Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA in Social Science at TESC: Advice Needed!
Hello Everyone! I was hoping to get some advice and feedback on how to go about completing a BA in Social Science at TESC. I have been reading this forum and researching my options for about a year now, but this is my first post. I have many CC college credits and I just started testing as well. I am planning to apply to TESC next month and I hope to graduate as soon as possible, but most likely it will be in March or June 2014 (if possible). I know I will have my work cut out for me to meet that goal. I am wanting to apply to a few accelerated graduate nursing programs here in Cincinnati after my BA is near completion. I have most of the science prerequisites meet (except for Microbiology) and I took them in person, which I know is the best idea too. I was hoping someone could give me an idea of how my credits may transfer and suggest possible options to fulfill the remaining credits. Here is what I have so far:

Community College Credits: (66.90 Credits)

BIO 137: Human Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab (4 c)
BIO 139:Human Anatomy & Physiology II with Lab (4 c)
CHE 130: Intro Gen & Biological Chem (4 c)
CHE 140: Introductory General Chemistry (3 c) *In progress
CHE 145: Intro General Chemistry Lab (1 c) *In progress
CIT 105: Introduction to Computers (3 c)
CLA 131: Med Term from Greek & Latin (3 c) *In progress
CPR 100: CPR Healthcare Professionals (1 c)
COM 101: Intro to Communications (3 c)
ENG 101: Writing I (3 c)
ENG 102: Writing II (3 c) *In progress
MAT 085: Intermediate Algebra (3 c) *Dev. level at CC, may not transfer?
MAT 1201: Intermediate Factoring (0.30 c)
MAT 1202: Rational Expressions (0.30 c)
MAT 1203: Graphs and Functions (0.30 c)
MAT 150: College Algebra (3 c)
NAA 100: Nursing Assistant Skills I (3 c)
NFS 101: Human Nutrition & Wellness (3 c)
PHI 110: Medical Ethics (3 c)
PSY 110: General Psychology (3 c)
PSY 223: Developmental Psychology (3 c)
SPA 1011: Spanish Greetings & Farewells (0.80 c)
SOC 101: Intro to Sociology (3 c)
STA 220: Statistics (3 c) *In progress

Testing and Other: (20 credits)

ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra (3 c)
ALEKS: Pre-Calc (3 c)
DSST: Environment & Humanity (3 c)
DSST: Here's to your Health (3 c)
DSST: Substance Abuse (3 c)
FEMA: 5 certs (5 c)

Thank for the help everyone! This forum has been an awesome find! I will truly appreciate any help and feedback! I am also open to changing my major if anyone thinks there is a faster route or a better fit. Smile Thanks again!
Since you are within a year of your target date you may want to go ahead and at least get the application process going. They'll give you an evaluation and that should help you figure out what is missing. You'd then have six months before you'd have to enroll (and that would be good for one year). If you haven't already completed an associates degree from your community college then you might also consider if you'd be interested in an AA or other two year degree while you reach your goal of a BA. Most of us on the board are trying to keep up as TESC changed the general education requirements on 7/1 so where I once could tell you what area you are short, its become a bit more difficult.

amielynne Wrote:Hello Everyone! I was hoping to get some advice and feedback on how to go about completing a BA in Social Science at TESC.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
I agree with cooperalex I was working towards a second BA in SS so I had a degree plan which included many of the classes you have, but the new rules make that plan no longer useable. If you apply to TESC for $75 they will tell you where your credits will probably go. You need to send all of your transcripts to finish the application but it will also take them weeks to finish the unofficial evaluation after that you have 6 months to enroll and that application is still good. You have to enroll for one year so that gives you time to finish your degree. Keep in mind that you need to at least be started last courses or finished testing before the application deadline for graduation. So if you finish everything by October 1st you can apply for December graduation, your actual conferral date will be about Dec. 12. So keep that in mind if you need a graduation date before Sept 10, 2014 then you need to finish all courses and apply for graduation by April 1st to have a June graduation
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Thank you both for the reply; is it the new change in general education credits that is making it hard to figure how credits may transfer? It seems that TESC isn't very clear on which classes fulfill these requirements. The tips on enrollment and graduation are great, I was wondering what kind of time frame I needed. What about the capstone course? How often does that start and does it have to be completed or in progress to apply for graduation? Would I possibly be better off going with a Natural Science/ Mathematics option since I have a lot of science credits? I figured that there are more test options for UL credit with a Social Science degree and that is why I chose that. Thanks again for the help! I really do appreciate it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,114 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,537 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,589 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU - BA in Computer Science Gone? MrBossmanJr 5 1,694 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BA Computer Science nyvrem 5 2,461 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Degree plan - advice needed please Tripletmom 9 2,105 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,779 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  Help! Advice needed! TESU enrollment expiring. Lewis.Yim 15 4,370 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Last Post: sheptr
  Looking for advice about finishing my degree needdegree123 20 2,950 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Last Post: davewill