Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSBA Degree Path Help Needed
Been a member a lonnnng time, but kinda just got busy having a few kids and just dealing with having an ok paying job. Unfortunately, a month back i was fired from the job as they were eliminating positions.

I also do not have any degrees in the hopper Sad. I figured it is now the time. I am in my early 30s and ready to start my path to a better career (gotta start sometime Tongue). I've narrowed down to either COSC or TESU and am looking at the BSBA. Time and money are a factor, i figure i gotta start asap.

I would like to take advantage of FEMA, Kaplan, TEEX and any other free credits of course up front and apply those accordingly to the BSBA. What college takes more than the other on the freebies? From reading it looks like COSC takes FEMA, but it is worth it?

TESU sounds attractive with the university lingo, and doing courses via SL sound attractive after reading RANSOMSOULs thread because I can grab credits from one source and not be bouncing around everywhere...and stay at home. I am a spreadsheet man, I figure that would be the best way for me to get an idea what is in store for me.

After I receive the degree from either of the above, I would eventually like to apply to a local college for my masters in either CIS/MIS in Oregon. So factoring in a GPA requirement if needed would be good as well to the above spreadsheet. Can that be done after the degree? Is it needed at all? I am probably looking at Portland State University, Oregon State University or Oregon Institute of Technology.

Again the best/free/cheapest solution sounds like it would be the easiest on me and the family in our current position. Starting with Free credits as well to get back into the school groove.

Any help or assistance (spreadsheet) will help me immensly! Thank you!
COSC will give you more free credits, but I think they make up for that by charging for the Cornerstone and Capstone courses. With the ability to test out of TESU's Capstone, I think it is cheaper than COSC.

But if you want to just do all of the free credits you can, that's not a bad place to start. I would take them all now (Kaplan, Insurance Ethics, TEEX), and then FEMA if you still want to consider COSC.

You also might want to think getting the cheapest credits as well - ALEKS and Saylor. With ALEKS, you're only paying $20/mo, and with Saylor it's only $25/course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
X86 Wrote:I am a spreadsheet man, I figure that would be the best way for me to get an idea what is in store for me.
Any help or assistance (spreadsheet) will help me immensly! Thank you!

+1 on what dfrecore mentioned... See here for a BSBA General Management Spreadsheet:
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...egree.html
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html

Are you starting from scratch or do you have some college credits already? What job were you doing before you were laid off?
Another option to get credits is doing a PLA for $379/12 credits and another PLA for $250/6 credits for evaluating your "work experience".
As long as it's going towards what you've learned and is relevant to what degree you want to obtain, you can get some credits for it.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
X86 Wrote:After I receive the degree from either of the above, I would eventually like to apply to a local college for my masters in either CIS/MIS in Oregon. So factoring in a GPA requirement if needed would be good as well to the above spreadsheet. Can that be done after the degree? Is it needed at all? I am probably looking at Portland State University, Oregon State University or Oregon Institute of Technology.

Outside of the GPA, are there other requirements for these programs?
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

bjcheung77 Wrote:+1 on what dfrecore mentioned... See here for a BSBA General Management Spreadsheet:
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...egree.html
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html

Are you starting from scratch or do you have some college credits already? What job were you doing before you were laid off?
Another option to get credits is doing a PLA for $379/12 credits and another PLA for $250/6 credits for evaluating your "work experience".
As long as it's going towards what you've learned and is relevant to what degree you want to obtain, you can get some credits for it.

thanks everyone for the responses. it really is motivating and helpful. the other night i finished kaplan's pla and applied it to ace (just approved!). plan on going through TEEX and the insurance ethics course next.

for the BSBA at tesu, what math courses can i knockout with ALEKS?
X86 Wrote:thanks everyone for the responses. it really is motivating and helpful. the other night i finished kaplan's pla and applied it to ace (just approved!). plan on going through TEEX and the insurance ethics course next.

for the BSBA at tesu, what math courses can i knockout with ALEKS?

Take Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra (required for degree), Precalculus if you can finish quickly, and Intro to Statistics (required for degree). One of them will go into Quantitative Literacy, two will go in the Math area, and if you take a 4th course, it can just go in GE. Only do Precalc if you can finish fairly quickly and painlessly, I wouldn't pay an extra month for it if you hated it or it was going to suck up a lot of your time, but if you're enjoying it, go for it!

After you finish a course, go to ACE and have it added, don't start on the next course until you see it approved in ACE. Then go into your master account and switch to a new course.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Take Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra (required for degree), Precalculus if you can finish quickly, and Intro to Statistics (required for degree). One of them will go into Quantitative Literacy, two will go in the Math area, and if you take a 4th course, it can just go in GE. Only do Precalc if you can finish fairly quickly and painlessly, I wouldn't pay an extra month for it if you hated it or it was going to suck up a lot of your time, but if you're enjoying it, go for it!

After you finish a course, go to ACE and have it added, don't start on the next course until you see it approved in ACE. Then go into your master account and switch to a new course.

Time flew and it seems like life got in the way. That's always more important (family). Well, I am back now and it appears a lot has changed over the course of a year. Kaplan's PLA dropped off my ACE, and I never did start ALEKS or TEEX. Is ALEKS still ok to pull the trigger on with all of these expiration threads I'm seeing? I would like to resume with a spreadsheet, maybe a fresh one that I could fill in as it looks like the last one I have has some old costs and options. I am still starting pretty much from scratch.

Can anyone recommend some economical and maybe 3-6 month timeframe classes I could take to get finished up this year? I want to work aggressive and probably mostly self paced and in the evenings.

Thanks!
X86 Wrote:Is ALEKS still ok to pull the trigger on with all of these expiration threads I'm seeing

It's still valid until AT LEAST march 31st, but we don't know what happens after that at this point. If you think you can finish your ALEKS class(es) by then, then yes it's definitely worth doing (and it's a reasonable time frame).
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:It's still valid until AT LEAST march 31st, but we don't know what happens after that at this point. If you think you can finish your ALEKS class(es) by then, then yes it's definitely worth doing (and it's a reasonable time frame).

nice! any chance if you know two people in the household want to pursue if you need two separate accounts? or can two use it?
X86 Wrote:nice! any chance if you know two people in the household want to pursue if you need two separate accounts? or can two use it?

Cost is the same whether you sign up separately or as 2 students under 1 master account. You have to have 2 separate student accounts, as it tracks you. And ACE only gets 1 person's name per account, so you'd need separate accounts for that reason as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 587 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 268 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 616 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,757 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 216 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 501 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 285 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 851 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,236 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM