Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BALS COSC vs TESU
Okay, so I know things have been changing but can anyone summarize the advantages / disadvantages of a BALS at these two schools?  I know the Shmoop v TESU changes may have impacted things as well, but is it enough to favor Charter Oaks?

Thanks for the help (and any sheets for a plan out there?)
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJ_Atlanta's post:
  • Life_One
Do you have any existing Shmoop credits?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Have you taken more courses such as Shmoop or from other providers since you updated your signature? Basically get all the ACE/NCCRS credits you can cheap/easy/fast - I would recommend going for CLEP/MS, OnlineDegree.com/Saylor.org for your general education, electives, and AOS lower level requirements. Finish the degree with the Study.com UL AOS courses.

Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
45cr down
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
No I have not updated my signature in a bit, a handful of additional credits. I am not sure how that would apply to the differences between the two programs unless I am missing something?

(09-22-2018, 03:50 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Have you taken more courses such as Shmoop or from other providers since you updated your signature?  Basically get all the ACE/NCCRS credits you can cheap/easy/fast - I would recommend going for CLEP/MS, OnlineDegree.com/Saylor.org for your general education, electives, and AOS lower level requirements.  Finish the degree with the Study.com UL AOS courses.

45cr down

I don't know anything about OnlineDegree.com (new?) but dang if those Saylor courses a disorganized pain.  Wish they just had a single book/ebook to study; going all over (if all links work) is so very very time consuming
45cr down
Depends on which credits you have and from where to see which program they would fit better into. For instance, if you had a bunch of Shmoop credits already or wanted to do a bunch more, you couldn't apply them to tesu. Both programs are close in overall cost. What I like about tesu, is it's very possible to add on an associates (or 2), a second bachelor's or even some undergrad certificates for minimal extra money.

Yes OD is very new and a great option if there are courses that can fit into your degree. They only have 15 right now. The good news is they are talks with setting up direct transfer agreements with both TESU and COSC.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(09-22-2018, 04:38 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Depends on which credits you have and from where to see which program they would fit better into. For instance, if you had a bunch of Shmoop credits already or wanted to do a bunch more, you couldn't apply them to tesu. Both programs are close in overall cost. What I like about tesu, is it's very possible to add on an associates (or 2), a second bachelor's or even some undergrad certificates for minimal extra money.

Yes OD is very new and a great option if there are courses that can fit into your degree. They only have 15 right now. The good news is they are talks with setting up direct transfer agreements with both TESU and COSC.

I am interested in adding some additional history credits from Shmoop if possible; not a lot of inexpensive history credits out there and none that I know of as low per as Shmoop.  But regardless of that I am still curious what/why TESU v Charter
45cr down
(09-22-2018, 05:37 PM)AJ_Atlanta Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 04:38 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Depends on which credits you have and from where to see which program they would fit better into. For instance, if you had a bunch of Shmoop credits already or wanted to do a bunch more, you couldn't apply them to tesu. Both programs are close in overall cost. What I like about tesu, is it's very possible to add on an associates (or 2), a second bachelor's or even some undergrad certificates for minimal extra money.

I am interested in adding some additional history credits from Shmoop if possible; not a lot of inexpensive history credits out there and none that I know of as low per as Shmoop.  But regardless of that I am still curious what/why TESU v Charter

Have you looked into going back to University of Pennsylvania? They just started offering an online BAAS program.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
TESU doesn't require a lab science, while COSC does, so if that's a deal-breaker for you, then you have to go with TESU. And, I think that COSC requires College Algebra or higher, while TESU only requires college-level math (so Applied Liberal Arts Math or College Math will work). Again, for some people, this may be a deal-breaker.

TESU also requires fewer UL courses, so if you're coming in with a bunch of LL courses that fit into a TESU plan, it may be an overall better plan for you to do TESU.

COSC has a BS as well as a BA, so you have more opportunities to apply some courses that might not work as Liberal Studies at TESU. I think my daughter, who is planning a specific AAS degree at her CC after HS graduation, will have a much better shot at turning that into a degree at COSC than TESU.

BUT, starting from scratch, and with no real barriers, COSC is now cheaper than TESU. And with the ability to use Shmoop and FEMA, it's definitely the cheapest degree available.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,021 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,320 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,366 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic