Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BALS or no BALS?
@natshar ask for both to be put in your evaluation while you work on the BSBA, that way you can lock in the current catalog if you change your mind halfway.

Best of luck to you! Come on you got this!
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(01-09-2019, 06:25 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @natshar ask for both to be put in your evaluation while you work on the BSBA, that way you can lock in the current catalog if you change your mind halfway.

Best of luck to you! Come on you got this!

They already both are on my evaluation. My official program of study right now is both.

Thanks.
Since you for sure want the BSBA, why not schedule doing the business capstone first, then you can decide if you want to do the extra work for the Liberal studies capstone.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • natshar
natshar Wrote:My question is this:
Should I go for the extra BALS? Will it add anything to my resume (especially since it has no concentration.)?
Is the extra cost, and time of the LA capstone worth it?
Any other thoughts?

Thoughts: There are many people on this board that have multiple degrees from TESU or undergraduate degrees from other schools combined, it depends what your use of it is or its value... And there are others who are in the process, trying to obtain multiple degrees from TESU. From the looks of things, you're closer to the "check the box" BALS no concentration degree. You're the one who needs decide if the extra capstone is "worth" it.

Let's try to answer that because you seem to be someone who likes to learn and read. I recall you're the one who placed a poll asking about a third associates. My questions to you, how many courses have you taken at once per semester during your college years when you did the two Associates? I know you want this BALS/BSBA combo, what's stopping you? Is it energy/money/time?

If you were at the age of 4X, I would tell you to skip the third associates, and maybe skip the second bachelors. But you're just in your 2X's. What if that BALS is a concentration in Social Sciences or a Humanities/Social Sciences combo? Would that make a difference to you or change your decision? I believe you're at 80% decided you want this second degree and want someone to push you over top to make that final decision... that person is you.

Now get this, if my guess is correct, the 3 UL BSBA courses that you got approval for your BALS are probably "Organizational Behavior", "Sociology of Work", "MIS", "Organizational Communications" or something along the lines of Humanities/Social Science courses. With that Substance Abuse DSST, you have hit the "BALS with a Social Sciences" concentration. I would say that *ADDS* value to your resume.

This is why, if you apply to a job at a non profit, say a neighborhood house/NGO or some other type of non-profit agency that deals with social issues, they may look at the BALS with the SS concentration over the BSBA HR, as they're not looking for an HR or business major, they may be looking for an entry level assistant to their social work team. The Liberal Arts degree is a multi-disciplinary degree, it keeps you learning in all sorts of Arts & Science as it contains different subject courses.

In the end, you need to decide if that type of degree is helpful for a cost of $1098. I recall you get discounts on Study.com, my suggestion is to complete the requirements of both degrees BEFORE you register for the BSBA/BALS capstones. Several people have asked me how "hard" the capstones are, the BSBA is much harder than the BALS. If you have done say a full load of 5 courses/semester at college, both courses would be equivalent to that - I would do them together and graduate at the same time.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-10-2019, 02:52 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
natshar Wrote:My question is this:
Should I go for the extra BALS? Will it add anything to my resume (especially since it has no concentration.)?
Is the extra cost, and time of the LA capstone worth it?
Any other thoughts?

Thoughts: There are many people on this board that have multiple degrees from TESU or undergraduate degrees from other schools combined, it depends what your use of it is or its value... And there are others who are in the process, trying to obtain multiple degrees from TESU. From the looks of things, you're closer to the "check the box" BALS no concentration degree. You're the one who needs decide if the extra capstone is "worth" it.

Let's try to answer that because you seem to be someone who likes to learn and read. I recall you're the one who placed a poll asking about a third associates. My questions to you, how many courses have you taken at once per semester during your college years when you did the two Associates? I know you want this BALS/BSBA combo, what's stopping you? Is it energy/money/time?

If you were at the age of 4X, I would tell you to skip the third associates, and maybe skip the second bachelors. But you're just in your 2X's. What if that BALS is a concentration in Social Sciences or a Humanities/Social Sciences combo? Would that make a difference to you or change your decision? I believe you're at 80% decided you want this second degree and want someone to push you over top to make that final decision... that person is you.

Now get this, if my guess is correct, the 3 UL BSBA courses that you got approval for your BALS are probably "Organizational Behavior", "Sociology of Work", "MIS", "Organizational Communications" or something along the lines of Humanities/Social Science courses. With that Substance Abuse DSST, you have hit the "BALS with a Social Sciences" concentration. I would say that *ADDS* value to your resume.

This is why, if you apply to a job at a non profit, say a neighborhood house/NGO or some other type of non-profit agency that deals with social issues, they may look at the BALS with the SS concentration over the BSBA HR, as they're not looking for an HR or business major, they may be looking for an entry level assistant to their social work team. The Liberal Arts degree is a multi-disciplinary degree, it keeps you learning in all sorts of Arts & Science as it contains different subject courses.

In the end, you need to decide if that type of degree is helpful for a cost of $1098. I recall you get discounts on Study.com, my suggestion is to complete the requirements of both degrees BEFORE you register for the BSBA/BALS capstones. Several people have asked me how "hard" the capstones are, the BSBA is much harder than the BALS. If you have done say a full load of 5 courses/semester at college, both courses would be equivalent to that - I would do them together and graduate at the same time.

Interesting thoughts!!!!

Actually those aren't the courses I got approved I didn't even think of doing the SS concentration. Maybe I should, but I don't know if I feel like changing it especially if I don't earn the second degree after all.

The third associates is more of a random thing that happened due to my smart planning. I realized if I wanted to utilize financial aid I had take a certain number of courses. In total this semester would put me at 15 total credits in residency at the CC. I'm taking self paced courses that transfer to TESU for the BSBA core. In the end the Pell grant more than covers it, my CC is one of the cheapest in the country. So I'm getting paid to get a third associate. When I figured out I was eligible and met the requirements for the third associates degree I knew I had to take it. I didn't set out to earn a third associates it just happened, and obviously I wasn't going to turn down a free degree, no matter how pointless it is.

Same thing happened with how I earned the second associates. I actually only earned enough actual in class residency credits for one associates. But I had taken a few cleps along the way to meet some requirements. Because I took both liberal arts and occupational/technical courses I had basically met the requirements for both degrees. I just simply took an extra clep test right before graduation and then I had the second degree. I figured all this out on my own the counselors didn't tell me to do it. I just always see the opportunities, it's a strength of mine.

Actually I'm leaning towards NOT doing the second degree. That's what I said in an earlier reply. I'm just going to do the BSBA. But I'll still keep it as an option.

I did 19 credits once but it was all communication types courses so very easy courses compared to STEM.

Yes that is my plan to complete all requirements before the capstone. I think it is doable. Ive already finished all the quizzes on most of the study.com courses I need, I just need to do the assignments and finals.

You provided a lot of interesting thoughts. This is the kind of insight I appreciate on this forum.
There is no point to getting a more generic degree alongside/after one like a BSBA; the BALS just doesn't provide any extra value for the time and cost it will take to complete it.

Your money is almost always better spent getting the BSBA, and then following up later with a masters degree IF NECESSARY. It's not automatic.

Get the BSBA, then start looking for ways to get something out of it (besides knowledge). Raise/promotion at your current job, or a new job if you want. If at some point in the next few years you find that the BSBA isn't cutting it for some reason, then that's a good time to think about another degree. Again, only if needed. If you find your career taking off in a good direction, you may find that you don't need another degree ever. Or you may end up at a company that will pay for a degree. Or something...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 413 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 414 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  BALS Natural Sciences/Mathematics Clarification ACR1200 14 1,144 06-12-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  need help designing TESU BALS degree plan ece2001biz 8 1,098 02-06-2023, 12:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BALS(PSY) ragkrish 10 1,039 07-26-2022, 02:23 PM
Last Post: ragkrish
  Capstone BAlS desoren 6 968 06-10-2022, 02:41 PM
  Upper Level Options - BALS BSBRose21 13 1,616 05-21-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: BSBRose21
  BALS concentration or no Concentration desoren 4 924 09-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Last Post: desoren
  BALS - Humanities - Course suggestions Learnfordegree 13 1,970 09-23-2021, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Learnfordegree
  495 capstone BALS vs BA Mitmike2019 9 1,225 08-11-2021, 07:02 AM
Last Post: allvia