Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS or bust - TESU BS in Data Science and Analytics
Yes, agreed, weird! It looks like I will have to contact them directly and request info on it. Preferred to avoid that. LOL!

Quick question - 

Do you think this degree is suited for those seeking a career as a data analyst? I don't think so - it appears that this degree may be more geared for someone looking to carve a path as a data scientist or engineer? As an analyst, it is my understanding there would be a lot less programming involved. There are pretty advanced courses on the Statistics.com core courses, or is it just me?

Perhaps the Udacity Data Analyst nanodegree may be better?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Danielle
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
[-] The following 1 user Likes CarpeDiem8's post:
  • akr680
I received a wonderful message from the founder of statistics.com clarifying my previous post and I am sharing here to provide info for anyone interested in this degree! There are 2 tracks - one is focused more on business / data analyst and the other more scientist / engineering looking to utilize programming:

Hi Danielle -

We do offer a lot of support - we have expert instructors and an attentive group of teaching assistants.  Supporting students like you is their whole job; they are not graduate students doing this on the side.  The TESU BS program can have two different tracks, depending on student interest:

Analytics for non-programmers - mostly uses tools like Excel and Tableau.
Analytics for data scientists - uses R and Python.

It sounds like the first track is what you would be interested in - I do think you could manage it!  It is aimed at people who want to learn more about analytics, but don't want to dive into programming or get into that whole side of data science.
(07-25-2019, 04:39 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: I received a wonderful message from the founder of statistics.com clarifying my previous post and I am sharing here to provide info for anyone interested in this degree! There are 2 tracks - one is focused more on business / data analyst and the other more scientist / engineering looking to utilize programming:

Hi Danielle -

We do offer a lot of support - we have expert instructors and an attentive group of teaching assistants.  Supporting students like you is their whole job; they are not graduate students doing this on the side.  The TESU BS program can have two different tracks, depending on student interest:

Analytics for non-programmers - mostly uses tools like Excel and Tableau.
Analytics for data scientists - uses R and Python.

It sounds like the first track is what you would be interested in - I do think you could manage it!  It is aimed at people who want to learn more about analytics, but don't want to dive into programming or get into that whole side of data science.

I started taking courses on statistics.com about a month ago and I really enjoy the teaching style. The classes are only four weeks long, but I feel like they teach concepts pretty efficiently. The Teaching Assistants are incredibly helpful and understanding. I am doing the latter program, but I can confirm that you have the option to focus more on the analytics perspective; for example, I am taking the Forecasting class now and there are two versions of the textbook you can opt for, one that uses an Excel add-on and one that uses R.
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
[-] The following 1 user Likes amaquiling's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
Thanks, amaquling!

Are you taking more than 1 course a month? Do you happen to know if you could safely complete 1 course a month and be on track to do all 12 courses in 1 year total? 

Thanks again for your insight!!!!!!!!!

Danielle
(07-25-2019, 08:16 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Thanks, amaquling!

Are you taking more than 1 course a month? Do you happen to know if you could safely complete 1 course a month and be on track to do all 12 courses in 1 year total? 

Thanks again for your insight!!!!!!!!!

Danielle

Hey Danielle, I'm glad I could help! I took one class a month ago, and I started four statistics.com courses mid-July. I will admit it is a bit overwhelming, especially since I'm balancing those courses with SOC-110 at TESU and a full-time job, but I really want to get those class out of the way and graduate ASAP. The only thing is, the courses are only held a few times a year so scheduling certain classes may be a challenge. 

When I registered, I managed to fit all courses in my schedule so that I complete my final courses by mid-October. I'm certain you can complete your courses in a year. I would recommend looking at the dates that the courses are being held in advance and plan accordingly.

Good luck!
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
Wow, 4 courses!!! That’s awesome!

Did you take advantage of the discounts then / pay in full?

Thanks again!

Danielle
(07-25-2019, 08:47 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Wow, 4 courses!!! That’s awesome!

Thanks again!

Danielle

I kinda jumped in without doing prior research. Since I had a bit of help from my employer and saved up specifically for when I returned to school, I didn't really mind since it seemed affordable to me. On top of that, I didn't know of any discount codes but I got a $850 discount for 12 courses, which was pretty nice!
In-progress:
(07-25-2019, 08:58 PM)amaquiling Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 08:47 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Wow, 4 courses!!! That’s awesome!

Thanks again!

Danielle

I kinda jumped in without doing prior research. Since I had a bit of help from my employer and saved up specifically for when I returned to school, I didn't really mind since it seemed affordable to me. On top of that, I didn't know of any discount codes but I got a $850 discount for 12 courses, which was pretty nice!
Oh wow, $850 off is a great deal! So glad you found it! May I ask how?
(09-18-2018, 11:33 AM)spdy Wrote: I finished my Statistics.com courses last week, I've done

Introductory Statistics
Introduction to Python for Analytics
Introduction to Network Analysis
R Programming - Introduction 1
SQL - Introduction to Database Queries
Forecasting Analytics
Regression Analysis
Interactive Data Visualization
Optimization - Linear Programming
Predictive Analytics 1 - Machine Learning Tools
Predictive Analytics 2 - Neural Nets and Regression
Predictive Analytics 3: Dimension Reduction, Clustering and Association Rules

Introduction to Python/R/SQL were easy as I already had some basic experience with python and SQL.
Of all courses I think Forecasting Analytics and the predictive analytics series required more time and work to understand

Just updating this thread that "Intro to Python Programming for Analytics" is no longer an elective for this degree.

Instead, it is now "Python for Analytics", which requires some prior programming knowledge. 

Someone may benefit by scheduling and taking the elective, "R Programming - Introduction 1" first.

HTH!

Danielle
Took advantage of the coupon code and am taking "Introduction to Network Analysis" since that is very relevant to my current employer and would be interesting to take. I was not able to stack discounts (they also offer an academic discount for TESU), so I paid $349.00 for it. I can always use it as a course somewhere else if I don't move forward with this BS degree.

I also signed up for their free, 1-week sneak peeks for both their Intro to Statistics course and Predictive Analytics. Even though I'm currently taking Sophia.org's Intro to Stats (paid $100), it appears that it may be advantageous to take their course as they use software right from the beginning, which you could be using later on in other courses (i.e., if you are focused on R, you'd use it in their intro to stats course). And since the more difficult courses use stats so much, it would be ideal to have this part down like a second language. The Predictive Analytics Preview will at least give me an idea that I may be totally dreaming that I could attain this degree and if that's the case, I can go back to original plan of BA in Psychology, which is okay! I have to at least try!!! So by first week of September, all will be revealed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 696 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 359 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP