Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BS in Psychology - Cheap and Fast (and dirty)
Mysonx3 - is there a limit on how many courses you can enrolled in? On either study.com or any other free range course. ( by the way, what is a free range course really called on here). Thanks

Other the asking an advisor at a college, does places like study.com say if the college of your choice will take their program test credit before you take the course?
This page shows study.com's partner schools:
https://study.com/academy/college-accele...dycom.html
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(11-22-2018, 06:30 PM)LadySearchDog Wrote: Mysonx3 - is there a limit on how many courses you can enrolled in? On either study.com or any other free range course. ( by the way, what is a free range course really called on here). Thanks
[...]

You don't "enroll" in courses, you enroll in schools. But you can register for and take as many courses you want at a time via Study.com or any of the alternative education providers.

That said, its best to take only one course at a time. You can get through each course much more quickly that way. I completed 92 credits over 10 months, averaging 3 courses per month, but 2 courses per month is more common.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
There's no limit, though with Study.com only two per month are included free with your membership. Each additional one in a month costs $70. So, for example, I did one month and completed the finals for 7 courses. It cost me $549 ($199 for the membership and $350 for five "extra" classes. Then I paused my membership to work on other courses (specifically, StraighterLine). Other providers have different pricing structures (e.g. with StraighterLine you pay $99 per month for a membership plus you have to pay for each course (most are $59, but some have other prices). Other providers have no monthly membership and you only pay either A. For the course or B. To take the final. I haven't personally used ALEKS, but my understanding is that it is $20/month for unlimited courses, but you can only use up to three of their classes for credit because they overlap. And my personal favorite is CLEP, which you obviously know about already, which is free if you go through the corresponding course on Modern States.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Muldoon
Where do MOOC’s come in play with all of this?

Getting college credit basically free from places like Haverd and Stanford... etc....

https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.com/?s=Moocs+
Free or near-free MOOCs don't actually get credit for you outside of select partnerships, unfortunately. They can be useful in studying for an exam that you are using to test out, however.
Completed:

Up Next:

Mysonx3 but if I can’t test out in all my classes, free or nearly free is the way to go! And from Harvard! How would I find out what schools are partnership with MOOC’s? Mostly from edx!

WSU didn’t even give a yes or no to MOOC’s....

https://www.wichita.edu/academics/adult_.../index.php
But what I'm saying is that the free or near-free MOOCs don't actually earn you credit, outside of select partnerships (which typically make it no longer near-free). For example, Arizona State partners with edX (or maybe Coursera? I can't remember) to give credit for some MOOCs, but it costs a pretty good chunk to have ASU award the credits, and my understanding is that the only courses that are offered that way are ones that have other test-out options (albeit those options are less freely transferrable)
Completed:

Up Next:

(11-22-2018, 09:34 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: But what I'm saying is that the free or near-free MOOCs don't actually earn you credit, outside of select partnerships (which typically make it no longer near-free). For example, Arizona State partners with edX (or maybe Coursera? I can't remember) to give credit for some MOOCs, but it costs a pretty good chunk to have ASU award the credits, and my understanding is that the only courses that are offered that way are ones that have other test-out options (albeit those options are less freely transferrable)

Sad pooh... so your saying there are cheaper routes , being ACE programs.......
If you're going to a school that takes ACE, that's correct. Looks like WSU is selective about which ones they take, and it appears not to include Study.com/StraighterLine type providers. I don't want to push you towards a specific school, but if you REALLY want to do a test-heavy route your best bet is one of the big 3 (Thomas Edison State University, Charter Oak State College, and Excelsior College). All three have Psych degrees.
Completed:

Up Next:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 2,579 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,530 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 460 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 531 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,761 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 926 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Cheap-ish (Biblical) Hebrew and Greek credit rachel83az 7 643 08-22-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 807 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Cheap/quick/fun certs? Insert Name 10 1,338 01-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Conions
  Cheap general science courses? Preferably online. Drakemoore 8 1,371 12-27-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee