Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS Management plan for TESU
Hi folks, I'm pretty new to the topic. I recently got a job offer to teach Arabic as a second language, but a bachelor ( any) is required. So I'm definitely willing to complete it, the quickest way possible. 
I have 30 credits earned in a Texas RA comm college in 2016 (on campus) + 2 CLEP tests, French & Spanish.
Classes I  took are:
Eng comp 1
Eng comp 2
History 1
History 2
College algebra
Texas Gov
Federal Gov
Business principles
Principles of macroeconomics
Principles of microeconomics

I plan for a BS in Management at TESU (COSC?) Although I do this for the teaching job, any bachelor will do the work, but if that works I'd like to do a masters in sports Management because I've been managing/coaching tennis for over 10 years.
Can you guys help me with a courses plan?
What courses I need to take to complete the general courses electives? 
I'm ready to use study.com, sophia, take CLEPS, DSST. 

Your suggestions please.

I work FT and have kids, but certainly I have 5 hours a day for studying. 

TYVM
You mentioned you have a job offer in hand. Do you need your degree by a certain date?
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
Here you go: Degree Plan Links (least amount of written assignments and/or essays):
BALS/BSBA Double Degree Template as of November 2020: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
BALS/BSBA Double Degree using 5 TECEPS as of Jan 2021: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
Before you begin, since you're in Texas - You should review this post first: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid336108
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Actually, you are pretty perfectly poised for a UMPI Management & Leadership degree: https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-busi...rship.aspx

Check out this post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222

At a quick look, you'd want to do the following at Sophia:
Introduction to Business (Your Business Principles might meet this requirement, but this is relatively quick and easy to do.)
Introduction to Sociology
Accounting
Introduction to Ethics (Take Greek Philosophers first)
Communication at work
Environmental Science
Art History I
Business Law
+ 5 more Sophia courses. Relatively easy ones are: Intro to Web Development, Visual Communications, Conflict Management, Human Biology, Introduction to Information Technology, Conflict Resolution.

From Study.com, take: Biology 101L:
Intro to Biology with Lab
Business 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior

At InstantCert.com, take Managerial Accounting.

Do not apply to UMPI first. They are a bit weird in that you're counted as enrolled almost immediately after applying. You'd need to get permission to bring in outside courses after you apply. The next application deadline is June 21st. If you start now, you should easily make it.

Do Study.com first. The classes are quick but it will take some time for the exams to be graded. When you start Sophia, do Communication at Work first. That one has 1 assignment that needs to be graded. It's short and should be graded within a couple of days, but it's best to start with it anyway. The other suggested courses do not have any assignments, just quizzes & exams (Challenges & Milestones).
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • MrPanda
(05-13-2021, 06:08 PM)freeloader Wrote: You mentioned you have a job offer in hand. Do you need your degree by a certain date?

Not officially in hand, but the degree is the obstacle. 
I believe I have 9-12 months as a maximum.

(05-13-2021, 06:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Here you go: Degree Plan Links (least amount of written assignments and/or essays):
BALS/BSBA Double Degree Template as of November 2020: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
BALS/BSBA Double Degree using 5 TECEPS as of Jan 2021: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
Before you begin, since you're in Texas - You should review this post first: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid336108
Thanks for the links, I will check them. 
I'm not in the US anymore, I'm back to my home. I was in Texas for 2 semesters in 2015-2016.

(05-13-2021, 06:22 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Actually, you are pretty perfectly poised for a UMPI Management & Leadership degree: https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-busi...rship.aspx

Check out this post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222

At a quick look, you'd want to do the following at Sophia:
Introduction to Business (Your Business Principles might meet this requirement, but this is relatively quick and easy to do.)
Introduction to Sociology
Accounting
Introduction to Ethics (Take Greek Philosophers first)
Communication at work
Environmental Science
Art History I
Business Law
+ 5 more Sophia courses. Relatively easy ones are: Intro to Web Development, Visual Communications, Conflict Management, Human Biology, Introduction to Information Technology, Conflict Resolution.

From Study.com, take: Biology 101L:
Intro to Biology with Lab
Business 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior

At InstantCert.com, take Managerial Accounting.

Do not apply to UMPI first. They are a bit weird in that you're counted as enrolled almost immediately after applying. You'd need to get permission to bring in outside courses after you apply. The next application deadline is June 21st. If you start now, you should easily make it.

Do Study.com first. The classes are quick but it will take some time for the exams to be graded. When you start Sophia, do Communication at Work first. That one has 1 assignment that needs to be graded. It's short and should be graded within a couple of days, but it's best to start with it anyway. The other suggested courses do not have any assignments, just quizzes & exams (Challenges & Milestones).
Thanks Rachel for the plan, I appreciate it. So the courses you mentioned are only what I need to complete the 60 general credits right? 
Would any of my RA earned credits count for the area of study required credits? Microeconomics and macroeconomics? Business principles? Would they grant me credit for both French and Spanish CLEP or just one?
So am I correct, I need  finish the general credits then start with area of study?
Last question please, since I can speak fluently 4 languages, is there a degree that would best fit for me? 

TYVM
Hmm, you're looking at a double degree plan and my plan I linked you would work, the only thing you need to change is, the UL/LL requirements for the BALS to your language exams.  I would focus on doing the BSBA General Management and prepare for the ACTFL exam for two of your languages.  What languages do you know besides English? You need to know it really well to score Upper Level credits.

You should do a search for ACTFL and read through all the threads of info, basically you can transfer your entire BALS degree area of study with two language exams.  Here's another link: TESU Transfer Policy: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Explained  This is what I propose for you, about the same as I proposed for this person: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid332997
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I second UMPI, although I might suggest the BLS w/Management Minor instead - I think it will be easier to do, and give you more leeway in terms of being able to use your foreign language credits (the BLS allows for 62cr of Free Electives while the BABA w/Management allows for 18-21cr, and you have 18cr worth now).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACTFL exams are available and you can rack up a TON of credits (ACE-approved):

OPIc (Oral exam via computer) $108 each - scoring Advanced High/Superior is worth 6cr of LL and 6cr of UL, available in Spanish, French and Arabic
OPI (Oral exam via person) $165 each - scoring Advanced High/Superior is worth 6cr of LL and 6cr of UL, available in Spanish, French and Arabic
OPI and OPIc duplicate each other, you can choose one or the other

WPT (Written Proficiency Test) $108 each - scoring Advanced High/Superior is worth 6cr of LL and 6cr of UL, available in Spanish, French and Arabic

LPT (Listening Proficiency Test) $51 each - scoring Advanced Low/Superior is worth 6cr of LL, available in Spanish and French

RPT (Reading Proficiency Test) $51 each - scoring Advanced High/Superior is worth 6cr of LL, available in Spanish and French

I'd contact UMPI and ask about these exams, and if they'll give credit, I might send them the ACE National Guide pages for them - and then make sure they won't duplicate the CLEP exams, that they won't duplicate each other, and just generally what you can expect after taking these.  It will be THE fastest way for you to earn credit, no ifs ands or buts.  You could do the OPIc exams for all 3 languages tomorrow and get 36cr in a single day!

https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...Active%22)
https://www.languagetesting.com/certifications-tests
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding your credit, you listed History I & II, but didn't say what kind of history that was.  If it's US History, that would be great.  Let us know.

Regarding CLEP, you didn't say what your score was or when you took the exams, and that makes a difference on how many credits you get.  I'd list that info.

Prior to 2/28/2015 - scoring 50 or higher on French was worth 6cr; scoring 59 or higher was worth 12cr
Starting 3/1/15, it was 6cr or 9cr for the same scores
Prior to 2/28/2015 - scoring 50 or higher on Spanish was worth 6cr; scoring 63 or higher was worth 12cr
Starting 3/1/15, it was 6cr or 9cr for the same scores

If you opt for the BLS, assuming your history courses were US History, you'd only need to take Sophia's Art History, Environmental Science, and Intro to Ethics; Study.com's Biology w/lab and either World Religions or Sociology; and then get and easy 27cr of ACTFL Foreign Language credits - and you're ready to enroll at UMPI and start.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-13-2021, 06:28 PM)TennisCoach Wrote: Thanks Rachel for the plan, I appreciate it. So the courses you mentioned are only what I need to complete the 60 general credits right? 
Would any of my RA earned credits count for the area of study required credits? Microeconomics and macroeconomics? Business principles? Would they grant me credit for both French and Spanish CLEP or just one?
So am I correct, I need  finish the general credits then start with area of study?
Last question please, since I can speak fluently 4 languages, is there a degree that would best fit for me? 

TYVM

The courses I mentioned account for the credits you already have. This is absolutely the cheapest way to get a management degree. Almost certainly also the fastest as well.

You might be able to get a Liberal Studies degree slightly more quickly at TESU using ACTFL (foreign language) credits but you'd pay at least twice as much to do so. TESU is $7k+ if you want to finish quickly and easily vs. UMPI's ~$3200. And it wouldn't be the management degree that you said you wanted. But if you don't think that a competency-based degree is right for you, TESU would probably be the easiest way to go about getting a degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
TESU has a foreign language degree, but it's based on other things, including history and literature in that language.

If you just want as many foreign language credits as possible, and to be able to use those, then taking ACTFL exams and bringing in that ACE credit to UMPI will be the fastest, best option; another good option is EC, although it will cost more.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-13-2021, 07:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, you're looking at a double degree plan and my plan I linked you would work, the only thing you need to change is, the UL/LL requirements for the BALS to your language exams.  I would focus on doing the BSBA General Management and prepare for the ACTFL exam for two of your languages.  What languages do you know besides English? You need to know it really well to score Upper Level credits.

You should do a search for ACTFL and read through all the threads of info, basically you can transfer your entire BALS degree area of study with two language exams.  Here's another link: TESU Transfer Policy: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Explained  This is what I propose for you, about the same as I proposed for this person: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid332997
I will check the plan you proposed. Although I have very poor knowledge about all these stuff, but I'll do my best to decide and step in. I'm just stressed I start taking courses in SDC and Sophia that would 't count for the degree I'll choose or will delay my graduation, because I need to graduate the quickest way possible. 
Yes, I do speak 3 other languages besides English. Arabic (Native), French (Fluent) and Spanish (Fluent).

Thanks for all the valuable info.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 70 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 76 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 70 04-23-2024, 11:36 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 577 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 122 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 624 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 249 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 253 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 205 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 373 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM