Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS in Business - Competency Based
Hi everyone,

I was active on this forum a year back, and posted some questions about a degree plan. Since I'm a pilot, lot of the responses were to check out the Aviation Flight Technology Degree at TESU. But a roadblock has been that they accept only FAA licenses, and only some of mine are FAA. If my Indian ICAO qualifications were accepted, it would have covered 37-40 credits. But they haven't responded positively. So new plan for now - I am looking at a competency based degree (other than WGU - I'm an Indian citizen) preferably in Business. 

I'm starting with 0 credits, and I want something that's as cheap as possible, where I can transfer most of the credits from exams (other than CLEP or DSST, as there are no testing centers near me), and finish the degree with 1 semester of a competency based program.The preference for competency based degree was only because I have been reading that TESU has become less preferred due to new changes, and that was the best option I had in mind.

I'm open to any ideas that can get me the cheapest and fastest degree (Will study as required to finish it in 1 year), preferably in business. I am open to doing something like a BS IT/CIS, but I'm thinking it would take me longer as I suspect I won't be able to learn how to code very quickly...

Kindly help me out with any suggestions you guys have in mind.
(11-29-2019, 09:10 AM)busdriver32 Wrote: Hi everyone,

I was active on this forum a year back, and posted some questions about a degree plan. Since I'm a pilot, lot of the responses were to check out the Aviation Flight Technology Degree at TESU. But a roadblock has been that they accept only FAA licenses, and only some of mine are FAA. If my Indian ICAO qualifications were accepted, it would have covered 37-40 credits. But they haven't responded positively. So new plan for now - I am looking at a competency based degree (other than WGU - I'm an Indian citizen) preferably in Business. 

I'm starting with 0 credits, and I want something that's as cheap as possible, where I can transfer most of the credits from exams (other than CLEP or DSST, as there are no testing centers near me), and finish the degree with 1 semester of a competency based program.The preference for competency based degree was only because I have been reading that TESU has become less preferred due to new changes, and that was the best option I had in mind.

I'm open to any ideas that can get me the cheapest and fastest degree (Will study as required to finish it in 1 year), preferably in business. I am open to doing something like a BS IT/CIS, but I'm thinking it would take me longer as I suspect I won't be able to learn how to code very quickly...

Kindly help me out with any suggestions you guys have in mind.

BSBA - GM from COSC

Attached Files
.xlsx   COSC Degree Plan 2018.xlsx (Size: 22.33 KB / Downloads: 20)
.xlsx   AshokCOSC BSBA.xlsx (Size: 100.77 KB / Downloads: 15)
.png   Fees Structure.png (Size: 21.96 KB / Downloads: 20)
------------------

TESU hasn't become less preferred, it is just currently more expensive than WGU or COSC.  For what you're describing (being able to transfer in as many alt credits) I'd agree with akr680 suggestion of COSC for a BSBA.  It is not competency based, but alt credit friendly like TESU.  If a college vs university works for you then I'd go with the COSC.  College vs University makes little, if any, difference in the US; however, I know many of the international students often prefer University in the name - that brings you back to TESU.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Here are the competency-based Business degrees I know of, not sure if they will have an issue with a non-US citizen or not, or how many ACE/NCCRS credits you can transfer in. I'm also plugging in the prices I have, they may or may not be up-to-date.

Northern Arizona University Personalized Learning - $3000/6-month term (~$115/week)
- BS in Management rather than Business
Brandman University MyPath - $3,200/24-week term (~$133/week)
University of Wisconsin Flex - $2250/3-month term (~$173/week)
Capella University Flexpath - $2300/12-week term (~$191/week)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Also WGU isn't for US citizens it is for US residents. If you live in the US you can do WGU.
(11-29-2019, 12:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Northern Arizona University Personalized Learning - $3000/6-month term (~$115/week)
- BS in Management rather than Business
Brandman University MyPath - $3,200/24-week term (~$133/week)
University of Wisconsin Flex - $2250/3-month term (~$173/week)
Capella University Flexpath - $2300/12-week term (~$191/week)

Dividing the cost by week is a really helpful way to cut through the variations in term length.
@ akr680

Thank you so much Ashok! Much appreciated. The comparison of the cost and residency waiver fees etc was very helpful. This seems like a good option for me. I will likely take it up. I however don't have the option of Modern States in India, as I don't have a CLEP testing center here for some reason! (They have lot of centers for SAT but none for CLEPs).

@ allvia
I'm actually not sure it would make any difference between the names of "College" or "University" here in India. I honestly don't know Big Grin I guess I would be fine with COSC, as my plan is to get a BS degree here, and then get an MBA from University of London Distance Learning program afterwards.

@dfrecore
Thank you so much for the info! Appreciate it.!

@ natshar
Oh, that's nice to know. I did spend a lot of time shuffling between the US and here, but I don't think I would be considered a resident as I came only on a visit visa everytime. But thanks for the information, will keep it in mind for future reference.

Guys thanks so much for all the inputs. Really appreciate it. I have some questions about the COSC Degree now.

1) Should I start off with doing all the exams, and then apply to COSC? What's the best way forward? I'm thinking that since I have 0 credits to start with, I will do as many credits as I can, and apply at a suitable time this year. Any good time to apply/wait for?

2) I don't have the option of Modern States/CLEP/DSST here in India. Can someone help me come up with a degree plan which is cheap, and with sources of credit other than these?

3) I will attempt to finish the degree in 1 year. That's my goal. Any thoughts? Smile

4) There are a lot of courses on Saylor and Straighterline which match the requirements for the degree, but only some of them are showing up on the course equivalency page for COSC at Saylor/SL websites. Does it mean that only the ones which are shown in the equivalency pages are valid to be used, or any course thats credit recommended on saylor/SL can be used?

Thanks again for all the help!!!
Requesting the help of the members here to guide me with the following questions please...(Repeating the questions from earlier post, with some modifications)

1) Should I start off with doing all the exams, and then apply to COSC later on, after finishing most of the credits??

2) There are a lot of courses on Saylor and Straighterline which match the requirements for the degree, but only some of them are showing up on the course equivalency page for COSC at Saylor/SL websites. Does it mean that only the ones which are shown in the equivalency pages are valid to be used, or any course thats credit recommended on saylor/SL can be used?

3) I don't have the option of Modern States/CLEP/DSST here in India. Can someone help me come up with a degree plan which is cheap, and with sources of credit other than these? I could come up with a plan if someone can answer Qn 2.

Thank you once again!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 243 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  University of Phoenix to offer Competency Based Degrees elcastor21 11 1,224 10-04-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Business Insider/MSN - College, Grad, Money Articles bjcheung77 4 441 08-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University of Northern Alabama Competency Business Degree natshar 6 673 07-19-2023, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Am I insane for wanting to try a competency based program? Schlafen 13 1,630 01-31-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 516 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  5 Ways You Can Be Discriminated Against Based on Your College Choices LevelUP 0 724 10-07-2022, 09:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Calc based Physics needed Hometeacher628 14 1,309 09-14-2022, 03:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gateway U - New Competency Based Degree Provider harrypotter 19 2,255 09-12-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 0 951 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: sarahmac