Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BALS (UMPI) vs. BSLA (Excelsior)
I was wondering what are the pros and cons of opting for a Bachelor of Liberal Studies (Minor Management) at UMPI versus a Bachelor of Liberal Arts at Excelsior, in terms of "difficulty" and "effort"?

Thank you!
It's going to be hard to explain as there are pros and cons to both, you may want to review these following links.  It basically boils down to you, your budget, commitments, and similar variables.  If you have energy, money, time, then UMPI is the better option and you can finish faster.  

If you don't have much time and want to work slowly, Excelsior is best as you can transfer in 113 credits.  It would be easier to provide advice if we know your scenario or situation better, you should follow this template: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Thread Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...HT-for-you
Wiki Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ch...University
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • lumina
Your Location: Europe / international student
Your Age: 40+
What kind of degree do you want?: honestly, a check box degree will be more than enough. Psychology, Law, Criminal Justice and just about anything that requires empirical investigation and critical analysis are subjects that interest me and are therefore easier to digest. Although I have a business background, this time I would like to broaden my horizons. Perhaps a bachelor's degree like General Studies/Liberal Arts would give me the freedom to mix and match my interests.
Current Regional Accredited Credits: none
Current ACE, or NCCRS Credits: Sophia credits: 15
Any certifications? EQF (European Qualifications Framework) Level 3 and 4 (Retail Management)
Budget: ideally <5K
Dedicated time to study: approx 6 hours a week
Timeline: ideally <1 year

Thnak you for any advice!
The 2 programs are completely different from each other - you can't really compare apples-to-oranges like that.

I would say that if you can stick it out and do a bunch of coursework for 2 or 3 straight 8-week terms, then UMPI may be the way to go. If you need to do schoolwork in bursts - say your work gets busy seasonally or you coach your kid's soccer team in spring and fall, then EU may be the way to go.

I'd probably start with Sophia and do all of the courses needed for UMPI's gen ed; the good news is that if you fulfill the UMPI GEC, those courses will also work and fulfill the entire GE portion of EU's BLS degree. So that's a win-win.

Both liberal studies degrees will allow for a LOT of free electives, so you're fine to take almost as many Psych, Law, CJ, or business classes that you like and not "lose" anything.

But start with UMPI's GEC and go from there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-18-2022, 11:17 AM)lumina Wrote: Dedicated time to study: approx 6 hours a week

You won't finish any degree in a year by dedicating only 6 hours a week. 6 hours a week is not nearly enough to complete a degree at UMPI in 2-3 sessions like most people.
(08-18-2022, 02:26 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-18-2022, 11:17 AM)lumina Wrote: Dedicated time to study: approx 6 hours a week

You won't finish any degree in a year by dedicating only 6 hours a week. 6 hours a week is not nearly enough to complete a degree at UMPI in 2-3 sessions like most people.

True. At only 6 hours per week, you'd be lucky to even finish enough classes to just get started at UMPI or Excelsior. For fastest results, you'll probably want to try to carve out at least 1-2 hours per day + 6-8 hours on weekends. Or else accept that it's going to take 2-3 years to finish a degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
@lumina where in Europe? So, depending on the country you're in, you may want to finish a UK Level 5/Level 6 diploma and get a Bachelors "top up" from a UK university. If you need a US degree, then you can try completing about 90 credits with Sophia.org and decide on the school, Excelsior would be my recommendation. If you think you can do better with UMPI, you can go that route too...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-18-2022, 02:34 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-18-2022, 02:26 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

True. At only 6 hours per week, you'd be lucky to even finish enough classes to just get started at UMPI or Excelsior. For fastest results, you'll probably want to try to carve out at least 1-2 hours per day + 6-8 hours on weekends. Or else accept that it's going to take 2-3 years to finish a degree.

Yes, I'm aware I'm not putting that much time into it at the moment, but of course I plan to work on it at least 25 hours a week once I'm done with my Sophia.
(08-27-2022, 09:17 AM)lumina Wrote: Yes, I'm aware I'm not putting that much time into it at the moment, but of course I plan to work on it at least 25 hours a week once I'm done with my Sophia.

25 hours per week should be more than enough time for UMPI. As long as you're fine with writing, with getting a foreign language, and get a science with a lab, UMPI is a good option.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-18-2022, 03:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @lumina where in Europe? So, depending on the country you're in, you may want to finish a UK Level 5/Level 6 diploma and get a Bachelors "top up" from a UK university.  If you need a US degree, then you can try completing about 90 credits with Sophia.org and decide on the school, Excelsior would be my recommendation.  If you think you can do better with UMPI, you can go that route too...

I appreciate your recommendation!
Well, actually Germany. I'm somewhere else right now, but I'm definitely looking for a US degree.

As for UL credits, if I'm not mistaken, the ACTFL exam counts as UL Arts & Science right? I am fluent in two other languages so this would be a good alternative as well.

Thank you!

(08-27-2022, 09:20 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 09:17 AM)lumina Wrote: Yes, I'm aware I'm not putting that much time into it at the moment, but of course I plan to work on it at least 25 hours a week once I'm done with my Sophia.

25 hours per week should be more than enough time for UMPI. As long as you're fine with writing, with getting a foreign language, and get a science with a lab, UMPI is a good option.

Just the thought of writing makes me anxious Blush , but it would definitely be something I could overcome. Shy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 403 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,584 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,646 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  BSLA recommendations Shogun 5 605 10-16-2023, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Shogun
Smile EU - BSLA nick00106 46 5,949 10-03-2023, 10:56 AM
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,315 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,337 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,074 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,735 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this