Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS or bust - TESU BS in Data Science and Analytics
(07-27-2019, 06:14 AM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Took advantage of the coupon code and am taking "Introduction to Network Analysis" since that is very relevant to my current employer and would be interesting to take. I was not able to stack discounts (they also offer an academic discount for TESU), so I paid $349.00 for it. I can always use it as a course somewhere else if I don't move forward with this BS degree.

I also signed up for their free, 1-week sneak peeks for both their Intro to Statistics course and Predictive Analytics. Even though I'm currently taking Sophia.org's Intro to Stats (paid $100), it appears that it may be advantageous to take their course as they use software right from the beginning, which you could be using later on in other courses (i.e., if you are focused on R, you'd use it in their intro to stats course). And since the more difficult courses use stats so much, it would be ideal to have this part down like a second language. The Predictive Analytics Preview will at least give me an idea that I may be totally dreaming that I could attain this degree and if that's the case, I can go back to original plan of BA in Psychology, which is okay! I have to at least try!!! So by first week of September, all will be revealed.

Congrats! I hope you enjoy the class. I think I used the TESU discount since it applied automatically? Wasn't searching for a discount because I had no idea that they were publicly available on websites like this, but I was very pleasantly surprised!
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
Right, the academic discount is automatic, however, if you plug in a promo code "welcome193" as well, it will only apply one discount a time. So in this case, the $200 off was cheaper for me. Oh well! 

Yes, I hope they keep up with the discount codes as I don't plan on buying the bundle that they offer for all 12 at a discount. We shall see!

@amaquiling, Are you going to take either of the 2 electives you can take so as to get the specialization in "Optimization" certificate from Statistics.com? There is also a "Predictive Analytics" cert, too, and that looks to be automatic! It looks to be only $65 fee for each cert and 5 of 6 the courses for the certs are part of the required courses for the degree. Also, there's a grad cert from TESU that you can also get, but 2 of the 4 courses require programming and I don't plan to take those tracks.

Sounds like it could be a great degree - no capstone, discounts all the time, can roll in 3 other certs (one grad level) if planned right. AND, in hot demand right now! Not too shabby!!!!

Thanks again for your info, it helps a lot!

Danielle Smile
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(07-28-2019, 08:31 AM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Right, the academic discount is automatic, however, if you plug in a promo code "welcome193" as well, it will only apply one discount a time. So in this case, the $200 off was cheaper for me. Oh well! 

Yes, I hope they keep up with the discount codes as I don't plan on buying the bundle that they offer for all 12 at a discount. We shall see!

@amaquiling, Are you going to take either of the 2 electives you can take so as to get the specialization in "Optimization" certificate from Statistics.com? There is also a "Predictive Analytics" cert, too, and that looks to be automatic! It looks to be only $65 fee for each cert and 5 of 6 the courses for the certs are part of the required courses for the degree. Also, there's a grad cert from TESU that you can also get, but 2 of the 4 courses require programming and I don't plan to take those tracks.

Sounds like it could be a great degree - no capstone, discounts all the time, can roll in 3 other certs (one grad level) if planned right. AND, in hot demand right now! Not too shabby!!!!

Thanks again for your info, it helps a lot!

Danielle Smile

Hi Danielle, I had no idea about those certifications, that is helpful information! I'll look into it, but if it requires any additional classes on top of what I am currently registered for, I probably won't be able to. I am also pursuing a B.A. in Computer Science and Certificate in Finance at the same time, so the workload is a bit heavy, especially because I am trying to graduate as soon as I can.
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
Understandable!

Grad cert - https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/grad-certifi...-analytics

Risk Simulation and Queuing
3 credits
Predictive Analytics 1 – Machine Learning Tools: Python
- or -
Predictive Analytics 1 – Machine Learning Tools: R
3 credits
DSI-610 Optimization – Linear Programming
3 credits
DSI-621 Integer and Nonlinear Programming and Network Flow
3 credits

Statistics.com Certs: https://www.statistics.com/specializations/

Optimization Cert -
pick 3 of 4:
Optimization- Linear Programming
Integer and Nonlinear Programming and Network Flow
Financial Risk Modeling

Predictive Analytics Cert -
Predictive Analytics 1: Machine Learning Tools
Predictive Analytics 2: Neural Nets and Regression
Predictive Analytics 3: Dimension Reduction, Clustering and Association Rules

HTH!

Danielle
(07-29-2019, 02:52 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Understandable!

3 credits
- or -
3 credits
3 credits
3 credits

Optimization Cert -
pick 3 of 4:
Financial Risk Modeling

HTH!

Danielle

That's interesting! Strangely enough, I'd be eligible for the Predictive Analytics Cert before this year ends. Just wondering though, is the Optimization Cert really only three courses? I can't seem to find where it says that on the statistics.com website, but if that's true, I would be eligible for that as well!

Risk Simulation and Queuing is the only course out of everything you've listed above that I have not taken yet. I wouldn't mind taking it either especially since I'm highly interested in the use of Data Science/Analytics for financial applications, but I'm just not sure if I want to pay $500+ for another course since I also need to save up for my Master's  :/
In-progress:
Quote:Just wondering though, is the Optimization Cert really only three courses? I can't seem to find where it says that on the statistics.com website, but if that's true, I would be eligible for that as well!

At the top of this page:

"Successfully complete three of the courses listed for any specialization and you'll earn a Record of Specialization from the Institute for Statistics Education at Statistics.com."

Quote:Risk Simulation and Queuing is the only course out of everything you've listed above that I have not taken yet. I wouldn't mind taking it either especially since I'm highly interested in the use of Data Science/Analytics for financial applications, but I'm just not sure if I want to pay $500+ for another course since I also need to save up for my Master's  :/

Right, Risk Sim is an elective, but if you have already bought the financial Risk one, then you are good to go. The $200 off coupon is good until 7/31, btw - "welcome193". In any event, you can always go back later on with a coupon code at a time that you can complete the course if you really wanted it...It's great that you can still get the cert, I don't believe there is any time limit for that either!

HTH!

Danielle
(07-29-2019, 05:02 PM)amaquiling Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 02:52 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Understandable!

3 credits
- or -
3 credits
3 credits
3 credits

Optimization Cert -
pick 3 of 4:
Financial Risk Modeling

HTH!

Danielle

That's interesting! Strangely enough, I'd be eligible for the Predictive Analytics Cert before this year ends. Just wondering though, is the Optimization Cert really only three courses? I can't seem to find where it says that on the statistics.com website, but if that's true, I would be eligible for that as well!

Risk Simulation and Queuing is the only course out of everything you've listed above that I have not taken yet. I wouldn't mind taking it either especially since I'm highly interested in the use of Data Science/Analytics for financial applications, but I'm just not sure if I want to pay $500+ for another course since I also need to save up for my Master's  :/

Well we are on the topic of adding certs. amaquiling did you notice you have a BA math done as well? Have you ever thought about adding it as well? I'm not sure but it might not even take any more courses. You for sure for have the AS in math done and AS in comp sci as well, add those for free.
I believe amaquiling is double majoring with CS.
(08-13-2019, 04:10 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: I believe amaquiling is double majoring with CS.

They can told all three.

Data Science is a BS.

Math and Computer science are BA's and require the same capstone. You can have two areas of study for a BA and still do a BS as well. 

So it would be one BA (double major math/comp Sci) and one Bs (data Science)
(08-13-2019, 04:13 PM)natshar Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 04:10 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: I believe amaquiling is double majoring with CS.

They can told all three.

Data Science is a BS.

Math and Computer science are BA's and require the same capstone. You can have two areas of study for a BA and still do a BS as well. 

So it would be one BA (double major math/comp Sci) and one Bs (data Science)

Not sure if I want to take the extra classes for that. I had no idea that that would be possible, but I am trying to register for the September capstone and if the advisers allow me, graduate by this December and I don't know if that would be possible with an area of study in Math as well :/
In-progress:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 359 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP