Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS IT Security at Western Governors University (WGU BSITSECU) Strategy help
It does feel like it's speeding up as I'm getting more and more comfortable with the interface and keyboard shortcuts. I'll likely push through this couse and be more mindful of the initial assessment now that I know how much of an impact it has on the overall course duration. I appreciate everyone's help as I get started on this journey!
timmmay Wrote:It does feel like it's speeding up as I'm getting more and more comfortable with the interface and keyboard shortcuts. I'll likely push through this couse and be more mindful of the initial assessment now that I know how much of an impact it has on the overall course duration. I appreciate everyone's help as I get started on this journey!

Work a little more on the topics and in the Master Account, request a new assessment. Do that every few topics you complete. It'll be "faster".
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you everyone for the advice in this thread so far. I went ahead and powered through both intermediate and college algebra before the previous June 30 ACE cutoff deadline. I now see that it is extended at least until the end of July, and thought I would take a peek at ALEKS Intro to Statistics. WOW, it looks tough! Going through the transfer guidelines at https://partners.wgu.edu/transferguidelines , I see that their C459 Intro to Probability and Statistics can be substituted with "One course in Statistics or a course at a level higher than College Algebra (Calculus, Trigonometry, Linear Algebra)." Does anyone have any experience with Business Statistics or Trigonometry offered at ALEKS? I still have about 10 days on my first month and would like to be able to knock this out, and intro to stats doesn't look possible for me to do in time. Thank you!
Precalculus and Trigonometry are much easier than the Statistics course. I finished Beginner, Intermediate, College Algebra and Precalculus, Trigonometry all in one month.... But crashed at Stats, I even tried my hand in all three offered at ALEKS. Got so bummed, I took Straighterline Intro To Statistics (Same course as Saylor as they share the course) but ended with a 65%. I noticed Straighterline had a Business Statistics course, took it as a last resort type of thing, passed with an 85%.
TLDR, take both the Precalculus and Trigometry if you can cram it in 10 days, take the Business Stats at Straighterline OR Study.com Intro to Stats.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thumbs Up 
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to stop in to say hi, and give a quick update on my process. Eleven months ago I was fired up about getting a degree through WGU and was able to complete the three ACE transferable classes through ALEKS before their certification lapsed. WGU then released a new degree, BS in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, which was more in line with my current skill set and interests. I began to reformulate my plan for transfer credits, and also prepare for a new baby (Surprise! oops, haha) so I had to put off actual enrollment. Fast forward a bit, and I was able to get my CISSP certification, and also the CCNA Cyber Ops certification that was offered through a CISCO scholarship, and now my first term at WGU starts in two and a half weeks! Some transfer info: CISSP covered four classes, CCENT and CyberOps covered a class, CCNA covered a class, and ALEKS/ACE credits knocked out all three math class requirements. It's been almost a year now, and hopefully after another trip around the sun, I'll have my degree!

Thank you to everyone for your help in all of this!
[-] The following 3 users Like timmmay's post:
  • justdavey, Life_One, quigongene
Just wanted to follow up on this fine Christmas day. I passed my final class at WGU two days ago. It took me just under 8 months to complete the program there. I came away with a bunch of certifications and a renewed disinterest for writing papers. I've even come across some members from this site that are currently kicking ass in the Cybersecurity program at WGU. Overall it has been an incredible experience for me. I appreciate the format of the education they offer. I have kids, a job, a busy life, but I also have years of experience that allowed me to "accelerate" my progress. It was a fantasy that I was sure would never happen for me, but after accidentally stumbling across this website and it's active community, I'm now a college graduate. I started to realize that I was doing it for my kids, as much as I was for myself. As far back as I can go on my mom's side of the family, not one person went past highschool, if they made it that far. My dad's mom had a nursing degree, and she was the only one I could find who went to college. It's a strange feeling, but I'm so glad that I decided to go for it. If anyone has any questions about my experience at WGU, feel free to ask. And again I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to this community!
[-] The following 6 users Like timmmay's post:
  • allvia, jsd, Life_One, Merlin, quigongene, Sapientes
Congrats on your degree!!
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Congrats, fellow alumnus!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Give that new grad a healing helping of Awesome Sauce!!!!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thanks everyone!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Western Governors University dewisant 10 1,393 03-17-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  WGU - Network Engineering and Security B.S. Which path should I take? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 4 617 11-11-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Brandon.Thomas.Downer
  Career Question, Business Management or Cyber Security? Oneautumn7 22 1,592 08-06-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Oneautumn7
  WGU Computer Science degree vs Cyber security indigoshuffle 8 2,149 01-10-2023, 10:01 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  New BS in Network Engineering & Security on its way raekwon 12 2,658 07-05-2022, 03:36 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  I'm done (again)!! BS IT Security, WGU jsd 14 7,810 08-21-2018, 10:45 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New Goal: BS IT-Security at WGU. jsd 128 29,062 04-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Documenting My Journey: WGU BSIT-Security Thorne 79 21,785 01-24-2018, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Thorne
  Western Governors University accounting program? jrmorgan2011 1 1,162 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Western Governors University IrishJohn 26 4,016 09-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Last Post: OE800_85