Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA in History at TESU How do I get UL credits?
I apologize if this question is redundant and asked elsewhere.

I'm considering a BA in History at TESU.

I'm currently having transcripts evaluated but with the holidays I'm not sure that process will be complete before mid-January. I don't want to wait to begin working on credits.

I have an associates degree so most of my Gen Ed should transfer over. What I need to know is: are there UL classes in the 300/400 level for History available? I believe I'm going to need 5 UL courses at least. If I was in something like BSBA there are plenty of options but I'm having a hard time finding those for History. My goal is to teach History (after I get my BA and teaching license) so I don't think I can just switch to something more generic.

I guess another option I've considered is switching to a generic major like BALS or BASocSci or BSBA just to get a bachelor's degree as quickly as possible (I think I have about 80 credits that will transfer in from various sources). And then I can start my Master's in something more specific. But that is a secondary option

Are there UL classes that meet the History degree requirements available?
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Study.com's History 108: History of the Vietnam War or History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War will transfer into TESU as HIS-351: A History of Vietnam War (do not take both, they duplicate - i imagine 108 is the easier one?).

The DSST exam A History of the Vietnam War will also transfer (and duplicate) the same as the above course. Their History of the Soviet Union will transfer in as HIS-386 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union.

I don't recall specifically what UExcel World Conflicts Since 1900 transfers as, but I believe it is UL (and sanantone had it marked UL on the wiki). Possibly HIS-340?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
There is a Civil War DSST too.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
OakLakeNC Wrote:There is a Civil War DSST too.

It is not upper-level at TESU. It comes in as HIS-252 Civil War and Reconstruction.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Did you take Historical Methods/Historiography as part if your AA? If not, I have no idea where you plan on taking it, but it'll probably be a UL course.

If you took it at community college, it will not come in as UL, however.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:Study.com's History 108: History of the Vietnam War or History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War will transfer into TESU as HIS-351: A History of Vietnam War (do not take both, they duplicate - i imagine 108 is the easier one?).

The DSST exam A History of the Vietnam War will also transfer (and duplicate) the same as the above course. Their History of the Soviet Union will transfer in as HIS-386 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union.

I ended up passing Study.com's HIS-108, but also looked into the other one, just in case. Both are pretty similar, however their HIS -308 has additional essay questions which count as a percentage of the final overall grade (along with all the quizzes), so might be a good choice for someone who likes to write.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
rlw74 Wrote:I apologize if this question is redundant and asked elsewhere.

I'm considering a BA in History at TESU.

I'm currently having transcripts evaluated but with the holidays I'm not sure that process will be complete before mid-January. I don't want to wait to begin working on credits.

I have an associates degree so most of my Gen Ed should transfer over. What I need to know is: are there UL classes in the 300/400 level for History available? I believe I'm going to need 5 UL courses at least. If I was in something like BSBA there are plenty of options but I'm having a hard time finding those for History. My goal is to teach History (after I get my BA and teaching license) so I don't think I can just switch to something more generic.

I guess another option I've considered is switching to a generic major like BALS or BASocSci or BSBA just to get a bachelor's degree as quickly as possible (I think I have about 80 credits that will transfer in from various sources). And then I can start my Master's in something more specific. But that is a secondary option

Are there UL classes that meet the History degree requirements available?

What might work while you are waiting on your Academic Eval, would be to take all the free courses (ethics, etc, there's been lots of recent forum discussion about which are currently accepted by TESU, it's close to 9 credits available), and have them added to your ACE transcript.

After that, you could use what jsd listed and possibly start studying for the History of the Soviet Union DSST or sign up for a month of study.com and knock out History of Vietnam... and then maybe use your remaining study.com test/course to reward yourself with one of the study.com courses you just *want* to take (that's my personal educational philosophy, hahah).
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
I should mention that the free courses are conveniently linked in jsd's siggy Wink
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 164 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 212 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 174 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 363 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,109 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 617 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 590 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 699 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 585 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,051 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219