Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS Computer Science
(08-20-2017, 04:48 PM)ajs1976 Wrote: I don't see Calc 1 & 2 on your list.

I would suggest you look at the BA in CS at TESU, and the IT and IT software development tracks at WGU. I'm not a developer/programer, but I know a Computer Science degree is more important in that specialty then it is in Server/Infrastructure Engineering and in Info Sec.

For the BACS at TESU, it looks like you would have a good amount of the Gen Ed requirements covered and could use free and cheap alternate credit requirements to finish them off cheap and quickly. For the AOS, assuming you left of the Calc classes, it looks like you completed the general AOS requirements. You need 12 UL AOS electives. 3 can come from DSST MIS and 3 more from DSST Cybersecurity. One of the TEEX courses come in to AOS as an electives, but even if it is UL it is only 2 credits, so you end up taking another course to fill in. You would then need 6 more UL credits. Those would need to be from TESU or another 4 year school. they need to be CS (abbreviated COS at TESU) or CIS. CMP classes, such as the Network TECEP, will not count towards the BACS AOS. Some LL can be used in the AOS of study. Some of your current credits may go there. Programming at Straighterline may be an option depending on how your other courses transfer. Not sure if Software Engineering at Saylor is transferring as LL or UL. PLA may also be an option. Look at davewill's signature for more info. Capstone will need to be taken at TESU.

WGU will evaluate your credits, but once you start the program, you can not transfer in outside credit. Enroll, get the eval, and then take some more and get them transferred in and add them to the eval.

I guess I took to long to replay. Two more showed up while I was typing Smile

(08-20-2017, 04:28 PM)sanantone Wrote: [quote pid='240486' dateline='1503222797']
Also, WGU is becoming quite well-known as an online, extremely non-traditional school, which is not always a good thing. I don't like bring up the school with college instructors because they usually know someone who was a mentor at WGU and had mostly bad things to say.

Quote:Do they not like it because of the perceived low quality and issues with how people accelerate through the competency based model or is t because WGU is disruptor and threatening the current paradigm of higher education?

From what I've heard, they think the students are of low quality, and they aren't getting any instruction.

WGU is just a check-the-box school just like most of the other schools we talk about here. It shouldn't be presented as anything more than that, but it has by at least one person. It's misleading. WGU is not going to impress anyone; it simply meets degree requirements.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • ajs1976
Sanantone - thanks for the reply.  I have more thoughts, but i'm going to stop, so that I don't continue to derail the OPs thread.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

(08-20-2017, 05:41 PM)ajs1976 Wrote: Sanantone - thanks for the reply.  I have more thoughts, but i'm going to stop, so that I don't continue to derail the OPs thread.

You can start a new thread or send me a PM.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thanks. I took Calc 1 and 2 w distance learning at North Dakota University and mistakenly left them off my list. After seeing the advice, I think I will start with the DSST MIS and Cyber security since that works for all: WGU Software Development, Fort Hayes State University - Computer Science and Thomas Edison State University - BA Computer Science. I have 4 D's from a traditional university, do I have any hope for these to transfer to one (or all) of these schools?
(08-20-2017, 06:21 PM)bollwegfam Wrote: Thanks. I took Calc 1 and 2 w distance learning at North Dakota University and mistakenly left them off my list. After seeing the advice, I think I will start with the DSST MIS and Cyber security since that works for all: WGU Software Development, Fort Hayes State University - Computer Science and Thomas Edison State University - BA Computer Science. I have 4 D's from a traditional university, do I have any hope for these to transfer to one (or all) of these schools?

TESU will take D's, as long as the courses aren't in your AOS (major) or in English Comp I & II. Which courses did you get D's in?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Another thing to wonder about is when you say you're looking for a new job with a higher salary, are you thinking in terms of programming or management?

Tech is my industry, and I know quite a few people (myself included) who have struggled to find other tech people who also have good management skills and can translate 'tech speak' between business people and computer people.

If moving into management is what you are looking at, you might think about a business degree with an IT concentration.
[-] The following 1 user Likes txnicole's post:
  • Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,964 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,544 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  TESU - BA in Computer Science Gone? MrBossmanJr 5 1,701 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BA Computer Science nyvrem 5 2,481 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU ASNSM/BALS w Computer Science thewupk 1 1,204 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,358 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
Sad TESU has stopped offering a BA in Computer Science? johnw 14 3,281 04-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  COSC Science Lab -- ed4credit accepted? stampbuyme 7 1,783 04-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Science Lab Requirement ? stampbuyme 7 2,549 04-10-2018, 02:05 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  BS degree in fire science frankshorey 5 1,720 04-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun