Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSBA
Alrighty then. I have decided to bite the bullet and pursue a BSBA. (Whoever gave me that advice -thank you. You have helped me make a choice that has been plaguing me for a long time.) TESU is the school I have been looking at, but I am not married to that particular choice.
I'm going to list below all the credits I have obtained from my short time in college. If anyone could help me figure out a roadmap to my degree, I would be so very thankful.

CC Credits:

Thr 120   Theater Appreciation  
Eng 101   English Composition
Bio 101    Introduction to Biology
Bio 103    Principles of Biology I
Bio 104    Principles of Biology II
His 101    Western Civ I
His 102    Western Civ 2
CIS 146    Microcomputer Applications
SPA 101   Spanish

CLEPS:
Intro to Sociology
English Comp (Non essay)

I am an older student (33) and I really want to get on track and working towards this degree now that I have selected it.
Run, don't walk, to Sophia and take as many free courses as you can. The ones not to take would be foundations courses, college readiness, the 1-credit courses, and (of course) English Comp. I and Intro to Sociology. (The 1-credit classes are always free, you can skip those and get the ones that are normally $330 instead.)

You have approximately 4 months from now to complete them all. 16 weeks to complete about 20 classes. You should be able to complete a good number in a month. On July 30th, you sign up for all the classes you didn't finish yet. That will lock them in as free and give you 2 months + 1 month extension to complete them all. If you happen to not finish a class, there is no penalty. But the more you finish, the easier/cheaper the rest of your degree will be.

Your degree plan will then depend on how many Sophia.org classes you manage to finish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-29-2020, 12:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Run, don't walk, to Sophia and take as many free courses as you can. The ones not to take would be foundations courses, college readiness, the 1-credit courses, and (of course) English Comp. I and Intro to Sociology. (The 1-credit classes are always free, you can skip those and get the ones that are normally $330 instead.)

You have approximately 4 months from now to complete them all. 16 weeks to complete about 20 classes. You should be able to complete a good number in a month. On July 30th, you sign up for all the classes you didn't finish yet. That will lock them in as free and give you 2 months + 1 month extension to complete them all. If you happen to not finish a class, there is no penalty. But the more you finish, the easier/cheaper the rest of your degree will be.

Your degree plan will then depend on how many Sophia.org classes you manage to finish.

TESU is accepting Sophia Intro to Sociology as SOC 101 Intro to Sociology  in the Diversity Intercultural Literacy 3SH for my BSBA .. so why are you advising he not take?
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(06-29-2020, 02:41 AM)cerich67 Wrote: TESU is accepting Sophia Intro to Sociology as SOC 101 Intro to Sociology  in the Diversity Intercultural Literacy 3SH for my BSBA .. so why are you advising he not take?
Because OP already took the CLEP Intro to Sociology. Won't they duplicate?
(06-29-2020, 02:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 02:41 AM)cerich67 Wrote: TESU is accepting Sophia Intro to Sociology as SOC 101 Intro to Sociology  in the Diversity Intercultural Literacy 3SH for my BSBA .. so why are you advising he not take?
Because OP already took the CLEP Intro to Sociology. Won't they duplicate?

Fair enough, it's early and I did not see the CLEP stuff at bottom.. :-)
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cerich67's post:
  • rachel83az
You didn't put how many credits each course is, so I'll just go with 3cr each, and then if anything is different, you have to make the appropriate changes.  You want to take as many courses as you can through Sophia, but you don't want to take anything you can't use, so planning is key here.  You have limited time to get these done.  The ones in BOLD RED are the ones I would prioritize.

Here's how Sophia will work, and what I'd do:

AREA A
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION: English Comp II
ORAL COMMUNICATION: Public Speaking
QUANTITATIVE LITERACY: College Algebra

AREA B
ETHICAL LEADERSHIP: Intro to Ethics
CIVIC ENGAGEMENT: NOT AVAILABLE

GE ELECTIVES (12cr max)
Approaches to Studying Religions
Art History I
Art History II
Conflict Resolution
Visual Communications
Ancient Greek Philosophers
US History I
US History II
Intro to Psychology
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Intro to IT
The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)

BUSINESS CORE/AOS
Intro to Statistics
Macro & Microeconomics
Accounting
Project Management

FREE ELECTIVES (6cr max)
Developing Effective Teams (1cr)
Intro to Business
Anything you didn't take previously

(06-28-2020, 10:03 PM)brandiel Wrote: CC Credits:

CLEPS:
English Comp (Non essay) - this duplicates Eng 101
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
To everyone who commented on this post, thank you so much. You are literally helping me change my life and I am so appreciative of it.

(06-29-2020, 12:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Run, don't walk, to Sophia and take as many free courses as you can. The ones not to take would be foundations courses, college readiness, the 1-credit courses, and (of course) English Comp. I and Intro to Sociology. (The 1-credit classes are always free, you can skip those and get the ones that are normally $330 instead.)

So, go ahead and sign up just make sure that by the 30th of July I have all the ones I need signed up for?

(06-29-2020, 04:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You didn't put how many credits each course is, so I'll just go with 3cr each, and then if anything is different, you have to make the appropriate changes.  You want to take as many courses as you can through Sophia, but you don't want to take anything you can't use, so planning is key here.  You have limited time to get these done.  The ones in BOLD RED are the ones I would prioritize.

Here's how Sophia will work, and what I'd do:

AREA A
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION: English Comp II
ORAL COMMUNICATION: Public Speaking
QUANTITATIVE LITERACY: College Algebra

AREA B
ETHICAL LEADERSHIP: Intro to Ethics
CIVIC ENGAGEMENT: NOT AVAILABLE

GE ELECTIVES (12cr max)
Approaches to Studying Religions
Art History I
Art History II
Conflict Resolution
Visual Communications
Ancient Greek Philosophers
US History I
US History II
Intro to Psychology
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Intro to IT
The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)

BUSINESS CORE/AOS
Intro to Statistics
Macro & Microeconomics
Accounting
Project Management

FREE ELECTIVES (6cr max)
Developing Effective Teams (1cr)
Intro to Business
Anything you didn't take previously

(06-28-2020, 10:03 PM)brandiel Wrote: CC Credits:

CLEPS:
English Comp (Non essay) - this duplicates Eng 101

Sorry, I forgot to add the credit hours. All of them are 3 except orientation being 1. All 3 of the bios are 4 hrs each. Spanish is also 4 hours.
Brandiel, being 33 is not old at all. I am 10 years your senior and I started many many times over from scratch, I bit the bullet and was determined to get things done in 2016, I also created the Beginner's Guide on this and the sister board to keep track of things and in the long run give newbies the basics to hacking their own degree plan.

I noticed you created a previous thread a couple of months ago. I understand sometimes "starting" is daunting as you're not sure where to begin and afraid to take courses that don't apply to your degree. For most degrees such as the BALS/BSBA, the first 90 credits are virtually identical, it's the "final" 30 that make up the difference and thus your major/concentration.

To finish your general education/free elective courses, take all you can at Sophia.org that doesn't duplicate what you already have... Just sign up for one course at a time for Sophia.org and complete them 1 at a time but, when it's around July 20 or so, sign up for all the ones that you haven't taken yet, you have 2 months from the date to complete them.

TLDR-Recap, don't take too much time deciding on degree or what courses to take, follow the advice on this thread and your previous thread linked here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...com--34579 - One last piece of advice, get a secondary monitor to multi-task.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ms_butterfly
(06-29-2020, 08:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Brandiel, being 33 is not old at all.  I am 10 years your senior and I started many many times over from scratch, I bit the bullet and was determined to get things done in 2016, I also created the Beginner's Guide on this and the sister board to keep track of things and in the long run give newbies the basics to hacking their own degree plan.

I noticed you created a previous thread a couple of months ago.  I understand sometimes "starting" is daunting as you're not sure where to begin and afraid to take courses that don't apply to your degree.  For most degrees such as the BALS/BSBA, the first 90 credits are virtually identical, it's the "final" 30 that make up the difference and thus your major/concentration.

To finish your general education/free elective courses, take all you can at Sophia.org that doesn't duplicate what you already have... Just sign up for one course at a time for Sophia.org and complete them 1 at a time but, when it's around July 20 or so, sign up for all the ones that you haven't taken yet, you have 2 months from the date to complete them.

TLDR-Recap, don't take too much time deciding on degree or what courses to take, follow the advice on this thread and your previous thread linked here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...com--34579  - One last piece of advice, get a secondary monitor to multi-task.

Thank you! I don't feel old for the world, just old for being a beginning student and because of that I'm like, let me get this done asap.  That's awesome that you put together all this helpful information. The people here are doing amazing work.
(06-29-2020, 08:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: To finish your general education/free elective courses, take all you can at Sophia.org that doesn't duplicate what you already have... Just sign up for one course at a time for Sophia.org and complete them 1 at a time but, when it's around July 20 or so, sign up for all the ones that you haven't taken yet, you have 2 months from the date to complete them.

Sophia has a new policy - you can only be enrolled in 2 courses at a time, so this is not going to work.  But it was nice while it lasted.

And, this is why you have to prioritize your courses.  ONLY take the most important ones now, and get through as many as you can, but don't waste time on stuff you don't need/won't fit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 26 307 37 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,254 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Searching for elective core finance online courses-BSBA in Finance @ TESU Ofeezee 39 3,317 11-21-2023, 06:03 AM
  CALLING ALL GENIUES.....Planning BSBA HCM glammie83 11 1,006 11-15-2023, 03:36 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU BSBA Accounting - Need to plan remaining classes Dosada 6 565 11-14-2023, 02:53 AM
  TESU BA CS & BSBA CIS Goal Pach 34 2,576 09-10-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Pach
  Advice on remaining courses (BACS AND BSBA CIS) whitenight 9 560 07-20-2023, 01:48 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  High Schooler Options - BSBA / BABA prettykiti09 18 1,499 05-16-2023, 07:30 AM
  Help needed: BSBA in Finance. From scratch, what is the best route? Jrjr8800 4 626 01-26-2023, 04:15 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BSBA HR or Healthcare - Please Help QueenD 5 654 01-20-2023, 11:10 PM
Last Post: davewill