Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS or bust - TESU BS in Data Science and Analytics
(08-15-2019, 06:56 AM)amaquiling Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 04:13 PM)natshar Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 04:10 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: I believe amaquiling is double majoring with CS.

They can told all three.

Data Science is a BS.

Math and Computer science are BA's and require the same capstone. You can have two areas of study for a BA and still do a BS as well. 

So it would be one BA (double major math/comp Sci) and one Bs (data Science)

Not sure if I want to take the extra classes for that. I had no idea that that would be possible, but I am trying to register for the September capstone and if the advisers allow me, graduate by this December and I don't know if that would be possible with an area of study in Math as well :/
I don't know you might already have it all done. At least from your signature it looks like you do. The problem is you might have too many overlap. I'd at least run a "what's" and see what it says. Or you can just add a math associates instead if this isn't possible.
(08-15-2019, 07:48 AM)natshar Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 04:10 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: I believe amaquiling is double majoring with CS.

They can told all three.

Data Science is a BS.

Math and Computer science are BA's and require the same capstone. You can have two areas of study for a BA and still do a BS as well. 

Not sure if I want to take the extra classes for that. I had no idea that that would be possible, but I am trying to register for the September capstone and if the advisers allow me, graduate by this December and I don't know if that would be possible with an area of study in Math as well :/
I don't know you might already have it all done. At least from your signature it looks like you do. The problem is you might have too many overlap. I'd at least run a "what's" and see what it says. Or you can just add a math associates instead if this isn't possible.

That's really interesting actually, I did consider doing that early on but thought CS and Math would be a double major. Turns out that I have more credits towards the Bachelor's in Math! 93 credits as opposed to the 92 credits in CS. 

I was considering signing up for some of the Coopersmith UL Math courses for a while, so it's looking more likely than I thought!
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
(08-15-2019, 09:05 AM)amaquiling Wrote:

They can told all three.

Data Science is a BS.

That's really interesting actually, I did consider doing that early on but thought CS and Math would be a double major. Turns out that I have more credits towards the Bachelor's in Math! 93 credits as opposed to the 92 credits in CS. 

I was considering signing up for some of the Coopersmith UL Math courses for a while, so it's looking more likely than I thought!

CS and Math are a double major, this is not the same as a dual degree. TESU allows for two bachelors degrees so, for example, a BS and BA. However, in each of those degrees, you can have up to two areas of study. So you could have a maximum of four different majors in total between everything. They only send you one BA degree and the official degree says "Bachelors of Arts" and doesn't list the majors. However, on your transcript, it would list both majors. Hope this all makes sense. But basically if you wanted to you could do a BS Data Science and a BA in math/comp sci all at once and it would be allowed and doable.

I'm confused by the crossed off courses in the signature does that mean you did those or not? You might not even need to do any UL math courses if they can count of some of the statsics.com courses for the math degree as well, they do allow for some overlap. I'd talk to an advisor and see about adding a math BA to your program as well. If you can't do it, you can always drop it. Remember what if evaluations aren't always accurate so you could even more done then it says.

I would for sure add math associates you might already have that done and it wouldn't cost anything if you can't get the math BA at least you can get the math associates.
(08-15-2019, 09:49 AM)natshar Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 04:13 PM)natshar Wrote: They can told all three.

Data Science is a BS.

CS and Math are a double major, this is not the same as a dual degree. TESU allows for two bachelors degrees so, for example, a BS and BA. However, in each of those degrees, you can have up to two areas of study. So you could have a maximum of four different majors in total between everything. They only send you one BA degree and the official degree says "Bachelors of Arts" and doesn't list the majors. However, on your transcript, it would list both majors. Hope this all makes sense. But basically if you wanted to you could do a BS Data Science and a BA in math/comp sci all at once and it would be allowed and doable.

I'm confused by the crossed off courses in the signature does that mean you did those or not? You might not even need to do any UL math courses if they can count of some of the statsics.com courses for the math degree as well, they do allow for some overlap. I'd talk to an advisor and see about adding a math BA to your program as well. If you can't do it, you can always drop it. Remember what if evaluations aren't always accurate so you could even more done then it says.

I would for sure add math associates you might already have that done and it wouldn't cost anything if you can't get the math BA at least you can get the math associates.

I think amaquiling will have to take two extra courses from an actual school to get the UL courses for the BA in Math, as I don't see any in the signature that I expect would be counted as UL Math. It certainly would be worth taking a closer look at the Math eval to see if any classes are being counted as UL Math, and definitely worth getting the associates.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(08-15-2019, 09:49 AM)natshar Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 04:13 PM)natshar Wrote: They can told all three.

Data Science is a BS.

Yeah, those are the courses I have taken and gotten credit for. The courses in-progress are italicized. Mostly for the purpose of holding myself accountable haha
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
Another thing to consider is that with TESU's new prices. Have you considered taking 16 credits at TESU to avoid the wavier since you are already at 9 credits planned at TESU? It might save you money especially if you qualify for the Pell grant.
(08-16-2019, 08:24 AM)natshar Wrote: Another thing to consider is that with TESU's new prices. Have you considered taking 16 credits at TESU to avoid the wavier since you are already at 9 credits planned at TESU? It might save you money especially if you qualify for the Pell grant.

Ultimately decided on doing the double major for my BA. I calculated the cost of taking the math courses at TESU, and it is only a couple hundred more, considering my employer's tuition assistance. My other UL course will be likely be a Coopersmith UL math course.
In-progress:
SDC - Computer Science 113: Programming in Python , will transfer in as COS-205 if completed by 02/28/22 and is planned onto your evaluation.
------------------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,975 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 359 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP