Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA Social Science degree plan
Hello! I am hoping to share my degree plan for a Thomas Edison BA Social Science

English 101-already done
English 102- already done
College Math Clep (for college level math requirement-not done)
Intellectual/practical - public relations (already done)
Intellectual/practical- technical writing (already done)
Humanities- Art History (already done)
Social Science- Criminal Justice (already done)
Natural Science- Biology (already done)
Humanities/social science/natural science (9 credits)
1. Physics (already done)
2. Intro to philosophy (already done)
3. Criminal Law (already done)
Diversity/global- intro to sociology (already done)
Ethics- ECE Bioethics (not done yet)
Ethics/Diversity- women, men, social change (already done)
General Education (18 credits)
1. Constitutional law (already done)
2. Women in drama (already done)
3. The Holocaust (already done)
4. 3 credita left over from clep Math (not done yet)
5. Statistics (already done)
6. Clep analyzing and interpreting literature (not done yet)

For the major requirements: 30 credits 18 upper
1. Intro to psychology (already done)
2. Community college abnormal psychology (dont know if that would transfer as upper or lower-already done)
3. Community college social psychology (dont know if it will transfer as upper or lower - already done)
*4. ECE Organizational Behavior (dont have yet..upper)
*5. ECE Adulthood and Aging- (dont have yet...upper)
*6. ECE Research Methods -(dont have yet..upper)
7. TECEP Political Science (dont have yet..100 level)
8. Saylor Political Science (dont have yet...200 level)
*9. ECE World conflicts (dont have yet....upper)
*10. ECE Cultural Diversity (dont have yet...upper)

Liberal arts capstone (dont have yet...upper)

Free electives 27
1. I have 15 Femas (already have)
2. Tecep psychology of women (dont have yet)
3. Tecep News reporting (dont have yet)
4. Tecep Marriage and family (dont have yet)
*5. Tecep Operations management (dont have yet...upper)
*6. Tecep Marketing communications (dont have yet..upper)
*7. Tecep Business in Society (dont have yet...upper)
*8. Tecep Strategic Management (dont have yet...upper)
9. Community Health (already have)

If anyone has any suggestions on making it lesa that would be great. All together its 13 exams. I also chose 8 teceps because I would like to enroll in the per credit option and I would have to take 24 credits in Teceps.

I also think after I fulfill these requirements I will take the 5 courses needed for a BA on English to get two consecutive BAs.
[COLOR="Magenta"]65 B&M credits so far Smile
ACE Credits-
Sophia Conflict Resolution
Kaplan PLA course
FEMA - PDS Certificate (2011)

BA hopeful :hurray:

Eventually-
Masters degree
Valdosa DPA [/COLOR]
On upper level credit, see the current thread "TESC Is No Longer Accepting Community College Credits As Upper Level?? (Need Advice)", especially starting at page 2 where kurlovich receives an email from TESC that effective January 2013, "community college courses do not transfer in as upper level credit." However, including the LA capstone, if I'm not mistaken you have the minimum 18 sh UL within the area of study, and at least 12 sh in one of subject, and no more than 18 sh, toward the 33 sh area in Social Sciences, in one soc. sci. subject.

lawqueen04 Wrote:I also think after I fulfill these requirements I will take the 5 courses needed for a BA on English to get two consecutive BAs.

This wouldn't work as described (unless these were mostly or all oversized courses greater than 3 sh). See TESC's policy on Award of Degrees:

TESC Wrote:Second Bachelor’s Degree

Students who have received one bachelor’s degree at Thomas Edison State College or another regionally accredited institution and wish to earn a second bachelor’s degree must:

• Complete a minimum of 24 additional credits in the area of study/core for a second bachelor’s degree beyond the date the most recent degree was completed
• Students must complete all requirements for the degree as listed in the current Thomas Edison State College Catalog.

The College will not award a third associate or bachelor’s degree.

So there's a sort of reset button that starts on completion of your first degree, and earning a second degree at the same level (or an associate's after a bachelors) will require a substantial amount of credit to be earned in the subject of the second degree and after that reset. There are similar policies at Excelsior, Charter Oak, and most, perhaps all traditional schools.

But! You might want to look at this from the same Award of Degrees page:

TESC Wrote:Two Areas of Study Within One Degree

Students may complete up to two areas of study within one bachelor’s degree. No more than 9 credits that are used in the first area of study may be used for the second area of study. All related required credits for each area of study, as well as all degree requirements, must be met at the same time. Students cannot complete a third area of study within one bachelor’s degree.

This is the equivalent of a "double major." You might consider pursuing dual areas of study in Social Sciences and English – or in Social Sciences and Humanities which can include English – within one B.A. degree.

Edited to add: Oh, you're looking to apply to medical school in the future! Of course for med school admission in the U.S. you'll need core science prerequisites of at least two semester course equivalents with lab, usually 8 sh, in general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, and physics. Some medical schools require or expect that these be done on the ground B&M.

You already have some physics and biology (though I don't know whether those are in qualifying premedical courses). You might consider making general and perhaps organic chemistry, and any additional biology and physics if you need them, part of those free electives. You might also consider science electives especially in and around human biology: anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, etc.
Thank you for your advice!I just may look into the two areas of study vs. two degrees. Id already have 9 english credits I could use which is the max anyway.

Yes I am interested in medical school. My plan is to enroll in a SMP they call special masters program to fulfill my pre-reqs or get a pre-med science certificate or attend Columbia University MS Bioethics while obtaining my sciences certificate (very $$$ but its my dream lol) I did not want to mix sciences with my distance ed degree besides those two.

Thank you for that advice Smile
ACE Credits-
Kaplan PLA course

Eventually-
Masters degree
Valdosa DPA [/COLOR]
I just made a plan for a BA English if I complete all those requirements for the social science degree then I could wait until after I get my social science degree to then start with the english

Survey of literature I &II Clep America Lit
Analyzing and Interpreting Lit Clep analyzing n interpreting
Non western Lit ???
Capstone- would already have
18 elective credits
1. 3 left over clep analysing lit credits
2. Women in drama class -already have
3. BYU Upper level english class
4. BYU Upper level English class
5. BYU Upper level English class
6. BYU Upper level English class

I think this could work
ACE Credits-
Kaplan PLA course

Eventually-
Masters degree
Valdosa DPA [/COLOR]
Why did you choose so many Uexcel ECEPs?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I needed the Excelsior Exams to fulfill the rest of the social science upper level requirements. The TECEPs I also needed for the per credit enrollment option. I looked into DSST exams also for upper level but I believe excelsior exams have a larger upper level variety.
ACE Credits-
Kaplan PLA course

Eventually-
Masters degree
Valdosa DPA [/COLOR]
Sanantone's BA in Social Science - Degree Forum Wiki
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
lawqueen04 Wrote:Yes I am interested in medical school. My plan is to enroll in a SMP they call special masters program to fulfill my pre-reqs

My understanding is 'the SMP' is a wholly different thing from 'fulfilling the core science prerequisites'. The core, basic science prerequisites – the common across medical schools of one year each in gen chem, orgo, bio, and physics, all with lab – are almost always, possibly always, fulfilled at the undergraduate level. These wouldn't count as credit towards a master's degree. My understanding is that Special Master's Programs are intended for people who already have most or all of the core science prerequisites but want to improve their academic records, especially in science; they already minimally qualify to apply to med school but want to be more competitive.

The Post-bac FAQ at forums.studentdoctor.net Wrote:Essentially there are 3 different types of post-bac programs:

1. Basic Sciences - this type of program is for people who have not completed the basic requirements for medical school and usually are people who majored in something else in college and decided to go into medicine later. The coursework can be done in a formal post-bac program, ie Bryn Mawr program, or on your own at your local university. This is discussed further later in the FAQ.

2. Advanced Sciences/"GPA Boosters" - this type of program is designed for people who were science majors or who finished the basic science requirements already and i) want to "stay on their game" academically on glide year or before applying to med schools, or ii) feel they need to raise their GPA to become a more competitive medical school applicant. This can also be done at formal programs, or on your own.

3. Special Masters Programs - these programs are one-year masters degrees (usually) that allow you to earn an MS in biomedical sciences or a related field. They are usually done by people who have a science background and are looking to make their application more competitive, for GPA or other reasons.
Post-bac FAQ (forums.studentdoctor.net)

The Official Guide to Special Master's Programs at forums.studentdoctor.net Wrote:Who is it for?
SMPs are generally programs designed for several different populations of students
1) Those who completed their science requirements in college and need to improve their academic standings (mostly low GPA issues).
2) Those who completed their science requirements in college and will have a "gap" year(s) between graduation and their intended year of matriculation into medical school
3) Those who have graduated college a while ago who have their basic science coursework completed (either through a postbac or through their alma mater) and need to demonstrate that they can still handle the coursework years after such an academic atmosphere. These are nontraditional applicants and often, career switchers.
4) Those who have both a low GPA and a low MCAT. One program that I can recall in particular, though it may not be considered an SMP, offers courses built into its curriculum to raise a student's MCAT score if low, while offering science classes to supplement their science background.
**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs** (forums.studentdoctor.net)

The Postbaccalaureate Programs section on forums.studentdoctor.net discusses basic sciences (undergraduate) and advanced sciences/"GPA booster" (undergraduate or graduate) and SMP (graduate) programs.

Sometimes one program may serve both basic science and "booster" students. The Health Careers Program at Harvard Extension School has something for both. However, the credits in the four one-year basic science prerequisites at HES is all at the undergraduate level. This can't apply to any master's degree. There might be SMPs that accept students without the basic science prereqs where students could complete the basic science prereqs in part-time on top of the SMP, but the courses toward one goal wouldn't apply to the other.

lawqueen04 Wrote:or get a pre-med science certificate or attend Columbia University MS Bioethics while obtaining my sciences certificate (very $$$ but its my dream lol)

Smile A pre-med science certificate might or might not include the basic science requirements. Some will be "booster" programs.

lawqueen04 Wrote:I did not want to mix sciences with my distance ed degree besides those two.

I'm not suggesting to take the science prereqs by distance. Some medical schools may accept science prereqs with lab and otherwise meeting criteria that are delivered by distance; some will not.

However, remember that when you apply to medical school, all your courses and exams will be aggregated on one list in the applications you submit and all your transcripts will be sent in simultaneously and filed together. If you started taking prereqs at a local school before completing your BA, you'd be making progress both toward holding the science prereqs and in elective credit you could apply toward the bachelor's.

Granted, you might pay more for TESC enrollment because you weren't taking 24 sh in TECEPs with the per-credit option. But your time and work is valuable too, and if you're going to apply to almost all medical schools eventually you'll have to earn this undergraduate science credit. Why not let that help you towards your undergraduate degree?

lawqueen04 Wrote:I just made a plan for a BA English if I complete all those requirements for the social science degree then I could wait until after I get my social science degree to then start with the english

Survey of literature I &II Clep America Lit
Analyzing and Interpreting Lit Clep analyzing n interpreting
Non western Lit ???
Capstone- would already have
18 elective credits
1. 3 left over clep analysing lit credits
2. Women in drama class -already have
3. BYU Upper level english class
4. BYU Upper level English class
5. BYU Upper level English class
6. BYU Upper level English class

I think this could work

I don't know whether TESC would accept the Liberal Arts Capstone from a previous TESC bachelor's in one area of study toward a second TESC bachelor's in a different area of study. My guess is that they wouldn't.
Hey, something else to consider:

Your plan for your first degree is to avoid TESC's high annual enrollment fee by taking 24 sh in TECEPs on the per-credit plan. How would you cover enrollment for the second BA in English? One strategy to max out on the value of an annual enrollment fee is to enroll close to completion of the requirements for one TESC degree, promptly complete the requirements and file for graduation, then after graduating complete a second TESC degree before the annual enrollment window runs out. My guess is that the per-credit plan wouldn't give you a window you could use toward a second bachelor's this way. You might want to go with the annual enrollment plan and try to fit two degrees in there. In this scenario you wouldn't need to take any TECEPs.
I see what you are saying. Thank you for the advice. I have general physics and general biology from community college already but I did want to retake my physics because the first was a c+. I wanted to finish my degree asap because I want to work on my sciences. The social science degree just fit the best besides a lib arts degree. I wanted to save my sciences so I can do it all together in 1 program and study for the MCAT at that time.

I would have thought they would accept the capstone if it was done once...I wouldnt think they would make someone take it over. That was a good point. Thank you.
ACE Credits-
Kaplan PLA course

Eventually-
Masters degree
Valdosa DPA [/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,154 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,940 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,654 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero