Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSBA International Business at Tesc - Degree Plan - Please Help
Hi everyone,

The following are my requirements to earn a BSBA at TESC.
I'm going in with no previous applicable credits and would like to test out of the whole Degree. I am at a loss, to figure out which tests to take for which subjects and what would be allowed. I would be grateful for any feedback. Thanks

I. General Education Requirements 60
A. English Composition 6
B. Humanities 12

* Managerial or Business Communications (3)
* Other Humanities(9)
Must include at least two subject areas

C. Social Sciences 12

* Macroeconomics -(3) - Clep
* Microeconomics - (3) - Clep
* Other Social Sciences (6) - What can I use for these?

D. Natural Sciences and Mathematics 9

* Quantitative Analysis (3) - Clep?
* Principles of Statistics (3) - Clep?
* Other natural sciences (3)- what can I take for these?

E. General Education Electives 21

II. Professional Business Requirements 54

A. Business Core 27
* Business Law (3)
* Computer Concepts and Applications/Introduction to Computers/CIS (3)
* Principles of Financial Accounting (3)
* Principles of Managerial Accounting (3)
* Principles of Finance (3)
* Introduction to Marketing (3)
* Business in Society or International Management (3)
* Business Policy - (3)
* Principles of Management - (3)

B. Area of Study: BSBA in International Business 18

* Required Subjects
o Introduction to International Business
o Choose one of the following: International Economics, International Finance or International Marketing* -(6)

* Electives
o International Accounting
o International Monetary Systems
o International Transportation
o Import-Export Management
o Law and Multinational Business
o Management of Foreign Operations
o Multinational Entry Strategies

(12)
C. Business Electives 9
III. Free Electives 6
Total 120
socalgirl,
There are good threads that cover a similar path. Try this one first. http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-tesc.html Please note that the Straighterline Business Communication can now cover the Gen Ed requirement instead of having to take the TESC course.

International Business may be tough to completely test out of....so you may have to weigh how important the complete testing out option is. The General Mgmt concentration can almost be completely done thru testing out. If you are looking at self-paced business course options check out Business Courses - Distance Learning - Extended Studies - Adams State College

When starting from scratch make sure you obtain the latest Official CLEP Guide which costs about $20 and has sample tests for all of their exams. There may be subjects that you can test out of cold. I did the 6 credit Humanities, Social Sciences and History, and Analyzing and Interpreting Lit CLEP's with under an hour of study. Everyone is different, but I am saying that the book is invaluable for gauging your readiness for any of the CLEP exams. There also sample test exams for DSST. Make sure you utilize this site too Free Clep Prep.com
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Geezer Wrote:socalgirl,
There are good threads that cover a similar path. Try this one first. http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-tesc.html Please note that the Straighterline Business Communication can now cover the Gen Ed requirement instead of having to take the TESC course.

International Business may be tough to completely test out of....so you may have to weigh how important the complete testing out option is. The General Mgmt concentration can almost be completely done thru testing out. If you are looking at self-paced business course options check out Business Courses - Distance Learning - Extended Studies - Adams State College

I too am interested in international biz, but there's no need to get the undergrad in IB if you plan on getting a masters. If you have a general management/biz undergrad, it could go nicely with a masters in IB. I had no problem getting into my emerging markets MBA program (see below in my sig) with just a normal biz undergrad. I actually think it's going to be more interesting because I won't be covering the same stuff that I already learned for the BS. IMHO, I would just try to get the undergrad done as quickly as possible.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
You guys are right on that. After running through a lot of the course requirements, I've noticed that the IB is quite difficult to completely test out of. I think I am just going to do the BSBA in General Management and then focus on IB during my MBA. Just trying to find the best and easiest equivalencies for some of the courses.
Levi's link covers most of the course equivalencies. ALEKS can cover the Stats and PreCalc and general math for $20 a month, so you may want to add that into the mix.

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-tesc.html

Post your final plan once you think you have it figured out and the board will help you tweak it. Levi's plan covers 90% of it.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Isn't all business international now that we have full fledged globalization? Smile
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Yeah, ryoder it sure is. I think that particular concentration won't stand apart from the General Management degree without study abroad and/or overseas internships, and perhaps additionally near fluency or fluency in a language other than English.
Someone had put together this link with Tesc equals to various tests. I had saved it as a link on my computer or I would give them credit! This should help you too when putting together your plan.

http://degreeplanners.com/media/TESC_Equivalencies.pdf
Testing CreditsALEKS- Beginning Algebra, CLEP Intro Psychology, CLEP Principles of Management, CLEP Principles of Marketing, CLEP Info Systems & Computer App, CLEP Intro Sociology, CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Literature, DSST Environment & Humanity, DSST Here's to Your Health, DSST Organizational Behavior, DSST Personal Finance, DSST Substance Abuse, DSST Supervision
Class Credits
English Composition 1, English Composition 2, Nutrition, Intercultural Communications, Introduction to Business, US History 2, College Algebra, HR Management, Professional Selling, Consumer Behavior, Managing Organizational Change, Art Appreciation, Music Appreciation, Statistics
Here comes my opinion.

If you are in a company as a young person with no experience other than a bachelors degree. And this company has locations across the country and is deciding to expand internationally. Do you think that the company would consult a new hire with a degree in international business to plan the entry strategy into the new markets? I don't think so.

I think people should stick to the basics and technical like computer information systems, accounting, finance, marketing etc.

Leave the high level topics like international business, entrepreneurship, strategy and policy etc to those with 15 plus years of experience.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Thanks everyone, I actually have over 15 years of work experience and 5+ years of international work experience. The only things I am lacking are my degrees. I agree in regards to going ahead with a BSBA in General and then going wtih the MBA in International Business. I've been working on the business plan for a couple of days now and I'll post it later today. I'd be grateful for any feedback. Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,224 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,870 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,356 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,681 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,888 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
Thumbs Up TESU BSBA spreadsheet - request for feedback mykal335i 4 2,047 08-30-2018, 10:58 PM
Last Post: mykal335i
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,024 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,336 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627