Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIG News from UMPI
(10-22-2020, 04:11 PM)Maniac Craniac Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 03:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 02:08 PM)Maniac Craniac Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 12:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's pretty good, they're now competition for Brandman's program with the same name or WGU's MSML... not bad, more choices to choose from... just looking to see who is going to be cheaper/easier/faster to complete and hopefully in 2 terms for $2800 or 3 for $4200.
So, I haven't asked them for confirmation, but if you carefully read the Brandman website, it seems that you are not allowed to finish in one semester due to a limit in how many credits they let you take per each. If I read it correctly, then the potential is there to complete the UMIPI program both faster and cheaper than Brandman, if UMPI doesn't have the same restriction.

Back when I was considering Brandman, I meant to reach out to clarify that policy, but since other reasons led me in different directions, I never got around to asking. Maybe now is a good time, since I've already opened up my big mouth in this thread  Big Grin

UMPI does not have any restrictions on the maximum credits you can complete in a term. Terms are 8 weeks so there is no way 99% of the population will complete the 12 courses in just one term. UMPI is not on a semester basis. It's on terms. There are two 8 week terms back to back which line up with their on campus semester, but you are not in a semester.
Yes, I understand. By "semester" I meant term.

Speedrunning through CBE degrees is never an easy task. The winning strategy is to find out as much as you can about the program before it starts and studying  one's butt off beforehand. When I was considering Brandman, my plan was to get the physical text books used for the semester-based OL courses that correspond with the MyPath competencies, then wear them out via independent study, annotations, flash cards, etc. I figured that if I studied hard enough before enrolling, I'd just have to worry about the time required to complete assignments and take the exams.

UMPI doesn't have textbooks. All of the course content is in the course like a Sophia course. No outside books are needed at all. No point in studying your butt off because at least 90% of the courses in undergrad are papers/projects. Grad will be the same. I actually expect there to be fewer tests in the grad program.
(10-22-2020, 04:20 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 02:08 PM)Maniac Craniac Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 12:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's pretty good, they're now competition for Brandman's program with the same name or WGU's MSML... not bad, more choices to choose from... just looking to see who is going to be cheaper/easier/faster to complete and hopefully in 2 terms for $2800 or 3 for $4200.
So, I haven't asked them for confirmation, but if you carefully read the Brandman website, it seems that you are not allowed to finish in one semester due to a limit in how many credits they let you take per each. If I read it correctly, then the potential is there to complete the UMIPI program both faster and cheaper than Brandman, if UMPI doesn't have the same restriction.

Back when I was considering Brandman, I meant to reach out to clarify that policy, but since other reasons led me in different directions, I never got around to asking. Maybe now is a good time, since I've already opened up my big mouth in this thread  Big Grin

UMPI does not have any restrictions on the maximum credits you can complete in a term. Terms are 8 weeks so there is no way 99% of the population will complete the 12 courses in just one term. UMPI is not on a semester basis. It's on terms. There are two 8 week terms back to back which line up with their on campus semester, but you are not in a semester.

Speedrunning through CBE degrees is never an easy task. The winning strategy is to find out as much as you can about the program before it starts and studying  one's butt off beforehand. When I was considering Brandman, my plan was to get the physical text books used for the semester-based OL courses that correspond with the MyPath competencies, then wear them out via independent study, annotations, flash cards, etc. I figured that if I studied hard enough before enrolling, I'd just have to worry about the time required to complete assignments and take the exams.

UMPI doesn't have textbooks. All of the course content is in the course like a Sophia course. No outside books are needed at all. No point in studying your butt off because at least 90% of the courses in undergrad are papers/projects. Grad will be the same. I actually expect there to be fewer tests in the grad program.

I'm curious what the courses will actually be like in practice, it'll be pretty cool to have another MAOL option instead of Brandman

University of Maine sounds much better than Brandman University on a resume, lol
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
(10-22-2020, 06:11 PM)Thorne Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 04:20 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 02:08 PM)Maniac Craniac Wrote: So, I haven't asked them for confirmation, but if you carefully read the Brandman website, it seems that you are not allowed to finish in one semester due to a limit in how many credits they let you take per each. If I read it correctly, then the potential is there to complete the UMIPI program both faster and cheaper than Brandman, if UMPI doesn't have the same restriction.

I'm curious what the courses will actually be like in practice, it'll be pretty cool to have another MAOL option instead of Brandman

University of Maine sounds much better than Brandman University on a resume, lol

UMPI is all self contained. The course material is the class. In the modules, there's readings, videos, discussions, and quizzes. In many ways it's like Sophia and LinkedIn Learning joined together. Then you have a Final Assessment which is a project, paper, or exam. The professor decides which of the 3 there will be. They use the CBE platform from Strut Learning. Send me a PM if you have any questions. I attend UMPI as an undergrad. I'll signing up for this next summer. I'll share more info as it becomes available.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Thorne
Thanks for sharing about this, I'll be adding it to my list of programs to consider.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
Hi ss20ts,
UMPI's new master's is very interesting. But I'm wondering why they state you can earn in "as few as 18 months". If 100% of their program is 8 weeks then for someone who takes two classes per term, then it seems like a person can complete the program in as few as 10 months. Do you have any insight on this?
(10-29-2020, 11:01 AM)AZDan Wrote: Hi ss20ts,
UMPI's new master's is very interesting. But I'm wondering why they state you can earn in "as few as 18 months". If 100% of their program is 8 weeks then for someone who takes two classes per term, then it seems like a person can complete the program in as few as 10 months. Do you have any insight on this?

2 courses per term makes you a full-time student as an undergrad. That may be different and typically is for grad students. Everyone doesn't have the time to be a full-time student. They don't base it on being a full-time student. My program says it will take me 2 years to complete. It will take me 4 terms, but I also am not taking 2 classes per term. I'm doing 4 minimum. Depending when you start the program and how many courses you take each term will determine how long it will take you. There are 6 8 week terms a year. There is a month long break from December into January so you need to add in those breaks.
  • Pikachu
I sent an email to UMPI to ask them my question about expected time lengths. I am glad you posted this because it is now causing me to reconsider my plan of going to UTPB or LSUS for an MBA. The only hesitation is your comment about all the writing required.
(10-29-2020, 06:54 PM)AZDan Wrote: I sent an email to UMPI to ask them my question about expected time lengths. I am glad you posted this because it is now causing me to reconsider my plan of going to UTPB or LSUS for an MBA. The only hesitation is your comment about all the writing required.

To my knowledge, all CBE programs have a decent amount of writing. Most graduate programs have a very good amount of writing. Even in undergrad, I've written probably a few thousand pages. Writing is part of the learning process.
I've been really enjoying my classes at UMPI. They're very informative and for the most part the staff is communicative. The assessments aren't out of scope to what they are teaching you. I am considering doing this masters after my BA with them. $12k for a masters is a steal.
(01-28-2021, 12:31 PM)ashkir Wrote: I've been really enjoying my classes at UMPI. They're very informative and for the most part the staff is communicative. The assessments aren't out of scope to what they are teaching you. I am considering doing this masters after my BA with them. $12k for a masters is a steal.

My master's won't cost me $12K. I plan to complete it in 3 terms so $6,000. I did my bachelor's degree in 3 terms and it was more courses. I start March 15th - 3 days after this term ends. LOL Once that's competed, I'm off to Purdue Global for a CBE MBA. They will accept up to 12 credits of graduate credit as transfer credit.  

It's only $12K if it takes you 6 terms. It may take less and it may take more. All depends on the student. 
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March 2024 - News, News, and more News! bjcheung77 1 171 03-16-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Seattle and Sydney Student News... bjcheung77 1 167 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM
  Feb 2024 - Acquisitions and News bjcheung77 1 185 02-15-2024, 06:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 243 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 438 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,427 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 18,853 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
  Late News: ECPI ABET bjcheung77 2 1,010 04-16-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UMPI---Financial aid??? midnite123 4 682 01-15-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Comp 2 umpi yourpace Mike Williams 3 680 01-01-2023, 09:57 PM