Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOG AAS v TESU ASNSM CS
I've come across posts about BOG AAS degrees, and I think this could be something that I'm looking for. I do not need a BS degree anytime soon, an AAS might even cover me another decade. I just can't keep having an empty "Education" section of my resume.
I also came across onlinedegree.com, and if you add up all the courses it appears every one of them line up with the "general" courses and electives for a total of 44CR. That would be plenty, with the 15 requirement from a B&M filling out the rest for an emphasis.
I've read through many forms, I just want to make sure I have everything straight. Is onlinedegree a good option? They appear to be free minus the $9 testing fee, and sounds like they are fairly quick. Would SDY.com or SL be a better all around, cost not withstanding? Anyone have any experience or ideas with getting the RA credits from a school fast/cheap, preferably in CS, Electronics, Robots, etc? My new job will do tuition reimbursement if need be. I wouldn't mind taking a handful of decent course at a B&M CC online or in person if my work flips the bill.

Thanks so much, you guys have really opened my eyes to the possibility of actually getting a degree without the debt and the time.

Another thing I am trying to determine, would all of the onlinedegree.com courses transfer and hit most of the criteria for TESU CS? I wouldn't mind taking all of the CS programming courses. For whatever reason, my head wants to go to onlinedegree.com as much as possible. If I can knock 44 out of 60 for TESU like I can BOG then it may a better option. Here are the onlinedegree courses for reference:

Environmental Science- Climate Change & the Cyrosphere — (EV103)

Economics- Introduction to Microeconomics — (EC101)

Criminal Justice- Cybersecurity & Cybercrime — (CJ103)

Nutrition & Health- Body Sculpting With Diet & Exercise — (NU102)

History- Turning Points in Modern History — (HS103)

Psychology- Introduction to Psychology — (PS101)

Healthcare- Introduction to Public Health — (HC101)

Education- Language & Literacy in Education — (ED102)

Astronomy- Introduction to Cosmology — (AS101)

Robotics- Introduction to Robotics — (RB101)

Computer Science – Introduction to Programming — (CS101)

Business- Introduction to Marketing & Strategy — (BS101)

Biology- Organisms and Ecosystems — (BG101)

Cooking- Introduction to Culinary Skills — (CK101)

Business- Introduction to Accounting & Finance — (BS102)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
TESU is WAY more expensive than a BOG AAS, which is practically free, so I'm going to go with that.  At Pierpont, all you need is a 1cr course for roughly $400, and you are done (all other credits can be brought it, and they're way easier to meet the requirements than TESU).

I don't know if they take NCCRS (which OnlineDegree is), but they take ACE.  You can knock out 59cr with ACE, do the 1cr with Pierpont, and you're done.  No other fees to pay.

TESU will cost $4285, 10x as much as Pierpont.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Forgot that you need 12cr of graded courses from an RA school.  If you can get that cheaply, it's still a good idea.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-10-2020, 09:35 PM)xicovu Wrote: I've come across posts about BOG AAS degrees, and I think this could be something that I'm looking for. I do not need a BS degree anytime soon, an AAS might even cover me another decade. I just can't keep having an empty "Education" section of my resume.
I also came across onlinedegree.com, and if you add up all the courses it appears every one of them line up with the "general" courses and electives for a total of 44CR. That would be plenty, with the 15 requirement from a B&M filling out the rest for an emphasis.

So here is my game plan, I think it would fit for TESU or BOG AAS. It uses my MCSA/VCP certs for 18 or credit hours, and then almost all the rest onlinedegree.com. I plan on doing the math credit at Saylor as math is all the same, unless I do BOG and then I'll just use two science.

The only detail I need if I went the BOG route would be how to get the 15 credit RA. Basic cost estimate BOG vs TESU would be something like:

BOG: $300 transfer fee + $130 enrollment fee = $440 base cost
Onlinedegree.com for 15 courses/44CR = $135
Total for 45CR for AAS = $575
Any idea for the RA credit?
15 credit hours est RA B&M $900-$1500/course
$2700 - $4500
Total- $3275 to $5075

TESU:
Residency Fee: $2800
AS Portfolio: $509
Any misc?
Total: $3309

Attached Files
.xlsx   AAS CS Plan.xlsx (Size: 10.92 KB / Downloads: 4)

It looks like you're not comparing apples-to-apples: you have online degree courses at Pierpont but not at TESU? Also, I'm not sure you can submit portfolios at TESU without taking the Portfolio courses first (check on that, if so, it's $1131 additional).

Pierpont BOG/AAS
No idea what that $300 transfer fee and $130 enrollment fee came from (I've never heard those before) - probably subtract those
No onlinedegree, as those are NCCRS, so switch to MS/CLEP for free
12cr RA coursework at NMJC or in-state CC if the price is better 12x$69=$828
1cr at Pierpont $488
Total $1316

TESU
Cornerstone $1131 w/Study.com discount
Study.com $199 for 1 month/2 courses
Residency Waiver $2800
Online Degree $135
Total $4265
This does not include portfolio, which would be an additional $509 or $1131+$509
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@xicovu - Where are you getting MCSA/VCP certs equaling 18 credit hours, and for which school(s)?  

I understand that you're trying to go from nothing to something quickly, but honestly the investment of extra time and money difference would be very minimal if you just go for a bachelor degree (and far easier to plan out).  If you're insistent on getting an associates (in route) to a bachelor then COSC is currently the only logical option if you're starting from nothing. However that will not get you a degree with "Computer" in the program; no CIS in the BSBA (vs TESU BSBS-CIS) and the associates would only be a generic associates degree (vs TESU's ASNSM in Computer Science)

With the sound of your experience you would truly benefit with getting all the ACE Gen Eds you can to transfer into WGU (you can transfer up to 90 credits), and WGU does give credit for some IT certifications - depending on the program, (as many of their bachelor IT programs the 'final exams' is earning XYZ Certification) look at all and see which certs work in which degree plan they offer to help expedite your timeline.

EDIT: Also important at WGU you can use your company reimbursement very easily - very possible the tuition reimbursement would cover the entire expense if you plan your start date right (assuming the corp tax cap of $5,250 annual standard)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

ACE includes all three tests of the MCSA as a credit, I'm not sure if it's 3 per or 2 per, so it's from 6 to 9. I found another school that counts VCP for Computer Architecture and Networking. for 6 total there, but I'd have to show that as a portfolio credit. That should put me at 15-18 assuming everything transfers.

So, you've read my previous post in your other thread recommending the ASNSM Comp Sci... If you're just going for an Associates right now, go for the COSC AS instead. Equally easy & fast, but cheaper. You just need to take 1 course from them, the Cornerstone which is an easy A. The rest, transfer them in through Onlinedegree.com and the FREE credits on the wiki, just subscribe to Study.com to get your English and other requirements not offered by Onlinedegree.com
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Yes I did. You've been really helpful. I know I seem pretty flighty with my plans, but I am going through them to see what would be most useful. One question with COSC, for electives, I'm assuming I could transfer in study.com programming electives I might find useful and any other ACE electives I may be able to get for certs?

(02-11-2020, 03:05 PM)xicovu Wrote: Yes I did. You've been really helpful. I know I seem pretty flighty with my plans, but I am going through them to see what would be most useful. One question with COSC, for electives, I'm assuming I could transfer in study.com programming electives I might find useful and any other ACE electives I may be able to get for certs?

Yes, TESU has the most restrictions on amount of credits and certificates they accept. For your example of study.com programming courses or other CS/CIS courses, or certs, COSC would accept it more. In fact, you should email COSC and see how many credits are available for the Google IT Support Professional cert that can be completed within a month at just $49 for a max of 12 credits! You should also do all the FREE credits on the wiki as they will come in as free electives, another 10 credits for the TEEX cybersecurity courses. You can finish the rest with Study.com and Onlinedegree.com for cheap/easy/fast.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Man, you're really, really good at this! So, here's the mostly finalized game plan:

COSC AS General Studies:

44 Onlinedegree.com/Study.com

15 IT Google Support Cert (I'm a SysAdmin with waaay more past this, should be a breeze)

OR

I have handful or coursera courses already, Google Cloud course certificates, close to the whole Cloud Engineering w/Google Cloud Pro Cert which would probably work just as the Google Support Cert

OR

VMware VCP-DCV, which really should count as 6

Much thanks my friend.

What about perhaps taking all of the WGU "core course" from an IT degree? Most can be found on SL/SD/Saylor. It would almost make it a "de facto" AS in IT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 927 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 838 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,158 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,234 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,066 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Places to park electronics + computer PLA credits (BOG AAS + TESU AAS) xicovu 17 1,522 09-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: xicovu
  Workload at Excelsior & TESU clarissa23 4 1,083 06-15-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BACS v.s. SNHU BSCS npvn2 25 3,870 03-20-2022, 09:44 PM
Last Post: npvn2
  Colleges like TESU which allows enrolment of one year without obligation? FrHaseKopf 9 1,233 02-12-2022, 12:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  CUNY BS-IS VS TESU BSBA-GM JC39 34 5,477 02-07-2022, 05:31 PM
Last Post: MrPanda