophia DOES work for a BALS but DOES NOT work for a Business degree. It should work for Psych, but no promises. Also, EU requires 30 UL credits. Using Coopersmith, this isn't too difficult. But it is something to keep in mind.

TESU only allows up to 90 ACE/NCCRS credits per degree. You can transfer in inexpensive RA credits to make up the defecit and/or take TECEPs. It's cheapest if you do a flat-rate 16-credit term to avoid the residency waiver fee, but you can pay the waiver and take only the required capstone/cornerstone classes if you want to do that. TESU only requires 18 UL credits, 3 of which come from the capstone. This makes it an "easier" degree to put together, at least for some students. We have detailed plans here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

SNHU has a Psych degree. You can see the plan here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan I don't know a lot about SNHU except a.) they do allow you to transfer in up to 90 ACE/NCCRS credits and b.) you must take the final 30 credits with them. This is a slower and slightly more expensive degree than either TESU or EU, but some students might find it to be worthwhile.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
@l8989v, Hi, since you currently have ACE credits only, your best bet is Excelsior as they take NCCRS credits as well. However, I would add TESU to that list also and see which one would be better for you after you've completed a spreadsheet to compare the requirements and what courses you currently have done towards each of their degrees.

If you can transfer in all the courses you currently have to both, you need to decide where to get the Upper Level requirements and the 30 RA credits if you decide on TESU. Your homework should be to post your degree plan spreadsheet for both and we can comment on the remaining courses for each. Have you looked at the TESU BA Psych WIKI?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
My vote is TESU, as I think it's an easier degree to complete. But EU is cheaper, so that's a fine option as well. For their Psych degree, you can still use English Comp II - there are only a couple of degrees right now that require something else (Business is one).

Also, for EU, keep in mind that you need to complete your courses and send everything in once - they only do a free eval once. After that, it will cost you $300 each time you want an eval of credits. So, with that in mind, you want EVERY SINGLE CREDIT to be evaluated the first free time. This means using courses we KNOW will work, and taking a minimum of 113cr (I'd probably take a couple of extra cheap courses, just in case).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • studyingfortests
Idk much about the others but my vote is for TESU. For one big reason is the ability to get as many evaluations as you need. You can enroll in a tecep which gives you an enrollment date while you work on your alternative credit source courses. This could be significant if you’re starting almost from scratch. Plus it locks in the current catalog. Like I said I don’t know much about the others but it just seems like TESU (while not perfect, or the cheapest ) has made it pretty simple to follow a plan.
If you don't care about BS vs BA, and you feel that both schools would give you similar transfer credits, I would recommend TESU over EU. But If you have a lot of credits especially UL already and don't want to take any more courses other than capstone or cornerstone from those schools (TESU requires 16 credits to avoid a $3000 residence fee), choose EU. (I chose EU because almost all of my previous credits matched the EU's degree requirements ). I actually did my BS in Psychology at EU and am now pursuing my BA in CS at TESU. In my experience, I've found that TESU's courses are easier and more relaxed than EU. Also, EU's capstone requires group work, which was a nightmare for me. However, if you don't plan to take many classes at either school, it may not make a difference, they're similar.
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed
TESU BA Computer Science & ASNSM Mathematics
Conferred: 09/2023
Excelsior University BS Psychology 
Conferred: 02/2023

[-] The following 1 user Likes frankc's post:
  • allvia
(04-20-2023, 03:02 PM)frankc Wrote: If you don't care about BS vs BA, and you feel that both schools would give you similar transfer credits, I would recommend TESU over EU. But If you have a lot of credits especially UL already and don't want to take any more courses other than capstone or cornerstone from those schools (TESU requires 16 credits to avoid a $3000 residence fee), choose EU. (I chose EU because almost all of my previous credits matched the EU's degree requirements ). I actually did my BS in Psychology at EU and am now pursuing my BA in CS at TESU. In my experience, I've found that TESU's courses are easier and more relaxed than EU. Also, EU's capstone requires group work, which was a nightmare for me. However, if you don't plan to take many classes at either school, it may not make a difference, they're similar.
Good advice. Great to know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 205 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 188 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 472 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,070 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 385 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 440 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 453 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 1,016 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 780 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 225 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP