BS SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
(06-24-2020, 02:44 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 11:07 PM)akr680 Wrote: Thank you

CompTIA A+ - I should study
CompTIA Project+ - This course is done from SDC
CIW User Interface Designer - I should study
Oracle Database SQL - This course is done from SDC
ITIL1 Foundation - I did SDC (MIS) course

If you haven't seen it already, check out the Skillsoft/Percipio offer in the free section. I'm not sure about CIW but they definitely have CompTIA stuff.

Sure, I will check out Skillsoft. Thank you
------------------

.pdf   WGU Transfer Eval.pdf (Size: 41.45 KB / Downloads: 52)
.pdf   WGU Transfer Eval.pdf (Size: 41.45 KB / Downloads: 52) Hi All 
First of all I want bow down to the members of this forum and say a big Thank You for helping me complete a bachelor degree in software development from  WGU .
I was a lurker in this forum for 8 long years. When I joined this forum, I had just completed a 2 year diploma in web development from a local community college. I could not bring myself to do general education using the traditional online program. I read about the various alternate credit courses on this forum, and got enrolled in Straighterline. I slowly collected all the general education credits to transfer back to my community college to earn an associate in web development. I did Clep for College Algebra and English Composition with Essay. Most of the other general education credits, I earned through Straighterline. It took 5 long years just to buckle up and complete my general education credits. Once I got my associates, I started applying to WGU. First they would only transfer 37 credits. Later they transferred 57 credits.

So I enrolled in the program Dec 2019 and somehow manage to complete 65 credits in 6 months earning my degree.
I was working full time from home the whole time. But I was pretty obsessed. Also a bit about my background. I have been working as a developer using Access VBA, Sql server for more than 15 years. I had basic proficiency in C#, and knowledge of Java, Html,css etc since I had done the web development diploma course from my community college.I also love software and programming. I made sure I completed all the general education courses that I did not like, and got them transferred in either through community college or straighterline course. So I had to just complete IT and software related courses in WGU. 
 Another interesting event was, before I joined WGU, I did the WGU Academy that has opened around late 2019. I wanted to get a feel before diving into WGU. Though I did not get to transfer credits from WGU Academy, I got what I was looking for, which was a general feel for the WGU courses. I thought the WGU Academy was much more generous than Straighterline as WGU Academy was almost the same format as SL except that WGU Academy gave you three chances to pass instead of just one in Straighterline. I completed the PACA program in WGU, completed one MTA database certification, and got exposure to Comptia Training material before I transferred into WGU.
I am attaching my initial transfer eval and also my post transcript.

I would definitely recommend completing the SQL Server equivalent for the Oracle Sql Developer course, because that can be a real difficult course. I manage to do it in a month since I had sql server background. However, if I had known that this was such as difficult course, I would have done the SQL Server equivalent of it and transferred it in. People spend almost a year sometimes doing that course. There is an entire slack channel just devoted to that course alone.

Apart from that, I think I managed to get through all the courses in 3 weeks or so. I took 6 weeks for the capstone.
I started with the Comptia Exams and completed them in 6 weeks. Then I did the Database intro that took a week.
After that I did the Oracle exam that took almost a month. But while waiting for my second attempt, I completed a CIW Web course that had 6 credits but was quite easy. After that I think, I picked up pace and managed to do courses within a week or two. I took 2 weeks each for for the software 1 and 2, 3 weeks for mobile app and 6 weeks for capstone. I really stalled in the capstone. My capstone instructor was really supportive and kind and slowly nudged me towards completion.

So if you have some similar background as mine, you should definitely apply for the software degree course in WGU.
It is definitely possible to complete the degree in one term. I have ADD, and had a huge problem trying to complete the courses related to Math/Chemistry/Statistics . I remember reading Merlin's posts related to the same. 
It was cookderosa's post on Straighterline that actually got me started on Chemistry which I was really dreading.
Bicheung77  's posts helped me as well. Also another person who inspired me for WGU was @quigongene who also completed his degree in record time.

So thank you all for your help through the years. You are doing a huge service for people like me.
Thank you again

Attached Files
.pdf   Wgu degree completed courses.pdf (Size: 72.87 KB / Downloads: 26)
[-] The following 2 users Like lalrag's post:
  • akr680, GizmoJack
(06-27-2020, 12:46 AM)lalrag Wrote: Hi All 
First of all I want bow down to the members of this forum and say a big Thank You for helping me complete a bachelor degree in software development from  WGU .
I was a lurker in this forum for 8 long years. When I joined this forum, I had just completed a 2 year diploma in web development from a local community college. I could not bring myself to do general education using the traditional online program. I read about the various alternate credit courses on this forum, and got enrolled in Straighterline. I slowly collected all the general education credits to transfer back to my community college to earn an associate in web development. I did Clep for College Algebra and English Composition with Essay. Most of the other general education credits, I earned through Straighterline. It took 5 long years just to buckle up and complete my general education credits. Once I got my associates, I started applying to WGU. First they would only transfer 37 credits. Later they transferred 57 credits.

So I enrolled in the program Dec 2019 and somehow manage to complete 65 credits in 6 months earning my degree.
I was working full time from home the whole time. But I was pretty obsessed. Also a bit about my background. I have been working as a developer using Access VBA, Sql server for more than 15 years. I had basic proficiency in C#, and knowledge of Java, Html,css etc since I had done the web development diploma course from my community college.I also love software and programming. I made sure I completed all the general education courses that I did not like, and got them transferred in either through community college or straighterline course. So I had to just complete IT and software related courses in WGU. 
 Another interesting event was, before I joined WGU, I did the WGU Academy that has opened around late 2019. I wanted to get a feel before diving into WGU. Though I did not get to transfer credits from WGU Academy, I got what I was looking for, which was a general feel for the WGU courses. I thought the WGU Academy was much more generous than Straighterline as WGU Academy was almost the same format as SL except that WGU Academy gave you three chances to pass instead of just one in Straighterline. I completed the PACA program in WGU, completed one MTA database certification, and got exposure to Comptia Training material before I transferred into WGU.
I am attaching my initial transfer eval and also my post transcript.

I would definitely recommend completing the SQL Server equivalent for the Oracle Sql Developer course, because that can be a real difficult course. I manage to do it in a month since I had sql server background. However, if I had known that this was such as difficult course, I would have done the SQL Server equivalent of it and transferred it in. People spend almost a year sometimes doing that course. There is an entire slack channel just devoted to that course alone.

Apart from that, I think I managed to get through all the courses in 3 weeks or so. I took 6 weeks for the capstone.
I started with the Comptia Exams and completed them in 6 weeks. Then I did the Database intro that took a week.
After that I did the Oracle exam that took almost a month. But while waiting for my second attempt, I completed a CIW Web course that had 6 credits but was quite easy. After that I think, I picked up pace and managed to do courses within a week or two. I took 2 weeks each for for the software 1 and 2, 3 weeks for mobile app and 6 weeks for capstone. I really stalled in the capstone. My capstone instructor was really supportive and kind and slowly nudged me towards completion.

So if you have some similar background as mine, you should definitely apply for the software degree course in WGU.
It is definitely possible to complete the degree in one term. I have ADD, and had a huge problem trying to complete the courses related to Math/Chemistry/Statistics . I remember reading Merlin's posts related to the same. 
It was cookderosa's post on Straighterline that actually got me started on Chemistry which I was really dreading.
Bicheung77  's posts helped me as well. Also another person who inspired me for WGU was @quigongene who also completed his degree in record time.

So thank you all for your help through the years. You are doing a huge service for people like me.
Thank you again

Congratulations! You did an awesome job of completing a degree in 6 months.

I am planning to do CompTIA A+ before enrolling. Shall I try WGU Academy? OiiiORIENTATIONRIENTATION
Is it mandatory to do Orientation and PACA?
------------------

lalrag, wow, I'm very impressed... you did a great job finishing those 65 credits in an amazing time frame of one term! Congrats on graduating form WGU! Thanks for the mention, I'm not sure how I helped out... It's great to see you have shared your evaluation so it will help others who choose the BS Software Development option, thank you again for sharing your experience, it's so helpful to people starting that path!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 904 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Is the final capstone course for the IT, software engineering, or CS major hard? whiverem 12 1,664 06-04-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  BS Software Development soon to become Software Engineering MNomadic 26 4,443 03-22-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  [Request] College of IT - Bachelor's in Software Development - Unofficial Transcript GunslingerParrot 1 1,123 07-28-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU Software Development reylok 8 3,114 04-11-2020, 01:36 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Software Development or CS azt579 1 2,005 02-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Professional Development Courses? teacher2 3 3,743 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jsd