Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA in History TESU
(09-24-2021, 10:47 PM)NC Coach Wrote: Thanks for that info, good to know about the electives.   I've never applied yet.   It always felt so far away.   Once I complete the two courses I'm taking now I'll have 80 credits, so it's certainly getting closer.

In that case, apply now! Most catalog changes have been adversarial to the degree process. The sooner you apply and get locked into the current catalog, the better. It only costs $50/year (in the form of paying for the Medical Terminology TECEP) to stay enrolled. That's much cheaper than potentially having to retake a bunch of classes becuase they changed requirements halfway through.

If I'd done that and had stayed fully enrolled when I first learned about the process, I wouldn't have to do the cornerstone. I think I might have been able to avoid the capstone, too, if I'd actually started when I found out that "testing out" of a degree was possible. I learned of it when you could still take the GRE for your UL credits. Now, I'm stuck with the capstone, cornerstone, and needing 30 RA credits. Don't be like me. Apply and enroll ASAP.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-25-2021, 02:27 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-24-2021, 10:47 PM)NC Coach Wrote: Thanks for that info, good to know about the electives.   I've never applied yet.   It always felt so far away.   Once I complete the two courses I'm taking now I'll have 80 credits, so it's certainly getting closer.

In that case, apply now! Most catalog changes have been adversarial to the degree process. The sooner you apply and get locked into the current catalog, the better. It only costs $50/year (in the form of paying for the Medical Terminology TECEP) to stay enrolled. That's much cheaper than potentially having to retake a bunch of classes becuase they changed requirements halfway through.

If I'd done that and had stayed fully enrolled when I first learned about the process, I wouldn't have to do the cornerstone. I think I might have been able to avoid the capstone, too, if I'd actually started when I found out that "testing out" of a degree was possible. I learned of it when you could still take the GRE for your UL credits. Now, I'm stuck with the capstone, cornerstone, and needing 30 RA credits. Don't be like me. Apply and enroll ASAP.

There is absolutely NO downside to enrolling at TESU early - since you're not paying fees for terms or anything like that (COSC has per-term fees, and EC has an annual fee).  We've been saying for years now to enroll at TESU as soon as you decide it's your school of choice.  If you decide not to go there later, you will have paid maybe $50 to apply, and then $50 a year for a TECEP max.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jch

And the biggest plus is that you can transfer your credits in as you earn them.  Once they're on the transcript you're good, even if they make a change to a course equivalent. Like if they stop taking a specific provider or course. For example, there was Shmoop (I don't even think they offer college credits anymore); cheap but really awful platform - pretty much everyone stopped taking them 'all of sudden'.  A few years ago there was an SL course that they took as UL and suddenly it was LL - everyone who had transferred it in when it was UL kept their UL credit, everyone who had waited only got LL credit (regardless of when they 'earned' it, it was all based on when it was transferred in). Now this was before TESU aligned their LL/UL to match what ACE now recommends, but they could still change what they except for what. I guess my point is, if you've committed to TESU then there are only benefits to being active and enrolled - plus it is great to see your degree officially build closer and closer to completion.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

This is interesting. I was going to wait until I got all my classes done to transfer in. Based on my goals, the latest term I can start would be April so I figured I would start the process Feb-Mar but you're saying its wise to just sign up now and do a TECEP that I am going to need to do for my degree anyway? Maybe I'll do that, next pay day.

Are they okay with transferring a lot in? Like I know y'all have said that EC has started to make it difficult to get stuff transferred but does TESU mind that you wanna transfer in 114 credits or whatever? Basically, are they going to pressure me to take their classes?
(09-25-2021, 10:31 AM)TheLibrarian Wrote:

This is interesting. I was going to wait until I got all my classes done to transfer in. Based on my goals, the latest term I can start would be April so I figured I would start the process Feb-Mar but you're saying its wise to just sign up now and do a TECEP that I am going to need to do for my degree anyway? Maybe I'll do that, next pay day.

Are they okay with transferring a lot in? Like I know y'all have said that EC has started to make it difficult to get stuff transferred but does TESU mind that you wanna transfer in 114 credits or whatever? Basically, are they going to pressure me to take their classes?

Yes, they mind. Yes, they will be a pain.  No, I wouldn't spend 5 seconds worrying about this.  Get enrolled and lock in that catalog so you don't have to think about this!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Yes, it's absolutely wise to apply & enroll as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more likely it will be that it will get harder to complete your degree.

If you talk to advisors, they will absolutely try to pressure you into taking TESU classes. We strongly recommend that you NOT talk to advisors unless it is absolutely necessary. For instance: "I would like to have HIS-456 at Sterling College preplanned into my degree." You don't ask if it will transfer. You assume that it will and don't listen when they try to get you to sign up for TESU's HIS-345 instead. They'll also try to get you to signup for SOS-110 ASAP. This is not necessary.

Basically, don't talk to TESU and you'll be fine. The advisors are more like salespeople than actual advisors, though there is one advisor (I forget his name) who is especially helpful if you need to contact TESU about bringing in alternate credit.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 371 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 854 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 629 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 169 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,254 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Help with degree plan - UMPI BA History Ckccc 15 1,244 02-06-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16
Question My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? bruh 65 6,065 01-11-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BACS planing help smtGate 8 554 01-04-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Business Core questions Yenisei 8 543 12-07-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Yenisei