Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BS in Psychology - Cheap and Fast (and dirty)
(11-28-2018, 01:18 AM)turborelaxation Wrote: Merlin, thanks so much again. I was mainly just wanting something concise versus a meandering 8 page thread. Eventually my goal is to consolidate this into something helpful to others.

I have some more questions. What is the difference between an exam and a course? A course is going to require a certain amount of time to watch videos and read and the like?

And an exam is basically just a one shot deal where it’s on you to study for it?

Not exactly. With some of the courses (Saylor.org, Davar) your entire grade is based on one final exam, however the amount of time spent studying is mostly up to you. However, others (Study.com, SL) have graded quizzes, papers or projects in addition to a final exam. Depends on the provider and the individual course.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-28-2018, 09:24 AM)davewill Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 01:18 AM)turborelaxation Wrote: Merlin, thanks so much again. I was mainly just wanting something concise versus a meandering 8 page thread. Eventually my goal is to consolidate this into something helpful to others.

I have some more questions. What is the difference between an exam and a course? A course is going to require a certain amount of time to watch videos and read and the like?

And an exam is basically just a one shot deal where it’s on you to study for it?

Not exactly. With some of the courses (Saylor.org, Davar) your entire grade is based on one final exam, however the amount of time spent studying is mostly up to you. However, others (Study.com, SL) have graded quizzes, papers or projects in addition to a final exam. Depends on the provider and the individual course.

To me, any credits earned where your final grade is based solely on the results of a single exam and the prep is done by you with your own resources is what I consider exam-based credit. This can include Sayor and Davar (though they also provide their own learning materials), but is usually in reference to CLEP / DSST / TECEP / UExcel / CSU-Global CBE's.

I consider course-based credit to be earned through a combination of a final exam and applied learning (i.e., quizzes, midterms, projects, papers, etc.) along with guided instruction in the way of textual and audio/video content. So that would include Study.com, Straighterline, Online Degree, Sophia, Shmoop, etc. In course-based credit, your final grade is often weighed higher on the applied learning part and less on the final exam scores.

But that is just my perspective.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • sanantone
(11-28-2018, 07:17 PM)Merlin Wrote:

To me, any credits earned where your final grade is based solely on the results of a single exam and the prep is done by you with your own resources is what I consider exam-based credit. This can include Sayor and Davar (though they also provide their own learning materials), but is usually in reference to CLEP / DSST / TECEP / UExcel / CSU-Global CBE's.

I consider course-based credit to be earned through a combination of a final exam and applied learning (i.e., quizzes, midterms, projects, papers, etc.) along with guided instruction in the way of textual and audio/video content. So that would include Study.com, Straighterline, Online Degree, Sophia, Shmoop, etc. In course-based credit, your final grade is often weighed higher on the applied learning part and less on the final exam scores.

That is my view. Davar doesn't really offer courses. They give you slides to study. At Saylor, the coursework is not required.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-28-2018, 11:01 PM)sanantone Wrote:

That is my view. Davar doesn't really offer courses. They give you slides to study. At Saylor, the coursework is not required.

I've used "test-out" in the past to refer to alternative credit in general, but i agree that the above description is more accurate. I like "alternative credit" as a better blanket statement though, because I think an SL or SdC (etc) "course" has more in common with a Saylor or TECEP (etc) test than either have in common with a traditional online or B&M course.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • dfrecore, MNomadic
(11-29-2018, 12:10 AM)jsd Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 11:01 PM)sanantone Wrote:

I've used "test-out" in the past to refer to alternative credit in general, but i agree that the above description is more accurate. I like "alternative credit" as a better blanket statement though, because I think an SL or SdC (etc) "course" has more in common with a Saylor or TECEP (etc) test than either have in common with a traditional online or B&M course.

Yes, I use alternative (or alternate) credit as well to refer to exam or course-based credit. Generally everything we talk about here in this forum. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • jsd
(11-23-2018, 02:00 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 01:33 PM)LadySearchDog Wrote: If I had a calculator for the big 3, I could do the math.but most of what I'll do Is alternative  credit and testout if I go to them.

We always ask people to list the credits they already have so we can give them an idea of how many credits they still need. If you don't want to do that, then that is fine. You can pay an application fee and have TESU, COSC, and Excelsior evaluate your transcripts. Until that is done, no one can tell you how much a BA in psychology will cost.

Sorry for the late respond, this is one reason I want to go at my own pace. Also I am sorry for hijacking the thread. If you want me to contue with my questions in a new thread, I will do so.  I feel most people in the begging have the same questions though. I do see how it is now getting individualized with wanting transcripts. Either way is fine with me.

I will be posting a link to my transcripts ( since I have no clue how to post what all Ive earned alone with there be too many). Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys!

(11-23-2018, 01:20 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 01:08 PM)LadySearchDog Wrote: Sanantone- In an estimate, how much are we talking about for getting a ba in psychology at one of the big 3. I have most of my gen Ed’s done and a few psychology classes. I have 120 credit hours.Thanks!

Can you list the names of the courses and where you completed them? The cost of the degree will be dependent upon how many credits will transfer.
Hey they wont let me do attachments. It says that I have too many attachments and when i go to remove it. The librarian said there is something wrong with the form's program. It says there are none to remove. How do I correct it , so I can post my unofficial transcript? Thanks

Never mind. How do you delete this post? We got it figured out.
(11-23-2018, 01:20 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 01:08 PM)LadySearchDog Wrote: Sanantone- In an estimate, how much are we talking about for getting a ba in psychology at one of the big 3. I have most of my gen Ed’s done and a few psychology classes. I have 120 credit hours.Thanks!

Can you list the names of the courses and where you completed them? The cost of the degree will be dependent upon how many credits will transfer.

Here is my unofficial transcript. Anyone is welcome to put their input in! Thanks for your patient's guys!

(11-23-2018, 01:39 PM)jsd Wrote: Can you list the names of the courses and where you completed them? The cost of the degree will be dependent upon how many credits will transfer.

Here is the unofficial transcript. Anyone is welcomed to put their input in. Thanks for your patient's guys!

Attached Files
.docx   LadySearchDog Transcrpits.docx (Size: 44.78 KB / Downloads: 21)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 412 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 487 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,418 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 869 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Cheap-ish (Biblical) Hebrew and Greek credit rachel83az 7 594 08-22-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 13 2,361 03-07-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Ypsiterroir
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 783 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Cheap/quick/fun certs? Insert Name 10 1,313 01-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Conions
  Cheap general science courses? Preferably online. Drakemoore 8 1,298 12-27-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Cheap(ish) MS Office licenses rachel83az 11 1,914 12-03-2022, 01:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77