Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BALS or no BALS?
I know I've posted a little about this before, but now I have all the facts from TESU so its facts not speculation. So why not post another question? I'm kind of in a unique situation and I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Because I transferred in so much prior credit, according to my evaluation, the only requirements I need for BALS-no concentration are 5 UL Liberal Studies courses and the LA capstone. However, I figured a BSBA could provide more opportunities in the future, so I'm going for a BSBA-HR instead and I currently have 80 credits complete towards it. I'm currently a TESU student because of enrolling in the cornerstone. But then I realized I could earn both degrees, so my degree program is currently set to both degrees. My plan is to finish most or all of the requirements both degrees between now and March. Then in March I'll take the LA-capstone and then in May I'll take the BUS-capstone, with the month of May overlapping between both capstones at once. I'd graduate in September only paying one residency wavier for both degrees.

Also, I e-mailed TESU and they told me 9 credits (3 courses) can overlap between AOS for both degrees. They gave me specific courses that work for both degrees and approved it. This means a BALS would only require two extra UL courses and the capstone.

I mapped it all out and got it approved, the two extra courses I plan on taking towards the BALS and not the BSBA are study.com's Organizational Communications and the Substance Abuse DSST. They both have TESU approval for a BALS UL credit. I've already finished all the quizzes on the sdc course so I just need to do the project and final and I have a DSST scheduled this month. So this part is definitely doable.

However, the difficult part is the capstone, due the time commitment and cost of the capstone. This is making consider if this all worthwhile.

My question is this:

Should I go for the extra BALS? Will it add anything to my resume (especially since it has no concentration.)?
Is the extra cost, and time of the LA capstone worth it?
Any other thoughts?
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • Life_One
If I was in your situation and had the time, I would just go for the BSBA. I think it offers a little more significance over a BALS, although it really depends on what your goals are.

I am fine with the BALS only, as I am just checking off a box at this point. I think having both is kind of pointless.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • natshar
(01-09-2019, 03:42 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: If I was in your situation and had the time, I would just go for the BSBA. I think it offers a little more significance over a BALS, although it really depends on what your goals are.

I am fine with the BALS only, as I am just checking off a box at this point. I think having both is kind of pointless.

To be clear my question isn't BALS or BSBA? I'm for sure doing the BSBA.

So my choices are either:

BSBA only?

OR

Both BSBA & BALS? (to which it will require: 1 DSST, 1 SDC course and the LA-capstone)
If you feel spending another 3 months doing a capstone course is worth it (plus the extra money), it's ultimately up to you.

I don't really see how getting a BALS alongside the BSBA degree adds any extra value to your resume.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • natshar
I don't think it adds any extra to your resume, and I personally wouldn't bother.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The best degree is a one in hand. Do whatever you can finish fastest, before TESU makes some weird policy again.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 2 users Like armstrongsubero's post:
  • CarpeDiem8, Ideas
The BALS is considered a generic "checkbox" degree. Its usually the fastest degree and people get it to prove they have a degree. It isn't really valuable for any other purpose... particularly one without a concentration.

If you're applying for a job that lists a business degree as minimum qualifications and you have a BSBA (regardless of what concentration it is) most hiring managers won't look at the BALS at all... or at best will wonder why you have both degrees. For any other job, the degrees are functionally equivalent; a BSBA is no better than a BALS for a job where a business degree isn't necessary.

If you want the BSBA because that is what you're interested in (or because you think you might pursue a business-oriented master's program later), then get that and forget the BALS so you can graduate 3 months earlier.

If you just want a bachelor's degree so you can earn more money or apply for better jobs, then get the BALS and forget the BSBA since you're so close to being done with that now.

There is no purpose in getting both, except to cost you more money.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Is there a chance you might not finish the BSBA? If so do both concurrently if there is a chance life might get in the way so you have SOMETHING.

However, my path was do the BALS and then MBA at WGU, which I finish in February. Technically, in the time it takes you to finish the BSBA you could have completed almost the entire MBA too.
BSBA only for multiple reasons. One reason is what armstrongsubero posted.

Maybe add an undergrad certificate if it doesn't slow your graduation at all, or max 3 months? I think BSBA + an undergrad cert that applies to your career path is much better than BSBA + BALS with no concentration.

For some of their certs, especially business related certs, you'd only need 2-4 cheap classes (Study.com, etc). I think that would be quicker, easier, and cheaper than another capstone.

Oh, but a business certificate may not make sense because you could do a second BSBA concentration instead.

Anyway a certificate can help you stand out a little, depending on how it relates to the career.

(01-09-2019, 05:44 PM)jjsafari Wrote: Is there a chance you might not finish the BSBA? If so do both concurrently if there is a chance life might get in the way so you have SOMETHING.

However, my path was do the BALS and then MBA at WGU, which I finish in February. Technically, in the time it takes you to finish the BSBA you could have completed almost the entire MBA too.

Timing works the same for both. With the BALS if I really worked hard got all the UL done and signed up for the February capstone I could graduate in June, but this would be difficult for me to do. I'm not even sure with the new rules, if they would let me sign up for the capstone without the UL done.

So realistically I'd be looking at a September graduation for either degree I pursue. And I don't think June vs September graduation doesn't make much of a difference for me anyways.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm just going to do the BSBA. However, if somehow TESU's policy changes, I get burnt out, have any issue that prevents me from finishing, etc. I have the option switch to the BALS. I guess it's good to have a backup plan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 413 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 414 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  BALS Natural Sciences/Mathematics Clarification ACR1200 14 1,144 06-12-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  need help designing TESU BALS degree plan ece2001biz 8 1,098 02-06-2023, 12:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BALS(PSY) ragkrish 10 1,038 07-26-2022, 02:23 PM
Last Post: ragkrish
  Capstone BAlS desoren 6 968 06-10-2022, 02:41 PM
  Upper Level Options - BALS BSBRose21 13 1,616 05-21-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: BSBRose21
  BALS concentration or no Concentration desoren 4 924 09-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Last Post: desoren
  BALS - Humanities - Course suggestions Learnfordegree 13 1,970 09-23-2021, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Learnfordegree
  495 capstone BALS vs BA Mitmike2019 9 1,225 08-11-2021, 07:02 AM
Last Post: allvia