Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA in History TESU
Here we go:

Shout out to Rachel83az and defrecore and all the others who commented on my original post.

So based on what I learned: I need 24 RA credits and 18 UL credits and I need to enroll in something called 16 credit term...has to do with cost. I didn't look too much into that (cost) but I am pretty sure I get it.

So I wanted to take all American History classes because I love American History but that will cost a great deal more because I will have to transfer them in from other colleges which is expensive. So I just made my plan without those (sad tears). 

RA: I did not take English yet (yikes) so Rachel said that I could take that at TESU thru TECEP (?) and it would count towards my 24 RA credits. So by doing that, I won't need the other UL classes from Sterling College to get me up to 24 credits.

UL: I currently have 7 UL classes listed on my plan. So that covers those.

I removed the Chinese History and replaced it with Holocaust (from study) to satisfy my Non Western Req. Vietnam can replace Holocaust if need be, the one not used here will be used down in the "concentration" classes.

Since I took away one of the RA's (Chinese History) I replaced it with the African American History from TESU. That satisfies; RA, UL & 16 credit req.

So my 12 Credits required for the History are shown on lines 30-33, all UL

Can I get some clarification on the TECEP? I need to take those English classes to get my RA up to 24. Would I be able to take them before I enroll? It would put me over my 16 credit term if I took them during that time. I can't eliminate anything from the 16 credit term because I need those RA classes. (I hope that makes sense)

IDK the difference between gen eds and electives so I just put my sophia classes in there and they'll be applied accordingly when transferred. 

Tell me what yous think? Any changes that need to be made? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I wouldn't have made it this far without yous. Thanks!!

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU Degree Plan.xlsx (Size: 11.73 KB / Downloads: 9)
The Holocaust course at SDC doesn't count as non-Western history. Neither do either of the Vietnam courses (for whatever reason). Currently, the cheapest way to fill the requirement is HIS-379 Latin American History and Politics (UL) at Olivet Nazarene University at $50/credit for a total of $150 for the entire course. The Soviet Union DSST exam might technically be slightly cheaper, but taking actually being able to take a DSST right now is all but impossible.

You also need 24 RA credits plus the capstone and cornerstone for a total of 30. Swapping the SDC course for the ONU course brings you up to 27. Take another ONU course to bring the total to 30. Finite Math is technically the shortest course at ONU, but just take whatever's easiest for you. Maybe HIS-210 Western Civilization instead of the SDC course.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-23-2021, 09:33 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The Holocaust course at SDC doesn't count as non-Western history. Neither do either of the Vietnam courses (for whatever reason). Currently, the cheapest way to fill the requirement is HIS-379 Latin American History and Politics (UL) at Olivet Nazarene University at $50/credit for a total of $150 for the entire course. The Soviet Union DSST exam might technically be slightly cheaper, but taking actually being able to take a DSST right now is all but impossible.

You also need 24 RA credits plus the capstone and cornerstone for a total of 30. Swapping the SDC course for the ONU course brings you up to 27. Take another ONU course to bring the total to 30. Finite Math is technically the shortest course at ONU, but just take whatever's easiest for you. Maybe HIS-210 Western Civilization instead of the SDC course.

Oh, I thought it was 24 total. Okay no worries. I went back and changed my non western to the Latin America and I took away the Vietnam and added the US & Plains Indians from ONU as well. Are these classes self paced? I am going to email them now and see what the process is. I want to take them as soon as possible obviously, because I want to start TESU in January. 

Other than that, does everything else seem to look like it will work? I know when it comes down to it, its up to the University what they accept.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU Degree Plan.xlsx (Size: 11.61 KB / Downloads: 3)
Here are some issues I see:

1) you are using an old degree plan that's no longer applicable - switch to the new plan for the correct number of GE and AoS courses.

2) non-western/non-US History is history from any of these areas: Africa, Asia, Latin American, Middle East - this can be done most cheaply using ONU's HIS 379 - Latin American History and Politics or HISx340: World Conflicts Since 1900 - both are UL + RA credit. The History of the Soviet Union DSST exam is also available, but is neither RA nor UL.

3) you only have 25cr of RA - 8 3cr courses and 1 1cr course. You need 2 more courses. If you use an RA course for non-western history (above), then you need 1 more.

4) you have 21cr of UL. You could probably skip the Coopersmith course.

5) you need 1 more History course up in the GE, obviously the Coopersmith course could move there. Or you could choose something cheaper (like something from Study.com since you are already going to be doing courses there - I might consider HIS 105: US History from Settlement to Present Day
and try to test through a bunch with the placement test.

Last, I'd like to point out that you could easily take a lot more US History courses (ones from study.com) and transfer them in. But you took so many Sophia courses that you kind of used up space in your degree with courses you didn't necessarily want to take. If you take extra courses, they will show up on your transcript so they're not lost - it's just that you spent time/money on stuff you didn't really care about.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-23-2021, 10:09 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Here are some issues I see:

1) you are using an old degree plan that's no longer applicable - switch to the new plan for the correct number of GE and AoS courses.

2) non-western/non-US History is history from any of these areas: Africa, Asia, Latin American, Middle East - this can be done most cheaply using ONU's HIS 379 - Latin American History and Politics or HISx340: World Conflicts Since 1900 - both are UL + RA credit.  The History of the Soviet Union DSST exam is also available, but is neither RA nor UL.

3) you only have 25cr of RA - 8 3cr courses and 1 1cr course.  You need 2 more courses.  If you use an RA course for non-western history (above), then you need 1 more.

4) you have 21cr of UL.  You could probably skip the Coopersmith course.

5) you need 1 more History course up in the GE, obviously the Coopersmith course could move there.  Or you could choose something cheaper (like something from Study.com since you are already going to be doing courses there - I might consider HIS 105: US History from Settlement to Present Day
and try to test through a bunch with the placement test.

Last, I'd like to point out that you could easily take a lot more US History courses (ones from study.com) and transfer them in.  But you took so many Sophia courses that you kind of used up space in your degree with courses you didn't necessarily want to take.  If you take extra courses, they will show up on your transcript so they're not lost - it's just that you spent time/money on stuff you didn't really care about.

1) How do I find this new degree plan? I go to TESU website, click on online programs, BA in History and this is what I see. I don't know about any other degree plan? (See below)

2) I added Latin America from ONU for the Non Western Requirement

3) Now that I know I need the 30 RA credits, I changed some things around so I am now counting 30 (Two english, Public Speaking, Cornerstone, Latin America, Capstone, US & Plains Indians, African American History, Computer Concepts & Art 100)

4) Adding the two ONU courses (to get my RA up) did eliminate the coopersmith course. I don't know if I could remove the Holocaust one. I guess I need to see what this new degree plan looks like? 

5) I need another in addition to whats there or instead of something? I don't care that I took all those sophia courses. Better to have them and not need them, then need them and not have them LOL I love history, I don't mind taking an additional course from Study if I need to. I have the time so its not really an issue. 

Please help me find this new degree plan on their website so I can make the necessary changes. This is what comes up when I go on their website to this degree https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/history 

I have reattached the spreadsheet, showing the changes made. 

Thanks for such a detailed and organized answer.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU Degree Plan.xlsx (Size: 11.62 KB / Downloads: 3)
Only the courses listed here are $50/credit and self-paced: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University I just logged in to double-check that the list is up to date and it is.

You need to sign up under their YourWay program to access the affordable courses. Once you're logged in, you'll be able to see the estimated time to complete each course and you'll have access to the syllabus as well. The other ONU courses cost more and are not self-paced.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(09-23-2021, 10:25 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Only the courses listed here are $50/credit and self-paced: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University I just logged in to double-check that the list is up to date and it is.

You need to sign up under their YourWay program to access the affordable courses. Once you're logged in, you'll be able to see the estimated time to complete each course and you'll have access to the syllabus as well. The other ONU courses cost more and are not self-paced.

Great. Lemme read over this.
(09-23-2021, 10:24 AM)TheLibrarian Wrote: 1) How do I find this new degree plan? I go to TESU website, click on online programs, BA in History and this is what I see. I don't know about any other degree plan? (See below)

The new catalog is even more confusing to newbies, IMO. It heavily implies that you MUST take certain TESU courses (even if this is not necessary). But you can find it here: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...in-History I don't know why it's not fully linked on the TESU site yet, but that's what new students need to use and not the one that is currently easiest to find.

Once you are a fully-enrolled TESU student, you will have access to the more sensibly formatted (IMO) degree plan in Online Student Services.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(09-23-2021, 10:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 10:24 AM)TheLibrarian Wrote: 1) How do I find this new degree plan? I go to TESU website, click on online programs, BA in History and this is what I see. I don't know about any other degree plan? (See below)

The new catalog is even more confusing to newbies, IMO. It heavily implies that you MUST take certain TESU courses (even if this is not necessary). But you can find it here: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...in-History I don't know why it's not fully linked on the TESU site yet, but that's what new students need to use and not the one that is currently easiest to find.

Once you are a fully-enrolled TESU student, you will have access to the more sensibly formatted (IMO) degree plan in Online Student Services.

I just went back to my original post about SNHU and found you linked this before. Im sorry about that. Yeah some of these classes, I'm not sure what they are "American Cinema"? Also I see there where I do need another History because my sophia history is used for my major. 

Alright, I will re-do this plan. Thanks again!
American Cinema looks like a fun class if you enjoy movies. But it's totally not applicable to most people. It's definitely not a required class when you use Sophia for credits. There are better and cheaper options.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 370 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 853 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 628 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 169 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,253 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Help with degree plan - UMPI BA History Ckccc 15 1,243 02-06-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16
Question My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? bruh 65 6,064 01-11-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BACS planing help smtGate 8 553 01-04-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Business Core questions Yenisei 8 541 12-07-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Yenisei