Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIG NEWS
Interesting news thanks. I have NA credits so EC looks the only place for me.
debrag Wrote:Interesting news thanks. I have NA credits so EC looks the only place for me.

That's great, Excelsior is one of a few that I would recommend, especially if you're going for a BSLA. If you're going for Business, Education, or IT, I would also suggest you check out WGU if you're in the US, if not then you can get your NA credits evaluated at UMPI for possible transfer...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-30-2021, 08:15 AM)debrag Wrote: Interesting news thanks. I have NA credits so EC looks the only place for me.

If you don't want a BALS, it may actually be faster, cheaper, and easier to redo some/all of those credits at Sophia, etc. in order to get a degree somewhere that is not EC.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-30-2021, 01:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
debrag Wrote:Interesting news thanks. I have NA credits so EC looks the only place for me.

That's great, Excelsior is one of a few that I would recommend, especially if you're going for a BSLA.  If you're going for Business, Education, or IT, I would also suggest you check out WGU if you're in the US, if not then you can get your NA credits evaluated at UMPI for possible transfer...

UMPI only accepts RA credit not NA.
Yeah, that's what I thought too, but UMPI seems more liberal in evaluating credit even though they are NA credit. I would still try going for UMPI if you have many NA credits. Reference to our previous chat here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid342611
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-30-2021, 02:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yeah, that's what I thought too, but UMPI seems more liberal in evaluating credit even though they are NA credit.  I would still try going for UMPI if you have many NA credits.  Reference to our previous chat here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid342611

That may have been a fluke. On the UMPI website it clearly states that they accept RA credit. Nothing about NA credit. I wouldn't expect them to take it in the future.
(10-30-2021, 08:15 AM)debrag Wrote: Interesting news thanks. I have NA credits so EC looks the only place for me.

It really depends - you need to look forward ("what does it take for me get a degree here in terms of cost/time") rather than backwards ("what credits that I've already taken will they accept?").

For EC, which won't take the CLEP/DSST for English Comp, for instance, if you have NA credits but wanted to test out of English that way, you're stuck.

Always look forwards.  Always create a degree plan showing how you can finish a degree, and what it will cost.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-30-2021, 02:04 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

If you don't want a BALS, it may actually be faster, cheaper, and easier to redo some/all of those credits at Sophia, etc. in order to get a degree somewhere that is not EC.

Not looking at a BALS. I have done a ton of Sophia credits already and have completed most of my gen ed with them, will need a few from SDC if I plan on going down the EC route.

I'm not US so can't do WGU. I'm not interested in a business degree, maybe natural science (ideally), history or psychology. I have looked at UMPI or EC mainly. Looking at what course I can do via SL, SDC etc to enrol somewhere next year.
If you want history, IMO, UMPI is your best bet. If you do decide on Psychology, EC isn't a bad choice. They do accept Coopersmith, so you shouldn't have much trouble getting UL Psych credits for an EC degree. I wouldn't suggest SL for courses that you can instead complete at Sophia. SDC can be a good option for some courses, though.

Definitely decide which one you want before you take any more classes, though. If you have a bunch of Sophia credits, you're probably only really lacking a foreign language and SDC's BIO 101L for UMPI. If you speak Spanish or French at some level, you should be able to get the required 6 foreign language credits with an ACTFL exam. I'm not sure if other languages would count for a History degree (they do count for other degrees). Otherwise, SDC's Spanish 101 & 102 will meet the history degree requirements.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-03-2021, 10:49 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you want history, IMO, UMPI is your best bet. If you do decide on Psychology, EC isn't a bad choice. They do accept Coopersmith, so you shouldn't have much trouble getting UL Psych credits for an EC degree. I wouldn't suggest SL for courses that you can instead complete at Sophia. SDC can be a good option for some courses, though.

Definitely decide which one you want before you take any more classes, though. If you have a bunch of Sophia credits, you're probably only really lacking a foreign language and SDC's BIO 101L for UMPI. If you speak Spanish or French at some level, you should be able to get the required 6 foreign language credits with an ACTFL exam. I'm not sure if other languages would count for a History degree (they do count for other degrees). Otherwise, SDC's Spanish 101 & 102 will meet the history degree requirements.

That's my thing, I don't really want to do a language lol. I've pretty much done all courses of worth on Sophia (18) so SL wouldn't be an issue.